Why do Thri-kreen live so short?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just wondering
They're bugs. Some flies live for hours or days. Giving kreen a few decades seems very generous.

From a design perspective, it's also a nice break from the "you all live the same as humans, except elves, who live almost forever" thing that consumes many fantasy games. SOMEONE has to have a shorter lifespan than "average". 
They're bugs. Some flies live for hours or days. Giving kreen a few decades seems very generous.

From a design perspective, it's also a nice break from the "you all live the same as humans, except elves, who live almost forever" thing that consumes many fantasy games. SOMEONE has to have a shorter lifespan than "average". 

Well half-orcs do
You also have to keep in mind that they hardly sleep, its more like they take breaks to meditate, so that would cut their lifespan down too.
That`s just how they were written in the original setting. There is nothing that says you can`t interpret them differently in your version of the setting! Maybe they have evloved naturally or magically to live longer in your version of Athas, maybe some tribes live longer than others or maybe thri-kreen in your game world or interpretation of Dark Sun get reborn in a new egg when they die, like cylons download in a new body in battlestar galactica, maybe people are just ignorant and belive thri-kreen live very short lives because they resemble insects.
I like the short lives, but I agree about changing them in your setting. In my world all thri-kreen are females (the males are mindless drones nobody ever sees).
Sign In to post comments