Torn, the two types of magic....

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Recently I finally decided to try out magic online, and it is quite decent, even if not as good as the duel of the planeswalkers version.
However, since it costs the same as playing magic RL, it has landed me in a slight dilemma: would it be best to focus on mtg or mtgo?

On one hand, you can log in and play pretty much whenever you want, easier to keep track of your collection and punch out decks without having to shift cards between them or go get sleeves each time, and events are also fairly easy to come by.

On the other hand, you don't actually buy anything besides digital items, and interaction between players is at a minimum, and the feeling of sitting with "your own" deck is fairly absent and it seems harder to aquire single cards digitally (i find the endless list of trade spam page to be quite unintuitive, but maybe just need to get used to it.), however unlike RL magic, distance to events is not a problem, although you do not earn points in the same way, so seems a way more "casual" aproach with little room to get into bigger leagues eventually. And I cannot use my exsisting cards, namely my cards from before i took a long break from magic.

So, while I would prefer it if it was somehow possible to redeem RL cards into digital versions, as it is I am torn between which of the two to focus on.

Care to help a fellow player decide?
It boils down to can you deal with alienation? 
I personally prefer online

you only have to ever buy 4 copies of a card and can use them in every deck, the prices for the cards are (generally) cheaper than in paper because there is so much more competition

now, granted, the client is not very user friendly, the trade interface is a hassle, but once you get over those obstacles it's fine

and the freedom to find an opponent or even a tournament at every time within seconds or minutes without having to leave the house is simply awesome

the only thing I really hate on MTGO is that "infinite" combos don't really work, because you have to do every iteration manually and risk running out of time, but I can't think of any way on how to solve this
proud member of the 2011 community team
It's actually easier (MUCH easier) to aquire cards in MTGO. Ignore the trade rooms and endless spam - instead you can bookmark one or more bots that have every card available for trade.

When I build a new deck, I throw the cards together in the deck editor, and then visit a bot to trade for the cards I don't have yet. I can be playing that deck within a minute or two. Compare that with paper - it can take days or weeks to make an online order or bid on ebay, or you might drive down to a store and cross your fingers that they have the needed cards in stock.

Personally, I shudder at the thought of having to organise my collection into boxes/binders/sleeves, and rummage through those to find the cards for a deck. In MTGO, I just drag cards from one window to another to build decks, and have full searching and indexing available instantly.

It's true that MTGO boosters cost the same as paper boosters. But nobody actually buys boosters - certainly not just to open them for cards. Trading for cards is ridiculously cheap, and singles are consistently cheaper than in paper. I look at deck lists on TCG Player, where you can see High, Average and Low price estimates for decks. In MTGO, the singles for a deck can usually be aquired for about half to three-quarters of the "low" price. If you want boosters for drafts, then you can even trade for those too - with the prices often significantly lower than the $3.99 booster cost from the actual store. You can use any boosters that you win from a draft to enter another draft - I've heard that is very rare in the paper world, where store owners insist you buy new boosters from their shop every time you draft.

Also, if you play MTGO for a little while you'll realise that it's much better than DotP (although it does have its faults!). Can you imagine playing a proper game of Magic (not a diluted "video-game" version) where the opponent's cards were all upside-down and about half an inch tall on the screen? Impossible!
Recently I finally decided to try out magic online, and it is quite decent, even if not as good as the duel of the planeswalkers version.

Agreed, it's not nearly as good as the 1997 game.
The new game is a pile of trash.

Seriously, there are ways to play the game online without having to spend money on cards. Use them. 

Sig
Disclaimers
My initial responses to rules questions are usually just answers. If you want an explanation as to why, say so. Just because it says I'm there, I'm not necessarily there. I leave my browser open so I don't have to reload ~30 tabs. Anyone who wants to text duel me through either PM or chat can just PM me with a format (and a time if playing through chat). I don't play standard.
# Card Blind Hall of Fame
3CB
3CB #1 (1/30/11): Won by silasw, with Mishra's Factory, Orzhov Basilica, Vindicate. 3CB #2 (2/13/11): Won by Vektor480, with Mishra's Workshop, Ensnaring Bridge, Scalding Tongs 3CB #3(2/20/11): Joint win between defuse, with Saprazzan Skerry, Scalding Tongs, Energy Field; and Mown, with The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Inkmoth Nexus, Sheltered Valley 3CB #4(3/13/11): Won by Mown, with Keldon Megaliths, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boros Garrison 3CB #5(3/20/11): Won by silasw, with Black Lotus, Channel, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
5CB
5CB 1 (3/6/11): Won by Maraxus-of-Keld, with Tropical Island, Thallid, Nether Spirit, Daze, Foil
quotes
56819178 wrote:
So, how would I use a card that has a large in the top half and "sui?l? -- pu?? ?is?q" across the middle?
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
Winning is not important if: 1. You win by a blowout. 2. You pay billions of dollars in cards to win. If you like wasting money just to win one game, while you could have saved it to lose a few and end up winning more in the future, then it is fine by me.
what? do you ceremonially light your deck on fire after a win?
57169958 wrote:
Or did no one notice Transmogrifying Licid before. (And by not notice, I mean covered their ears and shouted LA LA LA LA )
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
Hmmm... I think the most awkward situation at the moment is simply the Myr Welder / Equipment / Licid / Aura craziness, but I'm pretty sure he's aware of it.
If the most awkward thing going on right now involves Licids, I declare victory.
56287226 wrote:
We regret to inform you of Trevor Kidd's untimely demise in an unfortunate accident involving a mysteriously blown breaker box and a photophobic creature of unknown origin at his home near Renton, Washington. We at the Wizards Community apologize for any inconvenience or delay, and assure you we'll be preparing a replacement to assume his duties as soon as we finish warming up the cloning vats.
[02:47:46] It doesn't merely "come out of suspend" - you take the last time counter off, and then suspend triggers and say "now cast that! CAST IT NOOOOOW!" [02:47:49] Because suspend has no indoors voice
[10:11:33] !opalescence [10:11:33] Opalescence {2WW} |Enchantment| Each other non-Aura enchantment is a creature with power and toughness each equal to its converted mana cost. It's still an enchantment. · Reserved,UD-R,Vin,Leg,Cla,USBC [10:11:51] *sigh* [10:12:10] Otecko: Do you have a question about Opalescence? [10:12:17] sure [10:12:23] $10 on humility interaction [10:12:25] :P [10:12:29] :D [10:12:47] humility + opalescence put into play by replenish
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
Dear Mage24365, You are totally awesome. Thank you so much. I hope you are able to dine in Paradise without kicking the bucket to actually get there, and that every dollar you ever make magically becomes two more.
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
I don't think there are any cards like that. There are things that prevent you from activating activated abilities, things that increase their cost, and things that counter them, but I don't think anything triggers from them specifically. There are things that trigger from targeting, so that might be relevant, but I can't think of anything that triggers from targeting a player. I'm almost positive there's nothing that triggers from damage being prevented.
Rings of Brighthearth; Dormant Gomazoa; Samite Ministration.
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

I personally prefer paper Magic, because human interaction and all that. Also hunting down specific cards is part of the fun for me.

L1 Judge

It's actually easier (MUCH easier) to aquire cards in MTGO. Ignore the trade rooms and endless spam - instead you can bookmark one or more bots that have every card available for trade.

When I build a new deck, I throw the cards together in the deck editor, and then visit a bot to trade for the cards I don't have yet. I can be playing that deck within a minute or two. Compare that with paper - it can take days or weeks to make an online order or bid on ebay, or you might drive down to a store and cross your fingers that they have the needed cards in stock.

Personally, I shudder at the thought of having to organise my collection into boxes/binders/sleeves, and rummage through those to find the cards for a deck. In MTGO, I just drag cards from one window to another to build decks, and have full searching and indexing available instantly.

It's true that MTGO boosters cost the same as paper boosters. But nobody actually buys boosters - certainly not just to open them for cards. Trading for cards is ridiculously cheap, and singles are consistently cheaper than in paper. I look at deck lists on TCG Player, where you can see High, Average and Low price estimates for decks. In MTGO, the singles for a deck can usually be aquired for about half to three-quarters of the "low" price. If you want boosters for drafts, then you can even trade for those too - with the prices often significantly lower than the $3.99 booster cost from the actual store. You can use any boosters that you win from a draft to enter another draft - I've heard that is very rare in the paper world, where store owners insist you buy new boosters from their shop every time you draft.

Also, if you play MTGO for a little while you'll realise that it's much better than DotP (although it does have its faults!). Can you imagine playing a proper game of Magic (not a diluted "video-game" version) where the opponent's cards were all upside-down and about half an inch tall on the screen? Impossible!

@Andoru Hmm, you make a good case. But can you add cards to your decklist without actually owning them? That would certainly go a long way in terms of deckbuilding!

And yes, dotp has it's flaws, but in terms of the aestetics and managing the stack i find it more intuitive, although that can be due to my lack of experience with  the game so far.

Also, is there some way to test decks before actually playing them? When making a normal deck, i usually end up goldfishing potentially houndred of times to make sure the mana is right, tweak the tempo of the deck, and so on, and while a proper game shows that a lot more, for a first run it is a bit, uhm, unwieldy to have to "real-game" your way through the preliminary testing of the decks.

btw, never tried the 1997, so no comment there :P

Thanks for the replies btw, still trying to decide ^^
you can build a deck out of cards you don't own (just uncheck "my cards" in the deckbuilder)
you can't play with the deck unless you own all cards, however
proud member of the 2011 community team
My favorite card is cockatrice.

@Andoru Hmm, you make a good case. But can you add cards to your decklist without actually owning them? That would certainly go a long way in terms of deckbuilding!

And yes, dotp has it's flaws, but in terms of the aestetics and managing the stack i find it more intuitive, although that can be due to my lack of experience with  the game so far.

Also, is there some way to test decks before actually playing them? When making a normal deck, i usually end up goldfishing potentially houndred of times to make sure the mana is right, tweak the tempo of the deck, and so on, and while a proper game shows that a lot more, for a first run it is a bit, uhm, unwieldy to have to "real-game" your way through the preliminary testing of the decks.

btw, never tried the 1997, so no comment there :P

Thanks for the replies btw, still trying to decide ^^

As for goldfishing decks, just choose solitare as the game mode.  That'll do what you want.  However, you still have to own all the cards in your deck.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
I've Goldfished online using cards with the same mana cost and type. So Thundermaw Hellkite is "proxied" with fire elemental. It confusing, but possible.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]

Negative synergy with Lure. Isn't it funny that because of that card, we now have to deal with negative synergy in green all the time?
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

Negative synergy with Lure. Isn't it funny that because of that card, we now have to deal with negative synergy in green all the time?

Maybe before they released cockatrice as it were it should have spent more time in the magic workstation.
57170298 wrote:
Borrowing the East Wind (P3) - Haha, it's like Hurricane but for horsemanship? That makes hilariously little sense. "Oh man, the wind is so much worse up on this horse."
57044478 wrote:
Jon Finkel can win a Magic tournament with a ham sandwich. That doesn't mean ham sandwiches are now the metagame breaker.
97820278 wrote:
Koth: I'm the first viable red planeswalker. Who are you? Tibalt: I'm a two-mana red planeswalker. Koth: I'm the last viable red planeswalker.

Maybe before they released cockatrice as it were it should have spent more time in the magic workstation.

It's funny, because it's only negative synergy with Lure.

Of course, most of the time today, that flavor is just templated as deathtouch, and Vampire Nighthawk was a limited superstar in both Zendikar and M13. And Lure is usually templated as "target creature blocks this turn if able", which (outside of Bant Exalted) has the same problem as all punisher cards. (Hint: He won't be blocking that deathtouch guy equipped with Infiltration Lens and enchanted with Rancor.)
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt