Mortal Wound? Its uses?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alright, for some reason, I seem to keep misunderstanding the usefulness of Mortal Wound. Originally, I misread it and though it could be used on your opponent's creatures (which seemed to make more sense). But instead, it seems as if the card is suppose to allow your creatures to last until the start of your next turn. I can understand this is the the creature had a chance to act, but it seem the creature would die anyway. Also, the damage prevention would generally only be needed on your opponent's turn, so your creature would be dead before it could act. I know I'm missing something here. Also, tagging on the Level 4 requirement seems high if it is not as effective as it seems it should be.

So please, someone set me straight. I know I'm overlooking something. Thanks.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
You are certainly overlooking something, the card destroys the creature during the deply phase which is after activations, if you can remove it they won't die.
You are certainly overlooking something, the card destroys the creature during the deply phase which is after activations, if you can remove it they won't die.

Thanks. For some reason I kept thinking the Deploy phase was first. Must be because I was playing Snig the Axe and putting creatures out early. Just confused myself. That makes a little more sense now.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
It happens, I usually confuse myself at least once a game.
 Oooh, I hadn't noticed that little tidbit. Much nastier than I originally thought.
Yeah, in particular in the Tyranny warband you could conceivably play 8x CON cards (if you can get the 4x Tough as Nails... I only own two myself since I'm not made of money ;)) that remove an attached card, not to mention Dwarf Cleric, Rally or Saving Throw.
Sounds like a very nasty strategy, especially if they use something Sneak Attack on you.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

Yeah, if only it stopped the Short Sword Frown
Still not nearly as good as Uncanny Dodge.

Side by side comparison: both prevent all damage from a single source.  Uncanny dodge is 2 levels lower, making it far more versatile.  Uncanny dodge requires you to immediately discard any other order card as payment.  Mortal Wound will also require you to expend another order card to keep your guy alive, but it has to be the right one; alternatively if you have a cleric out and in range he can expend a standard action instead.

Ultimately, uncanny dodge does the same thing but it's way more versatile.  Nearly any creature can use it, and you can toss any order card you have.  Mortal wound can only be used by a few creatures, and unless you have the right order cards or a cleric available, your creature is going to die anyway.