What? Another Game-style Contest? I guess that's Life.

310 posts / 0 new
Last post
Howdy. Life is a pretty weak game, in this humble poster's opinion - but all the good ones were taken. Anyway, my version is going to be much wetter - I mean, when isn't it, right? So, come on down and play.

Game works pretty simple. You design a card, and I give you a grade between 1 and 10. You then move that many spaces. On each space is a different criteria, so you may want to consider if you really want the grade of 10 - of course, if one of you is able to gauge my psychic desires to pinpoint which card will get a 7 and which will get an 8, then I will be very impressed. Oh, and upon each spot you'll recieve a card semi-randomly (e.g. Time Walk) that you will be able to help yourself or to hinder your opponents. Most of them should be self-explanatory. If they aren't, I'll happily explain them.

You are currently on Space 0. The criteria: Make a card that represents Birth. Simple and easy. Should you wow me, you'll move 10 spaces. Should you disappoint and insult me, you'll move 1. Most of you will probably land somewhere in between. The first person to 100 wins!

Wait a moment, while I put up a roadmap and a roster.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Rules
I. You may cast any number of spells each turn.
II. W/r/t spells that cause you to draw cards, the cards will be drawn after the next grading period.
III. Counterspells effect other players' spells, not submissions.
 IIIa. Counterspells that can only target specific sorts of spells (e.g. Artifacts), can only target those spells.
IV. Any card that gives a + bonus to a creature or cause a player to gain life will increase your next card's score by the amount specified. Conversely, any card that gives a - deduction or causes a player to lose life or causes damage to be dealt to a target will decrease the targeted player's next card's score by the amount specified.
V. Cards that cause an opponent to discard a card effect that player's hand at the beginning of the next turn. Random discard will be determined by your Godlike host.
VI. Permanents must be cast, but once they are cast they remain on the battlefield until they are sacrificed, destroyed, or bounced. They may be taken control of.
VII. Cards that have a required life cost will cause your cards score to be reduced by that much, should you choose to cast them.
VIII. Permanents with an activated effect may be activated once and only once each turn.
Spells Cast Last Turn

FirstTurnKill: Activates Jandor's Ring, discarding Declaration of Naught.
Altimis: Casts Noggin Whack targetting ChaosLight. He forces her to discard Ogre Shaman and Brothers of Fire. Then he casts Soot Imp.
ChaosLight: Casts Noxious Toad and Phyrexian Driver.
FirstTurnKill: Cycles Street Wraith.
an_endless_epidemic: Casts Rakdos Guy
theScion: Plays Oasis and casts Unyaro Griffin.

Spells Cast Last Last Turn

ChaosLight: Unsummons her Phyrexian Rager. Recasts it. Casts Terashi's Grasp on Altimis's Heightened Awareness. Then she activates Muse Vessel targeting IceMetalPunk.
Altimis: Kyren Negotiations, Grave Pact, and Sparky. Which he taps to deal one damage to ChaosLight(putting her at +3). He then discards Underworld Connections in order to return Phyrexian Rager to CL's hand.
3-7-15-1-292: Casts Stomp and Howl targeting Curse of Whatever and Muse Vessel.
FirstTurnKill: Thoughtbind on Kyren Negotiations. Which puts Chaos back at +4.

That's it I guess.

Spells Cast Last Last Last Turn

Steinhauser: Loots with Jalum Tome causing 3-7-15-1-292's Psychic Possession to trigger.
azuro_arcanis: Casts Gaea's Anthem.
Ice_Metal_Punk: Casts Devouring Greed targeting 3-7-15-1-292 and sacrificing: nothing.
ChaosLight: Casts Phyrexian Rager.
Altimis: Casts Ghostly Wings on ChaosLight's Ogre Shaman.
FirstTurnKill: Casts Coral Helm and Jandor's Ring and Arc Lightning targetting 3-7-15-1-292.
3-7-15-1-292: Activates Gwendlyn Di Corci targetting FirstTurnKill. FirstTurnKill discards Psychic Purge.

Spell Cast Last Last Last Last Turn

ChaosLight: Curse of Whatever enchanting 3-7-15-1-292
 and Plagiarize targeting Altimis.
Altimis: Dragon Thing
 and Cycling Clear - though Glob knows why. . .
an_endless_epidemic: Galvanic Blast targeting Altimis.
3-7-15-1-292: Gwendlyn Di Corci
 and Psychic Possession enchanting Steinhauser
 and Giant Growth targeting his or her self.
Altimis: Dream Fracture targeting ChaosLight's Plagiarize
 and Coercion targeting ChaosLight's Muse Vessel.
ChaosLight: Force of Will targeting Altimis' Coercion
Steinhauser: Jalum Tome + activation of said Tome.
Azuro_Arcanis: Dash Hopes on 3-7-15-1-292's Psychic Possession.
 and puts Inkmoth Nexus onto the battlefield.
ChaosLight: Muse Vessel
3-7-15-1-292: Pays 5 Life in response to Dash Hopes.
Altimis: Casts Master Thief and targets ChaosLight's Muse Vessel.
 and he casts Heightened Awareness.
ChaosLight: Casts Ogre Shaman + activates ability targeting Master Thief.
 She discards Amok.

Permanents in Play
theScion: Peter, Oasis, and Unyaro Griffin.
ChaosLight:Phyrexian Rager, Phyrexian Driver, and Noxious Toad.
Altimis: Dragon Thing and Grave Pact and Sparky.
3-7-15-1-292: Gwendlyn Di Corci
 and Psychic Possession enchanting Steinhauser.
Steinhauser: Jalum Tome
Azuro_Arcanis: Inkmoth Nexus and Gaea's Anthem.
FirstTurnKill: Coral Helm and Jandor's Ring.
an_endless_epidemic: Rakdos Guy

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Roadmap
Space 1: Design a creature with 0 toughness.
Space 2: Design an artifact with Madness.
Space 3: Design an Elf Lord that doesn't help other Elves.
Space 4: Design an Aura that can both help and hurt a creature.
Space 5: Design an Epic Spell.
Space 6: Design a Land that produces each time you tap it.
Space 7: Design a Counterspell with CMC 9.
Space 8: Design an Aura that enchants Auras. 
Space 9: Design a 1/1 vanilla creature.
Space 10: Design an card that has one word of rules text.
Space 11: Design a Planeswalker with only one loyalty ability.
Space 12: Design a non-germ living weapon.
Space 13: Design a party.
Space 14: Design a pet.  (ha ha, seems fitting)
Space 15: Design a non-creature discard outlet. Morgothra
Space 16: Design a card that does the opposite of Proliferate.
Space 17: Design a Polymorph variant for any other colour. 
Space 18: Design a card that cares about graveyard order.
Space 19: Design a Legendary Elk. azuro_arcanis
Space 20: Design a shapeshifter that can't become a creature.
Space 21: Design a land with at least one evergreen ability.
Space 22: Design an Enchantment that involve heavy library shuffling.
Space 23: Design an Instant or Sorcery that puts tokens into play under an opponent's control.  and  and
Space 24: Design a card that would complement one of the cards in your hand. If you have no cards in your hand, design a card that would complement having no cards in your hand.
Space 25: Choose one of the criteria before this one. Design it.
Space 26: Design a card that causes your opponent to name a card.
Space 27: Design a pump spell for non-creatures.
Space 28: Design a signature spell for a Legend.
Space 29: Design an artifact that turns off when tapped.
Space 30: Design a Land with Soulbond-like ability.
Space 31: Design a card without the letters A, C, and T.
Space 32: Design a WereSomethingthatisn'twolf.
Space 33: Design a Magus.  and and
Space 34: Design an Aura with Totem Armor.
Space 35: Design a Mox.
Space 36: Design a card with a new mechanic - one that involves sacrifice. 
Space 37: Design a Board Wipe for Blue.
Space 38: Design a Subgame card.
Space 39: Design a Fortification.
Space 40: Design a lord for a lordless creature type.
Space 41: Design a method of communication.
Space 42: Design a symphony.
Space 43: Design a Student who Teaches. Steinhauser
Space 44: Design a Teacher who Studies.
Space 45: Design non-red burn.
Space 46: Design common lifegain.
Space 47: Design a creature that evolves.
Space 48: Design a snow permanent.
Space 49: Design a card that makes you reveal the top card of your library.
Space 50: Design a four colour sorcery.
Space 51: Design a spy.  and  and
Space 52: Design a Golem of odd material.
Space 53: Design a craft worthy of space.
Space 54: Design a new card type. IceMetalPunk
Space 55: Design a card based on a disease.
Space 56: Design a tribal artifact.
Space 57: Design a card that begins with the word "Chartreuse" theScion and an_endless_epedemic
Space 58: Design a card with the number 58 in it. Dudibus
Space 59: Design a card with Shadow. FirstTurnKill and 3-7-15-1-292
Space 60: Design non-white exile.
Space 61: Design a card based on the Deity of your choice.
Space 62: Design an adumbrative card.
Space 63: Design an Incarnation.
Space 64: Design a non-lotus Flower. Like somekind of archetypal flower that magic could've adopted if they hadn't made Black Lotus.
Space 65: Design a liquid. ChaosLight and Altimis
Space 66: Design the first card of a game.
Space 67: Design a archetypal creature in three colours.
Space 68: Design a savior.
Space 69: Design a non-creature card with a mana cost in the teens.
Space 70: Design a card based on Myth.
Space 71: Design a Planeswalker with three abilities. They must all have the same Loyalty cost. E.g. Three abilities, each one is a +2.
Space 72: Design a token generating land.
Space 73: Design a card with rules text that rhymes.
Space 74: Design a card with no numbers on it.
Space 75: Design an Incarnation.
Space 76: Design a card with Flavour text in the form of a letter.

139359831 wrote:

139359831 wrote:
Gruesome Birth :B:
Sorcery

As an additional cost to cast ~, sacrifice any number of creatures.
Search your library for a black creature with power X and put it onto the battlefield, where X is the number of creatures sacrificed to ~. You lose X life.

Some are born kicking, screaming and covered in blood. They're the lucky ones. 
Ego
144902215 wrote:
Morgothra has the Syntax and Grammar of a God.
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
I can't compete with this.
57461258 wrote:
@Morgothra: Beautifully said, sir. Beautifully said.
Contest Winners
CKY, magicpablo666 and Dinobeer combined ingenuity and silliness to win a Summer fUn contest each! vlord beat the rest to become the architect of a better tomorrow in Build it and they will come! CityofAs pranced masterfully to victory in Skipping Merrily! ConfusedAsUsual conquered both tropes and opponents to ascend in Metafiction! FirstTurnKill condensed Success into Art form in Summing it Up!
Delivery Stork
Creature - Bird (R)
Flying
When Delivery Stork enters the battlefield, you may put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of target non-Bird creature you control, except it's 1/1.
Life's greatest gifts are never unexpected.
2/1

Are you really gonna think of 100 different criteria!!?
Mysterious Egg

Artifact creature -- Egg

Vanishing 1

When ~ dies, put a 0/4 blue Kraken creature token named ''Kraken Hatchling'' onto the battlefield. 

0/4

I've never seen such a tremendous egg! 

If I get dry, I'll probably just look at one of those Chain games, and pick criteria that I like from say >1 years ago. Nobody will ever know.

139359831 wrote:

If I get dry, I'll probably just look at one of those Chain games, and pick criteria that I like from say >1 years ago. Nobody will ever know.

So true.

Though aren't there multiple squares that are the same in life?  You could have a few same criterion so you only do like...95
Multibirth Chamber
Artifact
Multibirth Chamber enters the battlefield with X charge counters on it.
At the beginning of your upkeep, choose up to X target nontoken creatures you control and put a token that's a copy of each onto the battlefield, where X is the number of charge counters on Multibirth Chamber.
Twins? Triplets? No! Not enough!

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

Can you please change square nine? It's really boring to design for. 1/1 fine, vanilla fine, 1/1 vanilla is running slim on options. French vanilla could work.

Also, giving a square for each rav keyword gives you 15 squares (mix it up by making you design out of colour for that eyword). Unused futuresight keywords gives you a bunch more. I'll give you a cookie if you make one section to design cards to represent characters from Ravnica: Chain of Events. 
Ego
144902215 wrote:
Morgothra has the Syntax and Grammar of a God.
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
I can't compete with this.
57461258 wrote:
@Morgothra: Beautifully said, sir. Beautifully said.
Contest Winners
CKY, magicpablo666 and Dinobeer combined ingenuity and silliness to win a Summer fUn contest each! vlord beat the rest to become the architect of a better tomorrow in Build it and they will come! CityofAs pranced masterfully to victory in Skipping Merrily! ConfusedAsUsual conquered both tropes and opponents to ascend in Metafiction! FirstTurnKill condensed Success into Art form in Summing it Up!
Clutch of Eggs -
Enchantment
Whenever you're the target of a spell, put a 0/3 red Dragon Egg creature onto the battlefield.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may sacrifice an Egg creature. If you do, put a 5/5 red Dragon creature with flying onto the battlefield.
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
Can you please change square nine? It's really boring to design for. 1/1 fine, vanilla fine, 1/1 vanilla is running slim on options. French vanilla could work.

If I were you I'd wouldn't be too worried.

Oh, and this is open for a few days I guess. I'll give warning when I feel like closing it.

139359831 wrote:
Lil' Dudibus
Planeswalker - Lil' Dudibus
If Lil' Dudibus dies, you get an emblem with "Creatures you control must attack the player that killed Lil' Dudibus. If a spell you cast would target an opponent, it must target the player that killed Lil' Dudibus."
[+1]: look at the top card of your library.
[-1]: you get an emblem with "You have no maximum hand size."
[1]
He looked into her eyes and the universe starred back.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
I recommend closing this & grading, so we can see how we did!
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
Fine! This is over I guess. If anyone else submits before I finish grading, then I will accept their cards as well. That'll take me. I dunno. An hour or two?

139359831 wrote:
DUDE, moving spaces on a board equal to your card score is amazing. Please convert more board games to ymtc games using this idea. NOW.

Planar Birthing
Sorcery
Destroy each nonland permanent.
Choose a planar card you own from outside the game and put it 1st from the top of your planar deck, then planeswalk.

Morgothra

Gruesome Birth :B:
Sorcery

As an additional cost to cast ~, sacrifice any number of creatures.
Search your library for a black creature with power X and put it onto the battlefield, where X is the number of creatures sacrificed to ~. You lose X life.

Some are born kicking, screaming and covered in blood. They're the lucky ones. 

Flavour text is just lovely – but the actual card's name seems lacking. Surprisingly uncreative, kinda? Anyway, the card is pretty cool. One of my first cards was Sengir Autocrat. I didn't get it at the time, but now I truly understand the value that that little man gives you. Very black. Though I must admit that the “You lose X life.” at the end feels tacked on for power balancing. I can see a flavourful explanation for it I guess. Giving birth hurts. A lot. And just thinking about the flavour of this being actual birth kinda makes me queasy. Anyway – the card works well, but it fails to “wow” me. Don't worry. You won't have design a 1/1 vanilla creature this round.

7/10

You receive

Disfigure. Cast it on any opponent at any time to reduce the score of that player's next card by 2.

Steinhauser

Delivery Stork
Creature - Bird (R)
Flying
When Delivery Stork enters the battlefield, you may put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of target non-Bird creature you control, except it's 1/1.
Life's greatest gifts are never unexpected.
2/1

That's pretty cute. I just wish I could have baby Emmy. Flavour text is funky to me. Overall, this card wins for obvious reasons. I mean “wins” as in “does well” - but it still leaves something to be desired. I can certainly respect a good top down design when I see one. You have my respect.

8/10

You receive

Maggot Carrier. Cast it at any time to make each player's next card receive -1 to its score.

an_endless_epidemic

Mysterious Egg

Artifact creature -- Egg

Vanishing 1

When ~ dies, put a 0/4 blue Kraken creature token named ''Kraken Hatchling'' onto the battlefield. 

0/4

I've never seen such a tremendous egg! 

Cute. Kinda. This card is sort of a mess. It's all kinds of mixed up. I do like Kraken Hatchling a lot, but I dunno. Do you think you could have named it something more Kraken-y? And perhaps had the flavour text relate more to what is inside the egg? Mechanically it functions. Now every colour can have KH. That's a perk. Overall, I like where you were going, but I feel that this needs more elegance and less disjoint.

6/10

You receive

Monstrify. Cast it on any player to increase the score of his or her next card by 4.

IceMetalPunk

Multibirth Chamber
Artifact
Multibirth Chamber enters the battlefield with X charge counters on it.
At the beginning of your upkeep, choose up to X target nontoken creatures you control and put a token that's a copy of each onto the battlefield, where X is the number of charge counters on Multibirth Chamber.
Twins? Triplets? No! Not enough!

Oh, man, that's an ugly mana cost. I mean the whole card is kinda gross. However, the effect is definitely something I can get behind. The flavour text is bad. It just is and I'm sorry. So, back to the effect though. This is clearly an EDH card if I ever saw one. There are going to be a lot of memory issues here, but I'm not really concerned about that. I think people over-react about those. Anyway, ugly card with a pretty cool effect. Oh, and what if I pay Six? Is it still a Multibirth Chamber? I mean I guess, because I get another birthing during my next upkeep. I dunno. I still take issue with it.

5/10

You receive

Undermine. Cast it to counter another player's spell. That player's next card will receive a -3 reduction to its score.

theScion

Clutch of Eggs -
Enchantment
Whenever you're the target of a spell, put a 0/3 red Dragon Egg creature onto the battlefield.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may sacrifice an Egg creature. If you do, put a 5/5 red Dragon creature with flying onto the battlefield.

Hmmm. This seems almost broken. I mean not really. But I can get turn 3 5/5 Red Dragon? However, that takes some connoitering, and there are certainly more broken cards around. It makes me sad that you didn't insert your flavour text. I consider FT one of your strongest points. Anyway, 3 mana for an enchantment that doesn't do anything isn't really broken – but the card would be fun to break. Also, great Sideboard material, but maybe not, because it is really build around.

9/10

You receive

Swerve. Cast it at any time to change the target of another player's spell to another player.

Dudibus

Lil' Dudibus
Planeswalker - Lil' Dudibus
If Lil' Dudibus dies, you get an emblem with "Creatures you control must attack the player that killed Lil' Dudibus. If a spell you cast would target an opponent, it must target the player that killed Lil' Dudibus."
[+1]: look at the top card of your library.
[-1]: you get an emblem with "You have no maximum hand size."
[1]
He looked into her eyes and the universe starred back.

Some of that is really creative. The rest is tomfoolery. I can't tell if you really want to play. If you do, convert this card into a non-un-entry and let me know.

ChaosLight

DUDE, moving spaces on a board equal to your card score is amazing. Please convert more board games to ymtc games using this idea. NOW.

Planar Birthing
Sorcery
Destroy each nonland permanent.
Choose a planar card you own from outside the game and put it 1st from the top of your planar deck, then planeswalk.

That is an odd way to represent birthing Chaos. Having never played Planechase, I'm not sure on power level – but I assume that since it costs 7 it must be pretty strong. I guess Destroy Each Nonland Permanent is pretty powerful on its own. It seems to me that having a Plane out with no nonland permanents probably isn't going to be game-ending, but if you build around this, then maybe it will be. The only thing you lose points for is the odd interpretation of the criteria. Didn't quite have this sort of card in mind.

7/10

You receive

Amok. In all future rounds you may discard the cards you receive in order to improve the scores of your next card.

There you go. Go back to the second post to see your rank and your new criteria.

139359831 wrote:
I WILL ALWAYS TWIST YOUR CRITERIA D:<

Also there is always a plane out in planechase, the effect to planeswalk is basically worth 1 or 2 mana.
Well, I am excited to see how you twist the next one! It seems pretty straightforward.

139359831 wrote:
Metal Sanctuary 

Artifact land

Metalcraft -- as long as you control 3 or more artifacts, ~ has , Tap three artifacts you control, : add to your mana pool

Several years after the Phyrexians invaded our home, we survivors still know a spot to hide at, and reminisce over what our beautiful plane used to be. Shielgaud, Aurok Survivor
Howdy. Life is a pretty weak game, in this humble poster's opinion - but all the good ones were taken. Anyway, my version is going to be much wetter - I mean, when isn't it, right? So, come on down and play.

Game works pretty simple. You design a card, and I give you a grade between 1 and 10. You then move that many spaces. On each space is a different criteria, so you may want to consider if you really want the grade of 10 - of course, if one of you is able to gauge my psychic desires to pinpoint which card will get a 7 and which will get an 8, then I will be very impressed. Oh, and upon each spot you'll recieve a card semi-randomly (e.g. Time Walk) that you will be able to help yourself or to hinder your opponents. Most of them should be self-explanatory. If they aren't, I'll happily explain them.

You are currently on Space 0. The criteria: Make a card that represents Birth. Simple and easy. Should you wow me, you'll move 10 spaces. Should you disappoint and insult me, you'll move 1. Most of you will probably land somewhere in between. The first person to 100 wins!

Wait a moment, while I put up a roadmap and a roster.

Is it too late to join in? If I can sneak in on some of this.

Constricting Season -- :Xm::BM::GM:
Enchantment (R)

Fading X (This permanent enters the battlefield with X time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.)
If a creature would enter the battlefield, and it's controller doesn't control two other creatures that share a creature type with it, exile that creature instead.

"Papa, where do kids come from?"
"Well... when two goats love each other very much..."
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.

Is it too late to join in? If I can sneak in on some of this.

Constricting Season -- :Xm::BM::GM:
Enchantment (R)

Fading X (This permanent enters the battlefield with X time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.)
If a creature would enter the battlefield, and it's controller doesn't control two other creatures that share a creature type with it, exile that creature instead.

"Papa, where do kids come from?"
"Well... when two goats love each other very much..."

It's fine. I didn't get as many contestants as I expected so there is still plenty of room for latecomers. Especially when nobody has used any of their spells yet.

That's actually a really interesting effect. I wish it were to the graveyard. It is hard to make exile feel BG. Also, the flavour for that is kinda disturbing. And speaking of flavour, your flavour text, mate? It's kinda amazing. It's also very dumb. It's weighing out to neutral on my scale, but know that this is the most conflicted I've ever felt about flavour text, and that's saying something. I suppose this could be a little overpowered in some kind of tribal proliferate deck. Elves with mana ramp, and black proliferate effects? Even without proliferate it can still be a very good tempo piece. But seeing that it is conditional and it might have absolutely no effect, even if you build around it, I would not call it too strong. Just not fun enough - although neither is childbirth, usually, right?

7/10

You receive:
Dream Fracture. Should be self-explanatory. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

139359831 wrote:
Damn. An epic spell? Those are annoying. But, okay, I suppose I'll take it and just counter the best competitor with my card!

Speaking of which, when do we decide to use the cards? I don't know who I want to counter yet, but if I counter a spell after you've graded, that could get confusing...

Lonely Nights
Sorcery
Epic
Return all nonland permanents opponents control to their owners' hands.
"I'm all alone...no one to love...but everyone to kill!"
"Yeah...good luck with that."

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

Counterspell CMC 9:

Plan Ahead -- :UM::UM:
Instant (U)

Plan Ahead costs :XM: less to cast, where X is the converted mana cost of the last spell cast.
Counter target spell, then draw two cards.

"All is moving forward according to plan."

Are we allowed to comment on our stuff?

I intend this to be a limited (late-game) bomb.
Stall and equalize the board... then counter some ridiculous bomb and get ahead!
Yay counterspells!

This isn't my submission:

I just felt guilty going with the obvious, this costs less crap. So I decided to make a hard counter that cost 9.

False Hope -- :UM::UM::BM::BM:
Instant (R)

False Hope cannot be countered except by two or more spells and/or abilities.
Counter target spell. If it is countered this way, that spells controller takes an extra turn after this one. Exile that player's library.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
1 CMC Vanilla? Challenge accepted.

Ah, the 1 CMC vanilla...the haiku of cards. You have only these things to work with:

1. Name

2. Color (not mana cost)

3. Card type

4. Card subtype

5. Power/toughness (not this contest, thanks for the heads-up Steinhauser!)

6. Picture (not here)

The trick is to squeeze as much as you can out of those things. How creative can we get? Without context, it becomes much harder. For instance, Merfolk of the Pearl Trident becomes much richer when Master of the Pearl Trident is around. A card like Kraken Hatchling is an all-star in an aggro limited environment like Zendikar. Guys like Savannah Lions become a footnote after Elite Vanguard hits the field.

Without further ado:

Booster Memnite -
Artifact Creature - Contraption Construct
"My heart bleeds for all of them, denied life by their unseen maker." --Rigger Jordin
1/1

[spoiler designed to go along with a set of these]
Octopedian -
Artifact Creature - Rigger Construct
: Assemble a contraption onto ~. (To assemble, attach a contraption creature from your graveyard, adding its power and toughness to its host. Whenever its host would die, instead destroy a contraption attached to it. Contraptions can't attack or block when assembled.)
0/8
[/spoiler] 
Pablo this contest is awesome.

1 CMC Vanilla? Challenge accepted.

Pssssstt... That's a 1/1 vanilla.

Aura that enchants Auras. Well, at least I'm the only one in this category. So there will be no one to make me look bad.

This started off as sort of a joke but, I kinda like the idea now.

Name Forthcoming
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Aura
Enchanted Aura has "Enchanted permanent has ": Draw a card.""
Flavour text to be added presently.
I'd still like to join, if possible.

Sudden Delivery
Sorcery
Shuffle your library, then reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a creature card or you reveal five cards, whichever comes first. If a creature card is revealed this way, put that card onto the battlefield. Put all other cards revealed this way on the bottom of your library in any order.
"I have seen many births in my time, and you can never quite predict what will be born. Or, sadly, if the birth will be successful at all." - Onan Kulset, Penma Elder

Won a TPmanW contest with Demonic Arbitrator. (see below) My username is a simple continued fraction. Look it up. My favorite cards I've made:
Show
Æther Rider Creatuere - Spirit (U) Vanishing 0 (This permanent enters the battlefield with zero time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.) Flying : Put a time counter on ~. Any player may activate this ability. It comes on the wind, from realms unknown. 2/2 Kaldurian Behemoth Creature - Beast (R) Mana produced by lands may not be used to pay ~'s mana cost. Trample On Kalduria, the beasts are too good to eat common grass. 10/10 Demonic Arbitrator Sorcery Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of life. If any player paid life, repeat this process. If a player paid more life in total than any other, that player searches his or her library for a card and puts that card into his or her hand. Then that player shuffles his or her library. "Your sacrifice has been judged worthy. What power do you require?"
someone deleted my post

please check the the ip adresses of the deletion and see if it matches my ip
NO WAR

They've killed Fritz
I've been shadow banned by youtube my comments only show when I'm logged

does any see my comment here ?

Speaking of which, when do we decide to use the cards? I don't know who I want to counter yet, but if I counter a spell after you've graded, that could get confusing...

Use them anytime before I grade. As you may notice, most of the score changing ones change the score of the next card. I have a feeling that everyone is a little timid to use their cards right now. But they don't leave your hand until you use them, or maybe if someone makes you discard one.
I'd still like to join, if possible.

Sudden Delivery
Sorcery
Shuffle your library, then reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a creature card or you reveal five cards, whichever comes first. If a creature card is revealed this way, put that card onto the battlefield. Put all other cards revealed this way on the bottom of your library in any order.
"I have seen many births in my time, and you can never quite predict what will be born. Or, sadly, if the birth will be successful at all." - Onan Kulset, Penma Elder

Sure. Step on board. Hmmm, I have a Mayael EDH deck, so I'm a big fan of the ability. It puts a couple cute little variances on the typical "reveal until creature" spell. For instance, I do like the Shuffle prerequisite. I'm also sensing a sort of Organic feeling. Like you can't choose what you're going to give birth too. At least not yet. Someday we'll all be Gattaca, but for right now. Onan Kulset's quote is gold. It really adds a dimension to the card. The name however: Sudden Delivery? Could probably use a little work. You made all this good stuff to work with and then named it something bland. Anyway, you still score pretty well on the roster.

8/10

You receive
Vision Skeins. Should be self-explanatory.

Closing this in about 24 hours. After that time, no new participants. Once a player has cast a spell, any new participants will not receive their first spell. They will however get any spells after that.

139359831 wrote:
OK, well in that case, I'm hopping aboard.

A card that represents birth?

Miracle of Conception |
Sorcery
Put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of target creature except for its rules text, and has the rules text of another target creature.
Miracle

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Cuckoo's Nest
Creature Egg
sacrifice Cuckoo's Nest: search you library for 2 different flying creatures of mana toll x or less, reveal them then select one by coin flip.
Put the selected creature into play and shuffle the other into your library.
This spell is countered if two different creatures with flying cannot be found.
~"The Common Cuckoo lays its eggs in the nests of other birds."
0/1
NO WAR

They've killed Fritz

Cuckoo's Nest
Creature Egg
sacrifice Cuckoo's Nest: search you library for 2 different flying creatures of mana toll x or less, reveal them then select one by coin flip.
0/1

Your wording is horrible and most of your posts make no sense. But sometimes I love the stuff you make. Like, wow. What. It made me laugh. Maybe I just like birds and anteaters.

my wording is concise

Cuckoo's Nest
Creature Egg
:3: sacrifice Cuckoo's Nest: search you library for 2 different flying creatures of mana toll 4 or less, reveal them then select one by coin flip.
This spell is countered if two different creatures of mana toll 4 or less with flying cannot be found in youtr library.
0/1

NO WAR

They've killed Fritz

my wording is concise

Cuckoo's Nest
Creature Egg
:3: sacrifice Cuckoo's Nest: search you library for 2 different flying creatures of mana toll 4 or less, reveal them then select one by coin flip.
This spell is countered if two different creatures of mana toll 4 or less with flying cannot be found in youtr library.
0/1

This is not concise.

I'm not bagging on you; I just think you missed Steinhauser's point. Your ideas are great, but your templating and wording need work.
how?
NO WAR

They've killed Fritz

how?

You should be using gatherer.wizards.com to help you with wording your cards.  Look up cards that do similar things as what you want to do, so you know how to word them.

For instance, there is no such thing as a "mana toll" -- there is a "converted mana cost."  I don't even know where you saw "mana toll" in the first place.  No one here is using it.

You should also familiarize yourself with game rules that you try to make use of.  Like Cuckoo's Nest's ability is not a "spell," it's an "ability."  So, where you say "This spell is countered [...]" is referring to something that isn't a spell.  Not only that, but you don't even need that last line anyways.

I know you must have played Magic many years ago, due to the way that you reference very old things.  But when was the last time you played Magic recently?  Using today's rules?

Your cards are quaint; and I usually (but not always) understand what you're trying to do.  But it seems like you're spending little effort on trying to improve your wording and function.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
OK, well in that case, I'm hopping aboard.

A card that represents birth?

Miracle of Conception |
Sorcery
Put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of target creature except for its rules text, and has the rules text of another target creature.
Miracle

That's pretty cool. And the Miracle part is adorable. It feels sort of Blue to me, kinda, though. I mean, I can see the argument for mono-green, but I would still probably have made it GU. I think it could benefit from a little flavour text as well, but the card doesn't really need it.

8/10

You recieve
Silence. Use it wisely.
Cuckoo's Nest
Creature Egg
0/1

Okay. Matt, don't make me regret letting you join this. Just, please don't troll it and take it semi-seriously. I mean it is a silly game about making fake cards but it'll be more fun for everyone if the players act with dignity. I'm reserving the right to kick you off the game at any time should I receive any complaints or develop my own concerns. I'm not trying to be mean, but you've developed a reputation in quite a short period of time on here. Anyway, your card. . . That's actually a cool idea. So, I like your concept. Very top-down which is something I'm not too good at - but the problem here is how you make it. A creature named Nest shouldn't be type - Egg. Not only that, but the card is obviously not Red. It is Green or Blue or maybe White, but not Red. I'm thinking that your logic was in the coin flip? And I can see that argument, but I'm going to dismiss it. Tutoring Tribal Birds should not be Red. Maybe Red/OTHER COLOUR, but not mono-red. Flavour text needs attribution.

5/10

You receive
All Suns' Dawn. Not too useful now, but once you've cast some other spells, perhaps you'll find use for it.

139359831 wrote:
Thanks, Pablo -- both of your major pieces of criticism were definitely things I mentally wrangled with.

I'll get up a card for this turn soon (unless that card counts as my card for this turn and I start one turn behind for showing up late, which would also be fair).  Two things:

1) Do we have to use our current card before we get another?
2) Can you use one of your posts at the top of the thread to list what's in everyone's hands?  Since the cards we've been getting have been revealed anyways, it would be nice if that info was compiled for reference up front.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
1) Nope.
2) Good idea.

139359831 wrote:
That card was indeed half serious and half tomfoolery.  Well played sir.  Please consider this entry instead:

Evolutionary Jump
Enchantment
Creatures you play may enter the battlefield attached to another creature you control.
Creatures gets +3/+3 for each creature attached to it.
"Too strange to live, too rare to die." - Hunter S. Thompson

If its too late, then thats Ok too.  The above card might be too wierd as well...for some reason I am insisting on breaking these requirements as well.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/