First time playing 4e and I may be starting at level 15.

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Long story short, I've got some friends that will be missing a player soon and they want me to play and they are at level 15.  What kind of character is not overwhelmingly complicated at level 15 that I may be able to quickly and easily grasp how they work and what they should do? Thanks for any help.
My Commander decks! http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942477/Endrek_Sahr,_Master_of_Disaster http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942329/*Rumbling_Stomach_Noises*_Guildpact_Borborygmos_Deck
The simplest class is the Slayer, followed closely by the Knight. I would likely put the Hunter, Scout, Cavalier, and a bunch of others tied at third.
What Frothsof said, plus if you need a leader warpriest is pretty simple.
Archer Ranger and Dual Wielding Ranger is probably another near brain dead class...and at the same time, the one that have the highest damage dealing capability
I would second Twin-strike Ranger or Slayer as two very good options.  It would help if we knew what your party was so we could give more specific advice.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Everything is simple in 4e.

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

Everything is simple in 4e.

Its all relative.  4e doesn't have wizards with spellbooks that are literally 100 pages long at higher levels.  But a Level 15 Rebreather is a whole different level of complexity from a level 15 Slayer.
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
imo, a scout is simpler than a twin-strike ranger. all you do is basically twin-strike every round, but you arent forced to make as many other choices. the scout is actually pretty fun for a one shot imo.
imo, a scout is simpler than a twin-strike ranger. all you do is basically twin-strike every round, but you arent forced to make as many other choices. the scout is actually pretty fun for a one shot imo.

You changed your avatar.

I don't like it.

I no longer like you.

(Also the scout is a good starting character, but I don't recommend most essentials classes unless it is a one shot as I find them boring). 
Show

You changed your avatar.

I don't like it.

I no longer like you.

(Also the scout is a good starting character, but I don't recommend most essentials classes unless it is a one shot as I find them boring). 

you dont like the 1e mm succubus? i try to switch avs every now and again, maybe you will like the next one

You changed your avatar.

I don't like it.

I no longer like you.

you dont like the 1e mm succubus? i try to switch avs every now and again, maybe you will like the next one

Mostly I was just joshing.  It had been very easy to identify your posts at a glance until now.
Show

The request is for a "boring" class.  So the essentials classes rank high.

The request is for a "boring" class.  So the essentials classes rank high.

I read it as something that isn't "overwhelmingly complicated" not "something that is boring".

The criteria, as I see it, is to give him something that he can pick up and do well with right out of the box (Twinstrike Ranger or anything at-will optimized),something that will stay relevant and fun for a longer campaign (non essentials, with exceptions) and something that feels strong enough to not appear as a hinderance to his more established 4e friends (So some solid optimization).
Show

You changed your avatar.

I don't like it.

I no longer like you.

Mostly I was just joshing.  It had been very easy to identify your posts at a glance until now.

Thanks for all the help! My main goal is to get a class that is not requiring perfect exececution with minor actions and at-willtoto be able to properly function. It looks like Ranger will good. What races are good with Ranger dual or bow
My Commander decks! http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942477/Endrek_Sahr,_Master_of_Disaster http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942329/*Rumbling_Stomach_Noises*_Guildpact_Borborygmos_Deck
For dual wielding ranger anything that lets you go str/dex or str/wis is good.  So half orc and longtooth shifter are 2 of the top choices.  For bow you want dex/wis so elf is a top choice, but really anything with a dex bonus is fine and anything with a strength bonus is fine for melee builds.  You probably want to go str/dex for melee with a little in wisdom for a melee build and dex/wis for a ranged build.  If you want to do both melee and ranged you want half orc or thrikreen, or bugbear if your DM allows it.

Avoid small races like halflings unless you don't mind taking a small hit on damage for ranged weapons.  At 15 its not a big hit since most of your damage will come from stacking bonuses instead of weapon dice anyways.  For melee you can use a small race and go with rapiers, though the snerfneblin is the only small race with a strength bonus.
I'd say make your character a Greatbow Elf Ranger and pick up Battlefield archer as your PP.  When you pick powers focus on ones that attack more than once, and ones that allow a lot of movement.  Then you should be pretty much g2g.  Post on the Charop if you want any additional help with it.
Show

You changed your avatar.

I don't like it.

I no longer like you.

I like your avatar. That's one of the things I miss about 1st edition. Line art breasts.  Bring them back for next WotC and you might get a few more sales.
/facepalm

lol
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)