Copying Geist of Saint Traft Angel Token

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I think this is an easy question, but I want to make sure I don't embarass myself this FNM. If I have Geist of Saint Traft on the battlefield and declare him as an attacker, then I can copy the Angel token with either Cackling Counterpart or Rootborn Defenses any time during the combat phase and have that copy come in untapped and remain as a permanent after the end of combat, right? The first Angel token would be exiled, of course.
That is correct. You can can copy the token. The copy will enter the battlefield untapped and not attacking. Only the original token will be exiled.
note: if there was a Parallel Lives out, both angel tokens entering tapped and attacking would be exiled, but both tokens created by Counterpart or populate would not.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Follow up question : With Parallel Lives, the second token created by the Geist is not forced to attack the same thing as the first token, right ?
right, it can attack something else
proud member of the 2011 community team
right, it can attack something else

Weird. It seems to me like both of the tokens should have to be attacking the same target as the geist since they never attack, they are just attacking. I thought you declared targets when you attacked and all.

Though I guess if it's in the rulings :

9/22/2011You declare which player or planeswalker the token is attacking as you put it onto the battlefield. It doesn't have to be the same player or planeswalker Geist of Saint Traft is attacking.

Then I guess it must just be that way. 
508.4. If a creature is put onto the battlefield attacking, its controller chooses which defending player or which planeswalker a defending player controls it’s attacking as it enters the battlefield (unless the effect that put it onto the battlefield specifies what it’s attacking). Such creatures are “attacking” but, for the purposes of trigger events and effects, they never “attacked.”

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out