UR Guttersnipe

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
This deck is a gift intended for games of 3-8 people with a slower meta that is sweeper lite.

Lands 24
10x Mountains
10x Islands
2x Izzet Boilerworks
2x Izzet Guildgate

Creatures 13
4x Guttersnipe
4x Goblin Electromancer
3x Chandra's Spitfire
2x Talrand, Sky Summoner

Noncreatures 23
4x Talrand's Invocation
3x Think Twice
2x Izzet Signet
2x Izzet Keyrune
2x Mystic Retrieval
2x Teleportal
2x Prophetic Bolt
2x Essence Backlash
1x Cyclonic Rift
1x Reiterate
1x Rite of Replication
1x Telemin Performance

Card quantities are based on cards on hand - and the knowledge that the intended recipient of this deck enjoys variety.

The strategy is to capitalize on Guttersnipe and Talrand's love of instants and sorceries.  Using Teleportal to ensure that Spitfires and a swarm of drakes/Rite tokens are unblockable looks great on paper.  Telemin Performance may become a fourth Spitfire or a Reforge the Soul.  Essence Backlash is there to mess with the big creature makers; it would likely be better as Condescend; this deck is light on countermagic due to a desire to keep the Spitfires big when it is time to attack.  I've a pair of Etherium-Horn Sorcerers that part of me wants to add, but am unsure if the cascade is worth it - especially if I cascade into one of the rare pieces of countermagic.

Comments are always welcome.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
I'm not really a fan of Etherium-horn Sorceror in this deck, because I don't think it works with Overload (and you probably won't be able to afford Kicker or Buyback costs in case you run into one of those cards). I might consider Mirrorweave though, because turning a swarm of Drake tokens into Guttersnipes seems like a potential win right there (as long as your opponents can't take advantage with their own token swarms, of course).
What about Hammer of Bogardan or Punishing Fire (Grove of the Burnwillows if you have them) for more drakes?
Mirari?     Isochron Scepter doesn't seem useful given your card choices?

Maybe buyback cards to make use of the slow deck idea and pump out more drakes?
Capsize to get rid of enchantments maybe?
Shattering Pulse?
Shame most of the buyback cards are sooooo bad. 

Cycling lands like Forgotten Cave and Lonely Sandbar to improve your hand lategame?
Could make threshold playable.
Demoralize could be fun.
Epicenter is a stupid card - but in a perfect situation you could wipe anyones' ability to play a sweeper for a few turns once you have a good board position. Still, probably not playable.
Lots of great choices from both of you, so thanks.

Isochron Scepter looks very tempting.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
Retrace cards like flame jab, call the skybreaker and oona's grace are options I'm considering in my guttersnipe deck. I'm also thinking of using pyromancer ascension to just get extra effects. I'm hindering myself a little bit by using cards like kindle and aether burst to make use of locket of yesterdays, but the deck is more fun when it has hinderances. I think capsize and mystic speculation would be more than perfect. Spell burst could be all of the countermagic you'll need. Repeatable effects and cost reduction (maybe arcane melee) are the key.

You can take great advantage of volcanic spray with chandra's spitfire, but I find that to be really mean, so I leave that to my burn deck. ;)
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
I do have a partial buyback deck, complete with a playset of Memory Crystals, set aside to "finish" one day.  This could be that day.

Hmmm...

Cheers!
If you have Memory Crystal, Clockspinning and Calciform Pools (or whatever) should work pretty well. I use it with Forgotten Ancient, but Guttersnipe could finish a game right there.
If you have Memory Crystal, Clockspinning and Calciform Pools (or whatever) should work pretty well. I use it with Forgotten Ancient, but Guttersnipe could finish a game right there.

Mystic Speculation might be really good if you're using memory crystal as well.
Sign In to post comments