[Game] 20 Questions

757 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I got bored and designed a card.

But instead of just revealing it for criticism, I've decided to let you folks *guess* the design, since new games are apparently all the rage right now ;)  You can do that by asking me yes or no questions and posting your guesses.  In case you are a penguin secretly accessing the internet from McMurdo Station and have never heard of 20 Questions, here are the rules adapted to YMTC in pretty much the most obvious way possible.

The Simple, Simple Rules
1. You may ask 1 yes or no question per post.
2. Each post, if you asked a question, you must design ONE card as your guess for that post.  For each post you make with a question, you get to design another card.  I won't answer a question that doesn't include a guess.
3. You don't have to wait for me to answer previous questions before asking another question and posting another guess.
4. No double questions unless no one else has asked a question for at least 1 hour.  Give everyone a chance to play!
5. Talking amongst yourselves and commenting on designs that everyone posts is very much allowed and welcomed!  Just try not to derail the thread too hard.

6. The person with the correct guess thinks up the next card and the game begins again.

Note: You don't have to guess the card's name or flavor text, but feel free to add it to your designs.  There are no custom keywords or anything like that.

Following Koridian's lead, I've decided to provide a hint after every 7 answers, regardless of those answers being "yes" or "no."
Old Rule
At any time if there are 5 "no" answers to questions in a row, I will give a hint.  This number may change based on how well things are progressing.

(If nobody likes this game, I will quietly let it wither to the recesses of YMTC, forgotton by all but Google, the Wayback Machine, and my eternal self-deprecation.)

Good luck!!

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Is it a bird?

Instant Storm
Tribal Instant - Bird
Target creature becomes a 1/2 Blue Bird with Flying until end of turn.

"Never have I felt such power as I do now that it flows through my avian veins!"
- Nicol Bolas, Ex-Dragon
Is it a bird?

Instant Storm
Tribal Instant - Bird
Target creature becomes a 1/2 Blue Bird with Flying until end of turn.

"Never have I felt such power as I do now that it flows through my avian veins!"
- Nicol Bolas, Ex-Dragon

Best flavor text ever!

Would that I could go back in time to make it so, alas!  It is not a bird.

1. Not a Bird.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
If it nay be a bird, pray tell, be it a creature at all?

Well, there isn't a lot to go off of:

Lasav, the Avianophobe
Legendary Creature - Shapeshifter

~ is all creature types except Bird.

Sacrifice a creature: ~ becomes a copy of target non-Bird creature except its name is ~ and maintains this ability.

Whenever a creature named Storm Crow enters the battlefield, ~ becomes a 0/1 colorless artifact creature named Rock and loses all abilities.

4/2
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
If it nay be a bird, pray tell, be it a creature at all?

Yes!  And Storm Crow still remains the dominant card in Magic, apparently.

1. Not a Bird.
2. Is a creature.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
Maybe it's nit a bird but a flying thing... You know a dragon.

Ghoul-Hungry Dragon

Creature - Dragon (M)

Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield exile all Zombies on the battlefield then put a +1/+1 counter on ~ for each Zombie exiled this way.
: Remove a +1/+1 counter on ~. Exile target Zombie.

"Finally a way to get rid of those darn ghouls and to keep that dragon from eating us!"
-George, Average Farmer
5/5

A typical   trying to get somewhere in the Multiverse, allons-y?

DOCTOR WHO OOOOOOOOEEOOOOOOOO OOOOOOEEOOOOOOO (I'm weird, cant help it)

Famous Quotes:

144543765 wrote:
I was browsing through some cards in gatherer and I noticed something really odd - the transforming cards from Innistrad like Mayor of Avabruck have separate comments and ratings for each side. Isn't that totally stupid? It feels as senseless as having two different pages for each side of a split card or having different pages for Nimble Mongoose with and without threshold.

56965528 wrote:
*mutters under his breath* Squinty's Wife: "What was that!?!?" Umm, I said.... umm..... ahhh.... *another smack upside the head* Squinty's Wife: "Care to try again?" *shakes head vigerously* Squinty's Wife: "That's better." ~SE++ *whimpering*

Current deck goals:

NON-AGGRO, NON-MONO RED deck (Not getting very far with it though)

Standard mono red deck for FNM next Friday

Does it have CMC of above 4?

Outlawed Alpha
Creature-Wolf
Trample, Haste
At the beggining of your upkeep, summon a 2/2 green wolf with trample and haste.
At the beginning of your end step, sacrifice a wolf
He was outlawed because he used the pack as food.
2/2
[*c]Island[*/c] minus the * = Island Really. You need to know this.
Also
We are the Izzet Some think we are scattered after the disappearance of Niv-Mizzet He is connected to us by the firemind He has formulated a master plan Before, we were just experimenters, looked down upon Now we have a greater purpose This bit is random And so is this Yeah
Maybe it's nit a bird but a flying thing... You know a dragon.

Please try to phrase your yes or no questions in the form of a....errr....question

It is not a Dragon.

Does it have CMC of above 4?

I like how your guess assumes the answer to your question is no!

Well, you're right; it does not have a CMC of 5 or higher

1. Not a Bird.
2. Is a creature.
3. Not a Dragon.
4. Not a CMC of 5 or more.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
A green creature?

Hungry Anteater

Creature - Anteater (U)

Tap: Destroy target Insect. 
Sacrifice an Insect: Regenerate ~

3/3

A typical   trying to get somewhere in the Multiverse, allons-y?

DOCTOR WHO OOOOOOOOEEOOOOOOOO OOOOOOEEOOOOOOO (I'm weird, cant help it)

Famous Quotes:

144543765 wrote:
I was browsing through some cards in gatherer and I noticed something really odd - the transforming cards from Innistrad like Mayor of Avabruck have separate comments and ratings for each side. Isn't that totally stupid? It feels as senseless as having two different pages for each side of a split card or having different pages for Nimble Mongoose with and without threshold.

56965528 wrote:
*mutters under his breath* Squinty's Wife: "What was that!?!?" Umm, I said.... umm..... ahhh.... *another smack upside the head* Squinty's Wife: "Care to try again?" *shakes head vigerously* Squinty's Wife: "That's better." ~SE++ *whimpering*

Current deck goals:

NON-AGGRO, NON-MONO RED deck (Not getting very far with it though)

Standard mono red deck for FNM next Friday

1. Not a Bird.
2. Is a creature.
3. Not a Dragon.

Is it an obscure/rare creature type? (Like is it an Octopus, or Phelddagrif, or Whale?)

Tricky Octopus -- :UM::UM:
Creature - Octopus (U)

Whenever Tricky Octopus becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls for the first time in a turn, counter that spell or ability.
Whenever Tricky Octopus becomes blocked, you may pay :UM:. If you do, untap it and remove it from combat.

2 / 1

Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Is it a multicolored card

Warrior Princess
Creature - human warrior (U)

Haste, First strike, Lifelink

4/2
Don't be too smart to have fun
Is it aggro?

Soldiers in a Hurry -
Creature - Human Soldier
First Strike
All creatures has haste.
2/2 
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
A green creature?

Anteaters, the anti-green, green creatures.  It is not green!

Is it an obscure/rare creature type? (Like is it an Octopus, or Phelddagrif, or Whale?)

This question is a tricky as your guess!  Take care not to ask subjective questions.  But, in this case it's clear.  It is not a rare creature type.

Is it a multicolored card

For the princess, a hint shall be given, for multicolored it is not.  But rather perhaps a forgotten toy from her youth, long since the last time it was wound.

Is it aggro?

In haste to ask a question, do ensure the question is clear and can be well defined.  I'm not sure if presence in an aggro deck is where it ought, but aggro itself it is not.

1. Not a Bird.
2. Is a creature.
3. Not a Dragon.
5. Not green.
6. Not a rare creature type.
7. Not multicolored.
Hint 1. Is toy-like.
8. Not aggro.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
Is it an artifact?

Horrible Doll
Artifact Creature - Doll

Whenever an opponent plays a spell ~ deals 2 damage to them.

1/4 
Ego
144902215 wrote:
Morgothra has the Syntax and Grammar of a God.
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
I can't compete with this.
57461258 wrote:
@Morgothra: Beautifully said, sir. Beautifully said.
Contest Winners
CKY, magicpablo666 and Dinobeer combined ingenuity and silliness to win a Summer fUn contest each! vlord beat the rest to become the architect of a better tomorrow in Build it and they will come! CityofAs pranced masterfully to victory in Skipping Merrily! ConfusedAsUsual conquered both tropes and opponents to ascend in Metafiction! FirstTurnKill condensed Success into Art form in Summing it Up!
Does it have any evergreen keywords?

Honorable Veteran --
Creature - Human Soldier
~ has first strike, vigilance and lifelink as long as you have less life than each opponent.
2/2

ceci n'est pas une signature.

^It's not green.
Ego
144902215 wrote:
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
57461258 wrote:
Contest Winners
CKY, magicpablo666 and Dinobeer combined ingenuity and silliness to win a Summer fUn contest each! vlord beat the rest to become the architect of a better tomorrow in Build it and they will come! CityofAs pranced masterfully to victory in Skipping Merrily! ConfusedAsUsual conquered both tropes and opponents to ascend in Metafiction! FirstTurnKill condensed Success into Art form in Summing it Up!
^It's not green.

Does the color of the card matter? I thought it was just  the question?

For the princess, a hint shall be given, for multicolored it is not.  But rather perhaps a forgotten toy from her youth, long since the last time it was wound.

This clue is refereincing Kayla-Bin-Kroog's Music box from her mother... or the key that Urza repaired for her that she used to wind it.

Someone already asked if its an artifact and I now know it must be... so my question is... does the card build up charge counters in some way?

Kayla's Key
Artifact
T: add a charge counter to Kayla's Key
Remove a charge counter from Kayla's key: add 1 to your manapool

2. Each post, if you asked a question, you must design ONE card as your guess for that post.  For each post you make with a question, you get to design another card.  I won't answer a question that doesn't include a guess.

It has to be a guess for the card.
Ego
144902215 wrote:
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
57461258 wrote:
Contest Winners

It has to be a guess for the card.

Ah, thanks Morgothra. *Goes to edit card.*

Is it, perchance, a Jack-in-the-Box?

Jack-in-the-Box of Doom
Artifact Creature - Construct
, : Add a charge counter to ~.
Remove X charge counters from ~, : ~ deals X damage to target creature.
All around the mulberry bush, Jack just killed your creatures.

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

Is it an artifact?

That doll is quite frightening!  It is an artifact

Does it have any evergreen keywords?

It has three less than yours ever could.  It has no evergreen keywords.

Someone already asked if its an artifact and I now know it must be... so my question is... does the card build up charge counters in some way?

It must be an artifact, that much is true, but it also must be a creature, too.  It does not build up charge counters.

Is it, perchance, a Jack-in-the-Box?

The toy shop such a Jack-in-the-Box came from must have been the same as the Horrible Doll!  It is not a Jack-in-the-Box.

1. Not a Bird.
2. Is a creature.
3. Not a Dragon.
5. Not green.
7. Not multicolored.
Hint 1. Is toy-like.
8. Not aggro.
9. Is an artifact.
10. Does not have evergreen keywords.
11. Does not build charge counters.
12. Is not a Jack-in-the-box.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
Does it have a converted mana cost of 2?

Teddy bear 2
Artifact creature - bear
Indestructible
Creatures must block ~ if able.
0/1
you said no evergreen keywords... what about abilities in general?  so: is it vanilla?

Child's Golem
Creature - Golem
"Though young, my pupils are still artificers.  They are small, but they think big." -- Korra, Heartmund Headmistress
3/3
Does it have a converted mana cost of 2?

The teddy is definitely a much nicer toy!  It does not have a CMC of 2.

you said no evergreen keywords... what about abilities in general?  so: is it vanilla?

It isn't vanilla, but do not fret; the Golem is a giant of a toy compared to it.

1. Not a Bird.
2. Is a creature.
3. Not a Dragon.
5. Not green.
7. Not multicolored.
Hint 1. Is toy-like.
8. Not aggro.
9. Is an artifact.
13. Not a CMC of 2.
14. Not a vanilla creature.
Hint 2. Is smaller than 3/3 (P & T).

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
Is it colourless?

Stringless Marionette
Artifact Creature - Golem
, : Tap or untap target creature.
Being once bound,  he now knows which strings to pull
1/2 

Decks
Modern

Bloody Fangs

Cruel Master

Life Unbound

Survival of the Fittest

EDH

The Indomitable Doran, the Siege Tower

Mimeomancy The Mimeoplasm

Cube

360 Pauper "Colour Basics"

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Is it colourless?

Free of strings, the marionette now knows to ask questions before presuming.  It is, in fact, a colorless artifact.

1. Not a Bird.
2. Is a creature.
3. Not a Dragon.
5. Not green.
7. Not multicolored.
Hint 1. Is toy-like.
8. Not aggro.
9. Is an artifact.
13. Not a CMC of 2.
15. Is colorless.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
Does it have a tap ability?

Clockwork Pyromancer
Artifact Creature - Wizard Doll

:R::T: ~ Deals 1 damage to target creature or player.

1/2 
Ego
144902215 wrote:
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
57461258 wrote:
Contest Winners
Does it have a tap ability?

I imagine the creator of a toy such as yours would get quite a bad rap.  However, the creature that I am thinking of has no activated ability that requires it to tap.

1. Not a Bird.
2. Is a creature.
3. Not a Dragon.
5. Not green.
7. Not multicolored.
Hint 1. Is toy-like.
8. Not aggro.
9. Is an artifact.
13. Not a CMC of 2.
15. Is colorless.
16. Does not have a ability.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
Ok everyone, only 4 questions left, so lets think about this. Its an artifact creature with a cmc of either 4, 3, 1 or 0. P/T is less than 3 and has an ability that doesn't and isn't evergreen.

Question: Does its power equal its toughness?

Toy Boat
Artifact Creature- Boat
When ~ enters the battlefield, target land becomes an island until ~ leaves the battlefield.
1/2
"But I took a bath last week!"
does it have an ETB ability?

Child's Puppet
When Child's Puppet enters the battlefield, tap or untap target artifact.
1/1
Power is power and mana is to, is it a creature that adds mana too?

Lotus catcher
Artifact creature - Construct
Sac ~ add 3 mana of any one color to your mana pool
1/2
Winning games/contests http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29530975/Break_the_Card_:_Fiend_Hunter
A note up front, to clear up any misunderstanding.  You have as many questions as it takes to get the right answer.  The round won't end when exactly 20 questions have been used.

Does its power equal its toughness?

It's power and toughness are lopsided waves in a bathtub the toy boat sets sail on.  It's power does not equal its toughness.

does it have an ETB ability?

Like a new gift right out of the box, a child's eyes light up from the sight of a......present   It has an ETB ability.

Power is power and mana is to, is it a creature that adds mana too?

You've caught the idea with your lotus flower catcher; it does indeed add mana with it's tiny stature.

1. Not a Bird.
2. Is a creature.
3. Not a Dragon.
5. Not green.
7. Not multicolored.
Hint 1. Is toy-like.
8. Not aggro.
9. Is an artifact.
13. Not a CMC of 2.
15. Is colorless.
17. Its power does not equal its toughness.
18. It has an ETB ability.
19. It adds mana.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
Is it a mana filter, by any chance? If I get this right, I might just dance! (Had to rhyme, since you were, too; it got in my mind as the thing to do :P )

Mistform Music Box
When ~ enters the battlefield, tap target creature.
: Add 1 mana of any color to your mana pool.
Its song is so sweet, no matter who winds it up.
1/2

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

are the ETB and mana-production one in the same, a la free spells of urza days?

Gnome Puppet
Artifact Creature - Gnome
When Gnome Puppet enters the battlefield, add to your mana pool.
Remarkably effecient.
0/1
Is it a mana filter, by any chance?

Not as conventional as your guess, but the correct answer to your question is yes.

are the ETB and mana-production one in the same, a la free spells of urza days?

The puppet could perhaps be the beta version, but as answered above, there is a bit more conversion.  It is a "free spell" just like how you stated.

1. Not a Bird.
2. Is a creature.
3. Not a Dragon.
5. Not green.
7. Not multicolored.
Hint 1. Is toy-like.
8. Not aggro.
9. Is an artifact.
13. Not a CMC of 2.
15. Is colorless.
19. It adds mana.
20. It is a mana filter.
21. It is a "free spell."

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
is it a one-time filter?

Gnome Puppet

Artifact Creature - Gnome
When Gnome Puppet enters the battlefield, add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
Remarkably effecient.
0/1
Is it a 0/1 like Stuffy Doll, or am I not even close at all?

Random Toy of Infuration
When ~ enters the battlefield, add to your mana pool for each point of damage dealt to you or creatures you control this turn.
My toy, it protects me by drawing energy from my pain. I wouldn't hurt me if I were you.
0/1

is it a one-time filter?

Not to be difficult but Gnomes are so few.  We're getting so close, let's see what you do.  It is a one-time filter.

Is it a 0/1 like Stuffy Doll, or am I not even close at all?

There are some things missing on this toy that have been answered before; but a 0/1 it is, that I am sure.

1. Not a Bird.
2. Is a creature.
3. Not a Dragon.
5. Not green.
7. Not multicolored.
Hint 1. Is toy-like.
8. Not aggro.
9. Is an artifact.
13. Not a CMC of 2.
15. Is colorless.
19. It adds mana.
20. It is a mana filter.
21. It is a "free spell."
22. It is a one-time filter.
23. It is 0/1.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
is it cmc 1?

Child's Bauble
When Child's Bauble enters the battlefield, add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
0/1

EDIT = changed typeline//name -- i hope this doesn't violate rules
Child's Myr
Artifact Creature - Myr
When Child's Myr enters the battlefield, add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
0/1

The round is up and my card has been spotted, using but a handful of questions more than allotted.

Moxwoven Myr |
Artifact Creature -- Myr
When ~ enters the battlefield, add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
Many a child is fascinated by a new toy; but when the spark fades and the tarnish sets, only the most loyal of children continue to find comfort.
0/1

Congratulations Koridian!  It's your turn to think of a card -- when you're ready to accept questions, go ahead and kickoff the next post!  You don't have to rhyme your answers, lol -- I'm not really sure why I started, but it just snowballed from there.

EDIT = changed typeline//name -- i hope this doesn't violate rules

HA!  But you were right   Since I didn't see the edit, before I posted, you still win.  Ideally, you don't change your guess though ;)

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
Sign In to post comments