3 Oblivion Rings

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
So i heard if you play 3 Oblivion rings that target each other you can make an infinite little cycle or loop of Oblivion rings that keep exiling each other, the explanation being:

Play 1st Oblivion Ring (ring 1) and target anything

Play 2nd Oblivion Ring (ring 2) and target ring 1, whatever was targeted with ring 1 comes back

Play 3rd Oblivion Ring (ring 3) and  target ring 2. Ring 1 then comes back and targets ring 3.

Rinse. Lather. Repeat. Thoughts from those who haven't heard of this? Anybody actually pull this off? 

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
that's an endless loop and if there is no other non-land permanent the game is a draw
proud member of the 2011 community team
It works because the trigger on O-ring is mandatory, and if only O-rings are present, they will continually exile and return each other.

Luis Scott-Vargas did this on MTGO and posted it on youtube.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

I've seen it done with Faceless Butcher x3

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

As long as the first O-Ring exiles the only other non-land permanent and it is a token, yes, it's an endless loop.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

As long as the first O-Ring exiles the only other non-land permanent and it isn't a token, yes, it's an endless loop.

fixed

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

As long as the first O-Ring exiles the only other non-land permanent and it isn't a token, yes, it's an endless loop.

fixed

No it isn't fixed.  It if is a token then a second O-Ring would only be able to exile the first O-Ring with nothing returning and the third O-Ring would target the second and release the first targeting the third and loop.  If it is a non-token permanent then it would come back when the second o-ring exiles the first and would then be a legal target for either the third or first o-ring.

The other way it would happen is if it is like the LSV video. 
Rinse. Lather. Repeat. Thoughts from those who haven't heard of this? Anybody actually pull this off? 

I usually lather before I rinse.  I guess it depends on what order you put them on the stack tho...
This is also explained in the second official ruling for Oblivion Ring:

If there are no nonland permanents on the battlefield other than an Oblivion Ring, and the card it exiled was another Oblivion Ring, casting a third Oblivion Ring will result in an involuntary infinite loop that will end the game in a draw (unless someone chooses to break it by putting another nonland permanent onto the battlefield or destroying one of the Oblivion Rings, for example).