Why I haven't been posting recently...

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I know this is a little self indulgent but its not a rage quit post (I hope).

I haven't had a lot to say as my online group basically imploded over scheduling and I got so depressed I haven't been able to bring myself to open the latest packet. I'm hoping some announcement will peek my interest enough to get me to come back reexamine the playtest as something happened on Friday that helped me realize what my issues may be:

We were doing the 4th Ed. Halls of Undermountain and our very first encounter was a magical trap room where you had magical crossbow shooting statues ontop of blade traps. The solution seemed obvious, range down the statues, feed one of the immediate action blade traps a high reflex high HP character (as you took half damage on a miss) and barrel on through. Then I found out that the guy who built the new people's characters hit equip for me in the CB so people with no dex and high strength bonuses where shooting crossbows instead of using thrown axes, javelins or hammers. We ended up losing a character (my wife's Warlord) and ended the evening (my wife forgot she was injured and charged a pedestal with her 10 reflex and got instagibbed, knocked down to negative bloodied in that second hit).

Now, the thing I learned from this is that I was reminded that I find this style of encounter B O R I N G.

What I want from Next that I don't feel I'm getting are:

1) Ease of encounter building that is both challenging and fun for the players and the DM

2) Parity of character effectiveness and choices (without godawful trap options). 
Sorry about the group implosion.

Danny

+1 for easy encounter building and class parity

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Sounds frustrating. Sorry to hear.

On a positive note, hear hear for the first edition in a long time where a Strength-based fighter can choose to use a crossbow and not feel like he belongs on the short bus.

Laughing
So... you are not participating the the 5E playtest... because you didn't make your own characters for a 4E game in the killer mega dungeon, and the players are upset they got chewed up by it.

... No offense, mind you, but that just seems really poor reasoning.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
I think it's worth saying that your complaints are entirely valid, and yet also unreasonable.

When they're working on things like how basic class features work, and experimenting with new concepts and structures and mechanics, then yes there will be "godawful trap options."  Every time.  No, there won't be parity of options and choices, because they have to work on and release things sequentially.  If you wanted to wait until the sorts of things you're wanting exist, the playtest would by definition be finished.

I believe yours is an issue of wanting the final product, and being disappointed that they haven't finished making it yet.

p.s.  "pique"
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
So... you are not participating the the 5E playtest... because you didn't make your own characters for a 4E game in the killer mega dungeon, and the players are upset they got chewed up by it.

What he was saying is this:

1) I haven't done stuff with Next because I'm in a bad mood and don't have the drive to play new things.
2) The reason I am in a bad mood is because of this thing that happened in 4e.
3) When I do come around to Next I am hoping that some of the issues that made me depressed from 4e are not in 5e. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Sounds frustrating. Sorry to hear.

On a positive note, hear hear for the first edition in a long time where a Strength-based fighter can choose to use a crossbow and not feel like he belongs on the short bus.

Crossbows still use DEX in the playtest, don't they?

Want to see the best of 4e included in 5e?  Join the Old Guard of 4e.

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"You want The Tooth?  You can't handle The Tooth!"  - Dahlver-Nar.

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Then I found out that the guy who built the new people's characters hit equip for me in the CB so people with no dex and high strength bonuses where shooting crossbows instead of using thrown axes, javelins or hammers.

Yeah, those buttons are notoriously bad news.  They'll equip you with things you have no use for whatsoever, you're lucky you had crossbows, and not instruments.  

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Then I found out that the guy who built the new people's characters hit equip for me in the CB so people with no dex and high strength bonuses where shooting crossbows instead of using thrown axes, javelins or hammers.

Yeah, those buttons are notoriously bad news.  They'll equip you with things you have no use for whatsoever, you're lucky you had crossbows, and not instruments.

Yes. Crazy outcomes in the auto-select. -- Sometimes funny, sometimes deadly.

Danny

Yes. But attack bonus to monster AC is such that the fighter's class bonus alone brings the use of them above "a waste of time". Especially compared to previous editions. With a measly +1 for, say, a 12 Dex and you're shooting with a +4 to hit at 1st level. Against most monsters that's not terrible at all.

You'd need a 10+ to hit a bugbear. An 8+ hits a ghoul. Only a 7+ to pin a kobald to a wall.

And when you do hit, Deadly Strike is a pretty sweet bonus gift.

Thank you BA.

OK, may be some miscommunication in my first post. I stopped playing the Playnext playtest when I got so depressed that I couldn't bring my self to open the latest packet (ergo couldn't keep running my new next campaign). The session we played on Friday was a new 4th ED campaign.

Actually Mand, I think the proper version is peaked. Eh. 
nope, pique
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I thought that spelling implied anger as in "... a fit of pique".

Yes. But attack bonus to monster AC is such that the fighter's class bonus alone brings the use of them above "a waste of time". Especially compared to previous editions. With a measly +1 for, say, a 12 Dex and you're shooting with a +4 to hit at 1st level. Against most monsters that's not terrible at all.

As oppossed to a +8 for swinging with a sword?  A -4 is about as bad Disadvantage.  And, you can still get Disadvantage.  If there's any STR-based ranged attack available, they're a lot better off using it.

As far as previous editions go:

A 2e or earlier fighter still gets his superior THAC0, even if he doesn't get a DEX bonus to hit.
A 3.x fighter with the same DEX 12 is +2 to hit thanks to 1st level BAB.
A similar 4e fighter is +3 thanks to proficiency.  

Not seeing a vast difference.  I mean, the high-STR fighter was never /good/ at ranged combat, but it doesn't sound like he's a lot better.  

Damage is a different story, of course, as early as 1e, a fighter could get a STR bonus to damage if he got a 'heavy' enough bow, javelin or other ranged weapon, same in 3e, and in 4e the 'heavy thrown' weapon attribute covered it.  And, in 1e, 2e & 3.x, rate of fire /did/ make the crossbow a "waste of time" compared to a long or composite bow.  :shrug:

What he was saying is this:

1) I haven't done stuff with Next because I'm in a bad mood and don't have the drive to play new things.
2) The reason I am in a bad mood is because of this thing that happened in 4e.
3) When I do come around to Next I am hoping that some of the issues that made me depressed from 4e are not in 5e. 

Uh, not quite more:

1) I quit doing stuff in Next because I've become depressed about it and what happened with my online group

2) started a new game with my favorite edition that caused me to have a revelation...

3) I'm hoping something will shock me out of my depression and get me back into next.

As oppossed to a +8 for swinging with a sword?

Yes, as opposed to not attacking at all with your sword because the monster is too far away...

A -4 is about as bad Disadvantage.

Which fighters still hit with regularly. So still yes.

As far as previous editions go:

A 2e or earlier fighter still gets his superior THAC0, even if he doesn't get a DEX bonus to hit.
A 3.x fighter with the same DEX 12 is +2 to hit thanks to 1st level BAB.
A similar 4e fighter is +3 thanks to proficiency.

No. Because, in previous editions, monster AC quickly outpaced fighter advancement. Thus, you just kept getting worse as you leveled.

Praise be bounded accuracy.