Looking for Help and a Link

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey, I'm new, just joined a few minutes ago.  I'm a roleplayer on several forums, and have been for the past 3 or so years.  One of my friends on one of these sites mentioned Dungeons and Dragons.  After a short conversation I got interested in it.  Now he plays table-top with his friends, but I can't do that because the people I hang out with don't really do that kind of stuff.

Anyway, I'm looking for a site, preferably official, where people play D&D online.  A forum sort of place I guess.  I can't search for it cause it takes me to the D&DO MMO, which I am NOT looking for.  You know, a place to make a character sheet, an OOC where you can look for games to join, and an IC where it all goes down, D&D style.

I'd also like a page describing how character sheets look and how they work and how you make them... I don't know much about the 'stats' and what they mean.  I also want to know how and why the dice are needed, how they are related to the stats and interactions, etc.  Also, I'd like to read about the game master's job so I can understand everything.

Thanks,

-TJ
There's the old D&D VT.

On July 30, 2012, WoTC made an announcement that they were closing the D&D VT because they were unable to generate enough support for the tool. It was sold to RPG Table Online, a division of Game Table Online, the company that originally developped it. WoTC_Josh transferred the BETA Forum group onwership to RobEng, Vice-President of GTO.

You can still find the BETA Forum Group here: community.wizards.com/dndbeta/go/forum/v...

And the Campaign Manager here: rpgtableonline.com/welcome.php

Announcements

D&D VT Community Announcement

I wanted to inform you all about an important decision that Wizards has made regarding the D&D Virtual Table  and Virtual Table Beta. While we appreciate the enthusiasm and participation in the Beta phase, we were unable to generate enough support for the tool to launch a full version to the public. Effective July 30, 2012 the D&D Virtual Table Beta will be coming to an end and the VT will be closed.

Over the next three weeks, we encourage you to wrap up your existing campaigns and make sure to gather contact information from your online group members so that you can stay in touch if you like. We realize that because all data generated in the tool is in a proprietary format usable only by the Virtual Table, it is not possible to export your campaigns for use in another tool. You can, however, take screenshots of any notes, maps or adventures that you would like to hang on to or use in your home games.

We would like to thank everyone who participated in the VT Beta and look forward to continuing to support D&D game play through our D&D Insider digital tools and D&D Next.

As you may have heard, Wizards of the Coast has decided to stop hosting the Dungeons & Dragons Virtual Table. I am here to let you know that GameTable Online is in the process of adopting the VT platform and are preparing to host it at our new RPG portal. GTO coded and developed the VT so we are very familiar with the platform and are excited to be going live with this roleplaying game application.

The anticipated name for the new VT will be RPGTable Online and we have claimed the URL address of www.rpgtableonline.com.  We have some work to do to prepare for the transition but expect to be back to hosting online RPG sessions by the end of July! The details are still be worked out but we will let you know how we envision the RPGTO moving forward.

A big concern for us was making sure that your existing VT Dungeons & Dragons campaigns are transferred to RPGTO. To transfer your active campaigns to RPGTable Online all you need to do is register at www.gametableonline.com before we go live and email your GTO User Name and VT Screen Name to support@gametableonline.com. When the transition to the GTO site goes forward, we will port them over so all of your campaigns will be waiting for you!

GTO has been hosting online board games, since 2003 so we know and love games. We are looking forward to the opportunity to expand our online games to include an RPG application.

Robert Eng, Vice-President GameTable Online 

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Anyway, I'm looking for a site, preferably official, where people play D&D online.  A forum sort of place I guess.  I can't search for it cause it takes me to the D&DO MMO, which I am NOT looking for.  You know, a place to make a character sheet, an OOC where you can look for games to join, and an IC where it all goes down, D&D style.

There is no official place people play D&D.  There are different types of gaming though.  There's PbP, Play by Post, which is where you play by forum post.  There's VTT, Virtual Table Top, where you play using a program of sorts.  There's way to play on irc, or even just using skype.  However, if you want the most realistic feel of playing on a table top, you should check out a vtt.  Like Maptools.

1.  I'd also like a page describing how character sheets look and how they work and how you make them... I don't know much about the 'stats' and what they mean. 
2.  I also want to know how and why the dice are needed, how they are related to the stats and interactions, etc. 
3.  Also, I'd like to read about the game master's job so I can understand everything.

1.  The Players Handbook describes it in great detail.  You will want to buy one.  It's the rulebook for the whole system.
2.  Dice add a random element so that not everything is completely scripted.  They help make the group storytelling more exciting.  There are games that do not use dice, but I don't find them interesting enough.
3.  That would be the Dungeon Masters Guide.  Also something you need to buy.    But you only need that first book for playing.  If you want to run a game, you will need both, and at least one of the Monster Manuals for monsters.