Magic Missile

Do darts do 2d4+5 damage or do you shoot 2 darts at first level?

It doesn't matter much at first level, but it scales quite a bit differently from 3.5 if one dart is 2d4+5. 
From the packet:
|You produce a number of darts equal to the level at which you cast it.

So at level 2 it is safe to assume it is 4d4+10?

From the packet:
|You produce a number of darts equal to the level at which you cast it.

So at level 2 it is safe to assume it is 4d4+10?

Yes. Or 2d4+5 to two different targets.

But note that that means you prepared it in a 2nd level spell slot, not cast as a level 2 wizard.
Okay, I'm gonna say it. We've had spell levels and character levels since the 1970s. At some point D&D designers are going to need to pick up a thesaurus. Call them 1st Circle and 2nd Circle a la alistair crowley, or 1st Degree and 2nd Degree; anything that isn't "Level."

The time has come. As in, the time came 40 years ago but better late than never. 
Okay, I'm gonna say it. We've had spell levels and character levels since the 1970s. At some point D&D designers are going to need to pick up a thesaurus. Call them 1st Circle and 2nd Circle a la alistair crowley, or 1st Degree and 2nd Degree; anything that isn't "Level."

The time has come. As in, the time came 40 years ago but better late than never. 

I'm one of those despised ones who likes to hold onto D&Ds sacred cows...but I can get behind this idea. It's nothing but a simple change in terminology. In-character, I always use something of that sort anyway. It's worth suggesting it to the designers in surveys and such. It's the kind of thing they only need to see come up once or twice before considering, since it's reasonable and has low impact. Might be worth a new forum topic to get it visible.

I actually like that idea too... 
I may be totally off in my interpretation of this: "You produce a number of darts equal to the level at which you cast
it.".  I believe that this means the Spell Level it is cast at as opposed to the level of the Caster.

Therefor I am interpreting it as follows: You may memorize it each day using any available spell slot from 1st level on up. It cannot be memorized as a 0 level spell. When it is memorized as a higher level spell the number of darts doing 2d4+5 damage increases. As a 2nd level spell you get 2 darts, 3rd level 3 darts and so on on.

Here is a possile House Rule I am considering: It may be memorized as a 0 level spell which does 1d4+2 damage.
From what I understand it does mean what level the spell was prepared at is the number of darts cast.

as far what to call spells, i agree the term 'level' should be reserved to class. I am amused at how changing the name of something can completely alter how it is percieved. In an article by MM recently the discussion of changing the name of expertise dice was all that was required by many commenting, not how the mechainc worked, just the name. I like expertise mainly because the term XD can be used to shorten it. I have commented before that changing the term alignment to ethos may quell many that are opposed. But at what point are we altering the game not feel like D&D anymore? those words hold much meaning when discussing past shared experiences.

Disclaimer: Wizards of the Coast is not responsible for the consequences of any failed saving throw, including but not limited to petrification, poison, death magic, dragon breath, spells, or vorpal sword-related decapitations.

From what I understand it does mean what level the spell was prepared at is the number of darts cast.

as far what to call spells, i agree the term 'level' should be reserved to class. I am amused at how changing the name of something can completely alter how it is percieved. In an article by MM recently the discussion of changing the name of expertise dice was all that was required by many commenting, not how the mechainc worked, just the name. I like expertise mainly because the term XD can be used to shorten it. I have commented before that changing the term alignment to ethos may quell many that are opposed. But at what point are we altering the game not feel like D&D anymore? those words hold much meaning when discussing past shared experiences.

Yes, it has to be done with care. There has a be a careful balance. I think the main points to be taken into consideration have to do with the level of impact on the game and attachment to the term. Attachment to the term usually applies to more specific terms such as "alignment" relating to moral and ethic views, as opposed to "level" which has traditionally applied to multiple things in D&D.

So I'd support changing to spell circles, degrees, etc; but alignment ought to stay.

Back to the magic missile, let me clarify. Each dart does 2d4+5 damage. You get one dart. The spell also has a special feature that allows you to prepare it in a higher level spell slot (ie, 2-9). If you do, you get an additional dart (worth an additional 2d4+5 damage) which may hit the same target or another target, for each higher level slot you put it in--meaning you get a number of darts equal the level of the spell slot it is placed in.

So you can have from 1-9 darts, each of which can be aimed at a single target and does 2d4+5 damage. I promise that's what the rules mean.

That is what I thought  As a side issue, I tyhink that anytime it might not be perfectly clear whether if you are talking about SPELL level, CHARACTER level,  or CLASS level you should say which you mean. For example say "1 of (whatever) per class level" instead of "per level" when it is not totally clear which is meant.
Nice.  It looks like I was not the only one who noticed this.  I see in the latest package that it is now 2 missiles that do 1d4+2 damage at first level.