Art style and D&D next....

Can we have an example of some of the art to go into the next D&D? I really hope you add MANY aspects of the old school art. Like that which is in the early versions of the game. What do you all think about this art style: fierydragon.com/dragonsbreath/wp-content...

NO ANIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yell
What exactly do you mean by anime?

Play whatever the **** you want. Never Point a loaded party at a plot you are not willing to shoot. Arcane Rhetoric. My Blog.

Can we have an example of some of the art to go into the next D&D?

You can find some of the art direction for D&D Next in Jon Schindehette Dragon' Eye View's column.

[sblock]

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Love that picture of a Paladin in Hell; I would like the art to be black and white, and sparse (save the MM).
I've removed content from this thread. Trolling/baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct

You can review the Code of Conduct here: company.wizards.com/conduct

Please remember to keep your posts polite, on topic and refrain from personal attacks. You are free to disagree with one another as long as it is done in a respectful manner. 
As mediocre as that image is, I like that:

A. The armour seems realistic, as opposed to today's popular fantasy art style.
B. The sword looks medieval.

Its rediculous stuff like below I don't want to see ever again (sorry Paizo, great game but I find your art terrible).

I just like my art realistic.

www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ba...
Jon Schindehette is a great artist, his art style is probably the only thing i am looking forward from D&DNext as of now as i found artwork to be very inspiring for things like NPCs (supporting cast and antagonists) and PCs i build.  And yes, i do think the image you linked looks dull and boring...is something you would expect from an amateur/unprofesional publication in 70s/80s, not from a profesional publication on 2013/2014.

And yes, i don't like pathfinder artstyle either, because of how messy it looks 
Can we have an example of some of the art to go into the next D&D? I really hope you add MANY aspects of the old school art. Like that which is in the early versions of the game. What do you all think about this art style: fierydragon.com/dragonsbreath/wp-content...

As much as I love a lot of art from AD&D (see my avatar), I do not like Sutherland's stuff.  It's stiff, misproportioned, and stilted.  Stick to Trampier, the master of First Edition art.

That said, I find art to like in every edition.   
just no pictures like this...

just no pictures like this...

Yes, not sure why they went with so much of that artist's work in the PHBs.

Those dragonborn noses, ugh... 
This is an orc warrior:

this is something to laugh at:

This is an orc warrior:

I'm actually glad you said that because when I initially looking at the picture I was thinking "What's that? Like a Werewolf or Shifter or something?".

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
I greatly prefer full color art to black and white.  I always find black and white art to be a bit boring, especially for a genre like fantasy in which colors are so much a part of everything.

Similarly, I find realistic art (in terms of armor/weapon design) to be a bit on the boring side.  This is Dungeons & Dragons, so the art should be fantastical. 

I'm not sure how to describe the style I like much more than that, other than saying that I like very clearly drawn images.

For those showing examples of art you don't like, it would help to explain why.  For example, Trance-zg, what don't you like about the picture of the elves?  What do you find laughable about the second orc picture?

RE: ORC WARRIOR

That's precisely the kind of art I don't like, its not proportioned properly.. have you ever seen someone with such a narrow waistline and broad shoulders? And look at those muscles, is he on steroids?

Where is the hand strap for his shield? Does is it just float there? What’s with the dress? Oh right, it’s a samurai orc.

Nice hair and teeth, I didn't realise orcs had dentists and hair salons.

And that is what the OP is refering to by 'anime' art.

We don't want super-hero manga samurai, we want something that looks convincing.

That's precisely the kind of art I don't like, its not proportioned properly.. have you ever seen someone with such a narrow waistline and broad shoulders? And look at those muscles, is he on steroids?

Where is the hand strap for his shield? Does is it just float there? What’s with the dress? Oh right, it’s a samurai orc.

We don't want super-hero manga samurai, we want something that looks convincing.

I always liked the one on the cover of Darkwalker on Moonshae.

Okay, when was the last time you examined an orc close enough?
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true">

THis is "anime art"? Wow, how the world has fallen.

So this is, in the end, another "I HAET ANIMU!"-thread? Without any actual relation to the anime artstyle?

And who is this "we" you are talking about? I certainly like the picture in question and would want more of a similar style.

Realism belongs to reality. This is fantasy. I want it to be fantastic. Not history-wank.

Naturally its a generalization, just like the Athletics skill lol. You can have fantasy and still have a knight look like a knight.

Google Demon's Souls art for instance, its fantasy, there is dragons, ghosts, what have you. But the knight's armour and weapons look practical, the knight is proportioned, not exagerated.

So this is, in the end, another "I HAET ANIMU!"-thread? Without any actual relation to the anime artstyle?

And who is this "we" you are talking about? I certainly like the picture in question and would want more of a similar style.

You might think that "anime art" would be art that is in some remote way evocative of at least some sort of anime, but you'd be super wrong. "Anime art" is actually, as this thread and other art threads demonstrate, an art style defined entirely by being art that the person using the term doesn't like, normally because it's art from an edition that he doesn't like as much. It's more or less the art equivalent of "like WoW". (Needless to say, WoW's art style is super duper anime.)

Dwarves invented beer so they could toast to their axes. Dwarves invented axes to kill people and take their beer. Swanmay Syndrome: Despite the percentages given in the Monster Manual, in reality 100% of groups of swans contain a Swanmay, because otherwise the DM would not have put any swans in the game.
Can we have an example of some of the art to go into the next D&D?

You can find some of the art direction for D&D Next in Jon Schindehette Dragon' Eye View's column.

Oh god, it's those halflings again.

Oh god.  My eyes.  I'm bleeding from my eyes.

Tongue Out

Seriously though, I can't reasonably convey how much I hate the halfling art.
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)
I honestly do not know why everybody hated the Halfling art. They look absolutely silly and ridiculous, which is perfectly fitting because Halflings are absolutely silly and ridiculous. It's the most perfect that the Halfling art has ever been.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!

You might think that "anime art" would be art that is in some remote way evocative of at least some sort of anime, but you'd be super wrong. "Anime art" is actually, as this thread and other art threads demonstrate, an art style defined entirely by being art that the person using the term doesn't like, normally because it's art from an edition that he doesn't like as much. It's more or less the art equivalent of "like WoW". (Needless to say, WoW's art style is super duper anime.)

Yeah. I have no ****ing clue why they seem to think 4e's art is "anime", when it's really just an exaggeration of the dungeonpunk style prevalent in 3e.

I wouldn't mind having art like Berserk, especially if it meant the Fighters were actually competent! Well, minus the occasional bit of nudity and the odd **** scene or two that the manga has.
Come visit Dark Side of the Moon, the new home to the Nasuverse fandom!
I like the art for the 5th Ed halfling, except for the first shot of the balloon-headed chick.

The rasta mon halflings are cool for Dark Sun, but not as default, for me. 
I honestly do not know why everybody hated the Halfling art. They look absolutely silly and ridiculous, which is perfectly fitting because Halflings are absolutely silly and ridiculous. It's the most perfect that the Halfling art has ever been.

Ha ha so I'm not the only one!  I also liked it.  I completely agreed with what Jon wrote about halfling art from the past: they looked exactly like humans.  You could only tell they were halflings if there was something else in the picture for a size reference, and I don't think that is a good way to go.  Similarly, if giants look exactly like humans, something is wrong.  You should be able to tell what a creature is even if there are no size references in the picture.

I dislike the new Halfling art too and hope this direction for it isnt adopted.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

I am hoping for some stick figure and pixel art.

Not all the art has to be fancy smancy.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

So, I'm by no means a trained art critic, so this is uninformed opinion.    But, it felt to me that 4e had very repetitive art.  I never warmed to the caricature art - the ones with huge weapons,unblemished and unrealistic faces, and monochromatic skin tones.  It made me feel like they were "cartoon", but perhaps there's a better name for that style.   
If felt like much of the realistic art was poorly executed, leading to uncanny valley problems.  The elves look a bit strange, making me dislike them.  If I had to guess, that's why 
People don't like the new halflings - their skin looks wax museum dead.  
Personally, black and white is something I'd prefer limits on.  The op asked about the paladin in hell.     Personally, meh.   I like some portions of it - I don't love that slicing a guy means giving him an animal pelt.  

Still, please have variety in your art!    It's good to give direction on what halflings should look like, it's bad to choose the exact same artists and for e them todraw the same style.   I'd much rather have anime, black and white, maya based 3d, and bad photorealistic  images than only have 1 style, even if I like it.  

I like where 5e is going with the stylethough.    
I forgot this little toon hidden in the back of Reclaiming Blingdenstone Playtest adventure.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

This thread:

Art with good proportions, excellent posing, good colouring = things I like
Anime = things I don't like

...Anyways, I think I could pick and choice art I love and hate from every PHB ever (cept 3.5, god were those people ugly). Art is way too subjective to treat as a "have this/don't have this" diachotomy. While I think 4e has the best art in D&D, I think we're better off collecting technically profiencent art in various styles, particularly action scenes.
Decades have past and I never tire of the Paladin in Hell...

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

I forgot this little toon hidden in the back of Reclaiming Blingdenstone Playtest adventure.

The sense of volume is really good...it almost looks 3d CGI with cel-shaders
I'm really hoping for something like this.
[sblock]

The metagame is not the game.
[sblock]

That looks old and unappealing...it also looks flat and dull

I don't think they'll be hiring CLAMP to do the art designs. Though, I would buy the books immediately if they did.
[sblock]

NICE LOOKING ART!!! 

Here we go...classic look!  images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt...
Most players over 30 do not care for the pathfinder look!
What we need is more Jason Chan....Art(?) He have worked with wotc before.  He seem to nail fantasy really well.

What we need is more Jason Chan....Art(?) He have worked with wotc before.  He seem to nail fantasy really well.

Also very neat.  I would like to see that alongside the Elmore I posted before.

I think the part I really enjoy is backgrounds.  I like to see entire scenes, and I'm tired of the cut-out figures wading through a field of text.

The metagame is not the game.
I'd love it if Jason Chan was the look of Next. His art is consistantly incredible.
Dwarves invented beer so they could toast to their axes. Dwarves invented axes to kill people and take their beer. Swanmay Syndrome: Despite the percentages given in the Monster Manual, in reality 100% of groups of swans contain a Swanmay, because otherwise the DM would not have put any swans in the game.
Bad, dull, and faded-looking scan, but this is my favorite D&D image ever:

Originally from the AD&D 2E Complete Bard's Handbook. <3

Danny

[sblock]

I couldn't agree more. My favorite Elmore artwork from the AD&D 2nd edition Player's Handbook !

Yan
Montréal, Canada

The strap for his shield is actually on his arm.
That looks old and unappealing...it also looks flat and dull

Exactly what I expected to show up in this thread: The art I dislike most. Blech. I absolutely hate this kind of artstyle. Flat, unimaginitive, not very well drawn and just... booooooooooring. These kind of artworks turn me off a game.  I just hate the Elmore art and consorts.
Give me more Argyle! :o

No one disagrees that modern fantasy art is more aesthetically pleasing. Elmore was over 30 years ago and people's criteria have since changed - especially in this kind of art.

I think what Jon says in his article is that in today's art you tend to find more super heroic-pin ups and 'in your face' combat scenes, rather than emotive pictures with more implicit action that can create immersion. Aside from good illustration you also need to have pictures that have a story to tell. Like the one Saelorn posted or like this one:

It's not a combat scene, it doesn't depict some badass monster slayin' hero, but kind of gets your imagination working:  "who is this girl", "why is she talking to those people", "what's the king thinking about this", "Where could that scene take place". And from there you can either  think of a good adventure idea that you can throw at the PCs, or a very good character concept / background if you're a player, which is a big WIN for D&D art.

What I'm saying is, imagine that scene drawn by Jason Chan. That would be something I'd want to see in DDN.