Help with my Izzet burn/control deck.

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alright so I bought the Izzet pre-con and have been following all the major threads about Izzet decks and now I think its time for me to put up my own list and see what you guys think about it. I am trying to make it a burn control deck but kind of find myself more towards the burn right now and a bit skimpy on the control. I am still winning games with this deck I just want to know what everyone thinks about my deck. I have about $50 to spend.
Creatures:
4x Goblin Electromancer
4x Guttersnipe
Spells:
1x Wild guess
1x Blustersquall
4x Searing spear
2x Chandras fury
4x Izzet charm
4x Pillar of flame
2x Mizzium mortars
2x Krenko's command
4x Annihilating fire
4x Desperate ravings
Lands:
2x Steam vents
2x Izzet guildgate
9x Mountain
10x Island
Thanks in advance for any help anyone might give me. 

How are you usually winning games? What I mean to say is, what is the deck style and what are typical plays?

I would try -1 Pillar of Flame +1 Mizzium Mortars

You have the mancer so the mortars is much more playable.

I would also try -1 Wild Guess -1 Blustersquall.

I'd rather have more burn in here or more draw. Tapping their creatures might give you a chance to play a mortars next turn but with a 1 off it won't come up too often. I'm assuming you don't have more mortars though so maybe adding 2 Thoughtflares instead of the wild guess and bluster squall would help.

If you don't like Thoughtflare you could try reforge the soul. It's good for burn decks since they run out of steam rather quickly. 

Another thing I've thought about is getting rid of Krenko's command and putting in a Frostburn Weird. It can hold off creatures more effectively and can help wall while you burn the player directly or while you wait to draw out a guttersnipe. It can also draw some bill spells away from the guttersnipe and the mancer. It's a 2 cmc so it'll come out before the snipe to do blocks if need be. 

Plus, if you run out of cards and aren't drawing anything, you can try swinging in with the weird. It's really flexible.

So maybe in the end you could do 

-1 Pillar of Flame

-1 Wild Guess

-1 Blustersquall

-2 Krenko's command

+ 4 Frostburn Weird

+ 1 Mizzium Mortars

How are you usually winning games? What I mean to say is, what is the deck style and what are typical plays?

I would try -1 Pillar of Flame +1 Mizzium Mortars

You have the mancer so the mortars is much more playable.

I would also try -1 Wild Guess -1 Blustersquall.

I'd rather have more burn in here or more draw. Tapping their creatures might give you a chance to play a mortars next turn but with a 1 off it won't come up too often. I'm assuming you don't have more mortars though so maybe adding 2 Thoughtflares instead of the wild guess and bluster squall would help.

If you don't like Thoughtflare you could try reforge the soul. It's good for burn decks since they run out of steam rather quickly. 

Another thing I've thought about is getting rid of Krenko's command and putting in a Frostburn Weird. It can hold off creatures more effectively and can help wall while you burn the player directly or while you wait to draw out a guttersnipe. It can also draw some bill spells away from the guttersnipe and the mancer. It's a 2 cmc so it'll come out before the snipe to do blocks if need be. 

Plus, if you run out of cards and aren't drawing anything, you can try swinging in with the weird. It's really flexible.

So maybe in the end you could do 

-1 Pillar of Flame

-1 Wild Guess

-1 Blustersquall

-2 Krenko's command

+ 4 Frostburn Weird

+ 1 Mizzium Mortars

Well so far it seems as though I am winning by just burning everything pretty quickly and having the guttersnipes doing most of the work. I was already planning on removing the cards you mentioned before, they were more or less just placeholders till I found something more suitable.
I think that removing Krenko's command would actually work pretty well, but I was on the fence about adding those Frostburn weirds or adding more control like syncopate rewind or cancel, maybe even a few think twices. One question I still have is how does my land distribution look at this point? I always forget the ratio for land. Also What do you think about fitting a Talrand in there for good measure?

From my point of view Talrand won't fit that well here. He doesn't really do anything until turn 5 at the earliest. And even then it would only attack for two. You'd have to cast instants on your fifth turn or your oppenents after that to get flying creatures to swing with.

The positive side of him is that he gives you chump blockers so you can keep aiming spells directly at your opponent and evasive attackers that can get in for the final damage if you need it. I think it's worth testing out. I'd test him instead of the weirds if you want. I haven't played with him personally but the card itself is highly rated on the gatherer website. 

The weirds are for holding faster decks back. But from what you're saying it doesn't seem like you've had much trouble with too many creatures or having all of yours removed. 

I wouldn't go past 12 creatures though. You'd reduce the number of instants/sorceries and risk not having enough triggers.

Your deck is red heavy so I would up change the land to make it look like the following. 

If you can, sulfur falls are better than the gates so maybe look for those if you want.

Cool deck idea. Let me know how it goes.

Sign In to post comments