Modern Masters

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Modern is easily my favorite constructed format that Magic has to offer.  Although typical niche decks will appear over and over,  the decklists at the tournaments I go to tend to be wide ranged and varied.  My friends and I started playing the game right around when Darksteel came out, so for the most part, we have most of the power rares.  I remember when Tarmogoyf was in the 5 dollar or less box.  I'm not going to say I was that guy that saw its potential when it was only pocket change, but I did manage to purchase mine on a 16 year old's summer job wage.  Fast forward 7 years later,  I'm still playing Magic and this new format "Modern" has come out.  Low and behold I own pretty much all the cards I would ever need to make an awesome Modern deck and of course the coveted Tarmogoyf's and Dark Confidants.  I throw together a semblence of what the current Jund deck looks like and playtest for the next tournament I could find.  Play testing consisted of me playing solitaire at my dining room table.  Nobody had the tools to build a modern deck that would stand up against all of the "Power-rares" that were floating around.  I tried to persuade my friends by explaining to them that not every deck is going to be loaded with cards the price of a small compact car.  They weren't having it.  The inability to play with my playtest group almost shut down modern for me entirely.  Although Modern Masters will add more of the cards that people "ooh and ahh" at when I sit down to play a game thus raising availability and ultimately lowering their value,  this movement will raise the value of modern as a whole making it a far more playable format.  More people will start playing, therefore more people will be looking to trade for modern cards and trade away modern cards, the tournaments will have more contestants thus larger prize pools and magic will flourish.  Not to mention Tarmogoyf will have new art so people will still get their nostalgia kicks with their old models.  To sum everything up,  I just want to see more people enjoying this format as much as I do.
Yes. I'd razz you for posting an essay as an open letter on an online forum, but it's well put and I agree with you. Another point: availibility won't go up much (supposedly we're looking at less than doubling the pool) and a lot of history shows that new art, etc. means that the collector side of card value isn't changed much.

Legacy is out of our grasp without a buy-in that's outside of our reach and modern, at it's creation as a format was stated to be an eternal format that could have it's staples reprinted. It would be more of a betrayal to Modern's stated purpose to not reprint the staples in a manner which keeps the barrier to entry managed than, as a contrasting notion, an anouncement that thw reserve list was no longer a thing would be.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Haha I was compelled.  Too many people have been complaining about tarmogoyfs and dark confidants being over priced and should be banned.
Yes. I'd razz you for posting an essay as an open letter on an online forum, but it's well put and I agree with you. Another point: availibility won't go up much (supposedly we're looking at less than doubling the pool) and a lot of history shows that new art, etc. means that the collector side of card value isn't changed much. Legacy is out of our grasp without a buy-in that's outside of our reach and modern, at it's creation as a format was stated to be an eternal format that could have it's staples reprinted. It would be more of a betrayal to Modern's stated purpose to not reprint the staples in a manner which keeps the barrier to entry managed than, as a contrasting notion, an anouncement that thw reserve list was no longer a thing would be.

I disagree about Legacy. Yes, decks are expensive but it causes people to really research what they want to build and if you have money constraints, which most people do, you basically play this one legacy deck. Obviously Legacy isn't a format where most people have the card pool to be able to build different decks on the fly like Standard or even in some extent Modern. 

Barrier of entry is a problem that keep these formats inaccesible to everybody but Magic as a game has to have some kind of colectability which keeps product being sold for Wizards. IWe've had Chronicles before. There needs to be a balance where we don't fold the card pool with really strong cards but we can't be so restricted that it costs $2000+ to play a format. 
There needs to be a balance where we don't fold the card pool with really strong cards but we can't be so restricted that it costs $2000+ to play a format. 

I don't think this could happen.

"If Wizards put $20 bills in packs, players would complain that they folded them wrong"
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Sign In to post comments