CKY: The Thread That Leapt Through Time

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Inspired by Steins;Gate, some mind-bending time travel cards:

Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Instant

Skip your next X turns. You and each permanent you control phase out. (You phase back in when your next turn begins. Those permanents phase back in on your untap step.)

"Let the world pass me by."
–Namior Stillsight

Time Leap
Time Leap

Instant

Exile Time Leap. Rewind the game state to the beginning of the current step or phase, except Time Leap remains in exile. (It becomes the beginning of the current step or phase. Restore all other cards and permanents to the way they were then.) Then each player shuffles his or her library.

Hindsight makes the best foresight.

Chronoclone
Chronoclone

Instant

Choose target creature you control and put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of that creature. At the beginning of the next end step, exile the chosen creature. If the chosen creature would leave the battlefield, exile it instead.

"In my darkest hour, the last person I expected to save me was... myself."
–Teferi

Causality Break
Causality Break

Instant

Target creature that was cast this turn never resolved. (It was put into its owner's graveyard instead. Undo all effects which that creature directly caused, such as the destruction of creatures, damage it dealt to players, or effects that triggered off it. Otherwise, the game state remains the same.) Each player shuffles his or her library.

Fate is cruelest to those that defy it.

Comments and criticism appreciated.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

I like the first card, although it's just used as combo piece together with cards that punish the players on every turn.. How do you revert shuffling when playing the second card? Your third card is probably not different enough from Heat Shimmer, and your fourth card has the same problems as your second card.. Don't forget that other players would have to know that you'll play the card later on, because otherwise they can't prevent you from cheating when reverting complex actions..
I don't think Flash Forward works in that sort of a combo deck, because your combo pieces will phase out as well. Also, the reminder text is wrong. Permanents phase in on Untap, not Upkeep. I con't see it being good outside of multiplayer. Time Leap and Causility Break don't work, and as cats said, Chronoclone ain't new. Some boundaries have nowhere to be pushed to. Also, wouldn't Teferi legend-rule himself to death?
Won a TPmanW contest with Demonic Arbitrator. (see below) My username is a simple continued fraction. Look it up. My favorite cards I've made:
Show
Æther Rider Creatuere - Spirit (U) Vanishing 0 (This permanent enters the battlefield with zero time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.) Flying : Put a time counter on ~. Any player may activate this ability. It comes on the wind, from realms unknown. 2/2 Kaldurian Behemoth Creature - Beast (R) Mana produced by lands may not be used to pay ~'s mana cost. Trample On Kalduria, the beasts are too good to eat common grass. 10/10 Demonic Arbitrator Sorcery Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of life. If any player paid life, repeat this process. If a player paid more life in total than any other, that player searches his or her library for a card and puts that card into his or her hand. Then that player shuffles his or her library. "Your sacrifice has been judged worthy. What power do you require?"
How do you revert shuffling when playing the second card?

It's impossible. That's why you have to shuffle after time leaping.
Your third card is probably not different enough from Heat Shimmer

It's an instant and doesn't grant haste, so it's more of a surprise blocker or combat trick than a Ball Lightning.
Your fourth card has the same problems as your second card.. Don't forget that other players would have to know that you'll play the card later on, because otherwise they can't prevent you from cheating when reverting complex actions..

I limited it to a creature cast this turn so that its effects would still be fresh in the players' memories. I can't imagine having to revert actions much more complex than destroying a bunch of creatures.
Permanents phase in on Untap, not Upkeep.

I'll fix it in a bit.
Time Leap and Causility Break don't work

Why not?
Also, wouldn't Teferi legend-rule himself to death?

Same reason Kamahl, Pit Fighter and Kamahl, Fist of Krosa don't legend-rule each other.

Embrace imagination.

I limited it to a creature cast this turn so that its effects would still be fresh in the players' memories. I can't imagine having to revert actions much more complex than destroying a bunch of creatures.

What if my creature was Ingenious Thief? There's no way to make me forget my opponent's hand. What if the creature was Chittering Rats, and I made you shuffle your deck after playing it? How will I ensure that you get the right card back into your hand? Face it, the "rewind" mechanic doesn't work.
Won a TPmanW contest with Demonic Arbitrator. (see below) My username is a simple continued fraction. Look it up. My favorite cards I've made:
Show
Æther Rider Creatuere - Spirit (U) Vanishing 0 (This permanent enters the battlefield with zero time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.) Flying : Put a time counter on ~. Any player may activate this ability. It comes on the wind, from realms unknown. 2/2 Kaldurian Behemoth Creature - Beast (R) Mana produced by lands may not be used to pay ~'s mana cost. Trample On Kalduria, the beasts are too good to eat common grass. 10/10 Demonic Arbitrator Sorcery Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of life. If any player paid life, repeat this process. If a player paid more life in total than any other, that player searches his or her library for a card and puts that card into his or her hand. Then that player shuffles his or her library. "Your sacrifice has been judged worthy. What power do you require?"
I thought the Kamahl-s don't legend rule each other because they have a different name?
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Also, wouldn't Teferi legend-rule himself to death?

Same reason Kamahl, Pit Fighter and Kamahl, Fist of Krosa don't legend-rule each other.

How is that the same scenario? The clone will have the same name, unlike Kamahl.
Which is what I find the most amusing about the flavor text. How Teferi would actually die.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

What if my creature was Ingenious Thief? There's no way to make me forget my opponent's hand.

That's part of the point of the card. Get information about your opponent's hand and deck, then react accordingly.
What if the creature was Chittering Rats, and I made you shuffle your deck after playing it? How will I ensure that you get the right card back into your hand? Face it, the "rewind" mechanic doesn't work.

This, however, is a problem. I guess I could amend the card so it doesn't affect libraries after they've been shuffled or something.
How is that the same scenario? The clone will have the same name, unlike Kamahl.
Which is what I find the most amusing about the flavor text. How Teferi would actually die.
I thought he was talking about the flavor. I could put down a clause like "the legend rule doesn't apply to those creatures for as long as both of them are on the battlefield" but I don't think it's necessary to go that far.

Embrace imagination.

I think that rewinding the game state isn't something supported by the rules. I'm prettys sure only a sanctioned judge has the authority to rewind a game state and only if rules haven't been followed correctly, and even then only if it's caught early enough. (EDIT: and only during MTG Events, of course.)

That and I just don't like anything that attempts to bring back phasing. I wasn't playing MTG when it was around, but it just seems like such an inelegant mechanic.

I do enjoy the flavor of manipulating time and reality for your own benefit though, mind if I contribute my own idea?

IMAGE(http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n484/JoshuaHefflinger/MTG%20Cards/QuantumLeap.jpg)

Quantum Leap
instant
Exile target creature you own and place a time counter on it. If it doesn’t have suspend, it gains suspend.

A blue, flavor-shifted version of Cloudshift. Due to how suspend works though, I wasn't sure whether to make it free to target any creature or  only creatures you control, so I compromised with myself and just made it creatures you own instead.
I think that rewinding the game state isn't something supported by the rules. I'm prettys sure only a sanctioned judge has the authority to rewind a game state and only if rules haven't been followed correctly, and even then only if it's caught early enough. (EDIT: and only during MTG Events, of course.)

No one is disputing that. I'm just playing with what would be possible if the rules were changed to allow it.
That and I just don't like anything that attempts to bring back phasing. I wasn't playing MTG when it was around, but it just seems like such an inelegant mechanic.

The alternative is writing something like "Until your next turn, treat you and each permanent you control as though you didn't exist."

Another time travel-related idea:

Death Delayed

Enchantment

If damage would be dealt to you, put that many wound counters on Death Delayed instead.
At the beginning of your end step, remove two wound counters from Death Delayed. Death Delayed deals 2 damage to you.

Embrace imagination.

These are very interesting, but as has been mentioned, Time Leap and Causality break are a judge's worst nightmare. Having had multiple games rewound in tournaments, it isn't pretty for anybody. Cards that weren't supposed to be seen/drawn have to be randomized and shuffled in, information cannot be un-learned, and some gamestates are inherently broken and cannot be rewound.

Also, why would Causality Break not just be Essence Scatter? What does it do differently? 

Chronoclone is cool, but do you intend it to exile the original creature, or the token? Because as is, I believe it puts the token into play under your control no matter who controls it, then acts as a blue Unmake for 2 mana. That seems pretty ridiculous.
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
Also, why would Causality Break not just be Essence Scatter? What does it do differently?

Suppose you play a Nekrataal and destroy my Hill Giant, then attack with a Runeclaw Bear. I Causality Break the Nekrataal, returning the giant to the battlefield so that it can block the bear. Or maybe you play a Goblin Warchief and attack with a bunch of Raging Goblins into my Bears. I Causality Break the Warchief, turning your attack from a favorable one into an unfavorable one. There are a few possibilities.
Chronoclone is cool, but do you intend it to exile the original creature, or the token? Because as is, I believe it puts the token into play under your control no matter who controls it, then acts as a blue Unmake for 2 mana. That seems pretty ridiculous.

It was intended to target only creatures you control. Edited.

I think I've figured out the fix for Time Leap:

Time Leap

Instant

Exile Time Leap. Rewind the game state to the beginning of the current step or phase, if possible, except Time Leap remains in exile. (Rewinding isn't possible if information hidden from at least one, but not all players, has changed between that time and now.) Then each player shuffles his or her library.

Hindsight makes the best foresight.

Embrace imagination.

"You phase out" could be interpreted to mean you don't come back, since things that don't exist can't have turns, and remember, you don't exist.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
The last card would almost certainly be a hideous headache but I'm kind of in love with it purely for the elegant weirdness of the wording. "Never resolved." Beautiful.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.