Anything that lets a druid in wildshape speak? My player can't shut the hell up.

14 posts / 0 new
Last post

I'm looking for a magical item that he can purchase that allows him to speak in wildshape.

Even if its a custom item. He remains in lion form constantly, but can't remember to shut the hell up and speaks. I don't want to penalize him or keep telling him to be quiet.

We're laid back. But I told him he's going to have to buy an item or have it made because he keeps yapping.

Any help is appreciated.

My Homebrew Website: www.freewebs.com/thyatia/

"It was a great tactic, and our GM applauded us. Sadly the Werewolf burst free in only two rounds, and killed everyone but the Sorceress who teleported away with only one arm." - Tetsuoh

"Having absolutely no ranks in any knowledges, my beloved Ric Flair based monk/rogue took off running immediately and attempted suicide by jumping off the bridge we were fighting on." - spitewrathhatred

"He asked me how old my character was (I said 82), and then rolled what his maximum age was. Because the number he rolled was less than what I had said, he informed me that my Bard was dead, and that I needed to make a new character." - King_of_the_Pudding

Why not just let him talk?  Hardly seems a rule worth using anyway.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Give him/make him wear/stipulate that this is why he can't shut the frack up:  (but also DM the consequences too, that the druid nor his party ever surprise/sneak up on ANYTHING. Penalty for lack of role-playing):

Medallion of Thought Projection

This device seems like a medallion of thoughts, even down to the range at which it functions, except that the thoughts overheard are muffled and distorted, requiring a DC 15 Will save to sort out. However, while the user thinks she is picking up the thoughts of others, all she is really hearing are figments created by the medallion itself. These illusory thoughts always seem plausible and thus can seriously mislead any who rely upon them. What’s worse, unknown to her, the cursed medallion actually broadcasts her thoughts to creatures in the path of the beam, thus alerting them to her presence.

Faint divination; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Itemdetect thoughtsghost sound; Price 1,800 gp.

Does he have the natural spell feat (or whatever it's called) that allows him to cast spell while wildshaped?  If he can speak clearly enough to cast spells he can probably speak clearly enough to be understood.

Naw Steve, without even looking it up, wherever it's at, that wording goes something like, "the spell's verbal components are replaced with animal snarls or growls, the druid still cannot speak".  I'm sure somebody will be more ambitious and look it up.

I'm surprised you didn't, Neue; it's in the PHB.
Why not just give him a customized amulet of Speak With Animals or Tongues that would let an animal speak humanoid languages? Just make it limited to languages the "animal" knows, or at least understands. That last limitation would, iirc, allow a cooshie (Races of the Wild) speak Elven, for example.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
Technically, a pearl of speech (Magic Item Compendium, page 118) grants you the ability to speak and understand a specific language, while a crystal mask of languages provides the same effect for five specific languages (it's more costly overall, but slightly cheaper per language).

I'm not sure that granting speech to unusual physical forms is what they had in mind when the item was designed, but there are far weirder creatures than regular animals that seem to speak without difficulty, and the druid's normal speech limitation in wild shape is stated as being because "she is limited to the sounds that a normal, untrained animal can make", so it's not a purely physical limitation in the first place.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome Lurker, Fulminating Crab, Ironglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
the master of many form PC or the items in the MIC that Slagger_the_Chuul mentioned
Pepe pecas pica papas con un pico con un pico pepe pecas pica papas si pepe pecas pica papas con un pico donde esta el pico con que pepe pecas pica papas.
There is the Speak With Animals spell, and while that spell is Self only, there is no reason that you can't use it several ways:

-Give a Speak With Animals item to each of the players in the group, as a level 1 spell it would be relatively cheap to make a Ring of Animal Speach like this. This is the simplist and is already able within the rules to make, so I would suggest this route before any of my other sugestions below.

- Research a new spell, using the DMG rules for reasearchign new spells, that does the opposite, Give Speach, cast on any creature that can't otherwise speak allows them to speak in a language they know. The Druid could then cast it on himself, or else have an item with it on. Make the spell whatever spell level you feel appropriate, but I would probably make it Level 2 at the most.

-Have a Polymorph item made up that Polymorphs any creature's mouth enough to be capable of speach. Humans can speach for the same reason that we can choke to death while eating, so this spell would simply polymorph the interior of the mouth to allow speach. He could wear it as a Ring of Speach Capability. While not directly in the rules, it is a reasonable usage of the spell.
I second just letting him talk. Maybe if you really want, ask him to restrict it to just narrations of what he is doing. "I motion like I want you to go over there and flank" in combat for example. 

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"

If as a druid he is going to specialize in shapeshifting, the PrC Master of Many Forms in the Complete Adventurer gains the ability to speak while in wild shape, and no magic item is required. 
Tell him to learn how to roleplay first. Advice him some sources where he can get the idea "You must act as if you're your character."

Because it is the fact and why should you waste your time for him if he can't use some brains for you?
If as a druid he is going to specialize in shapeshifting, the PrC Master of Many Forms in the Complete Adventurer gains the ability to speak while in wild shape, and no magic item is required. 

Yes the master of many form gain the ability of speak in any of her forms and each level you gain an extra wild shape per day.

the bad point of this class is that you don't gain the spells and you don't improved your animal companion then try to use some variant that change your animal companion for other thing and try to serch some monster to let you use the alterform ability in a type of creature that your PC dont contemplates and use the spellEnhance wild Shape from the Spell Compendium.

Pepe pecas pica papas con un pico con un pico pepe pecas pica papas si pepe pecas pica papas con un pico donde esta el pico con que pepe pecas pica papas.
Why not just let him talk?  Hardly seems a rule worth using anyway.

Unless you want to penalize hime (make hime get and item or a spell) just do like salla says.  You say you are laid back just let it slide.

Play whatever the **** you want. Never Point a loaded party at a plot you are not willing to shoot. Arcane Rhetoric. My Blog.