Rules for Gathering and Craft Skills

3 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hi all, 

after years my group and I have found together again. I want to add some elements to my game and would be glad if you could help me with some ideas. What I want to do is to add "Gathering" of materials to use them with "Craft" Skills, both implemented by me. 

Gathering Skills

I make use of the knowledge skills in the PHB (Arcane, Religion, Dungeoneering, Nature, History) to implement the gathering of materials. There are two types of gathering: Extraction (from fallen enemies) and Gathering (from the environment while adventuring). I need help with the latter one. 

That's what I have so far:

• Material Extraction: You can extract materials from fallen creatures according to your knowledge skill (Arcane = "Essences" from elementals / fey / shadow keyworded creatures, Religion = Essences from immortal / undead, Dungeoneering = Bodyparts from abberants / constructs, Nature = Hide from natural plus animal or beast keyword, History = Trinkets from Humanoids). The materials have the same keywords and level like the creature. The amount depends on your skill and the size of the creature. 

• Material Gathering: I want to add the option to gather materials. I came up with the categories Herbs (Nature), Ore (Dungeoneering), Believers (Religion), Crystals (Arcane) and Archeology (History) but can't come up with a good game mechanic.

That's where I need help: 

I need a game mechanic for gathering stuff. I cannot create a list for every region in the multiverse for each ressource. How would you handle this? Would you make a list of herbs and ore with different qualities and deposits and let them role on it? How could it look like? How would you distribute the herbs according to regions without having to work on all of the Multiverse regions? 

And also: 

• I would also like to implement the gathering of wood. It would fit best to Nature but they already have herbs.

• What use could Archeology fragments from the History skill be? Since I cannot create dozens of items I would like them to be managed by a logical game mechanic. 

Craft Skills 

I have also added a new skill called CRAFT which comes with a chosen subcategory (see below). So far, I have created Craft skills related to the Material Extraction section above. 

• Leatherworker: Use gathered Material to upgrade a leather or hide armor. This works like upgrading with Residuum. The material must have the same level as the target product as well as the appropriate type (mainly leather/hide) and keywords (DM-assigned). You can also produce Masterwork Armor with the appropriate materials.

• Armorsmithing:  Use gathered Material to upgrade a scale, chain or plate armor. This works like upgrading with Residuum. The material must have the same level as the target product as well as the appropriate  type (mainly ore) and keywords  (DM-assigned). You can also produce Masterwork Armor with the appropriate materials. 

• Weaponsmithing:  Use gathered Material to upgrade a weapon.  This works like upgrading with Residuum. The material must have the same level as the target product as well as the appropriate  type (mainly ore) and keywords  (DM-assigned). You can also produce Masterwork Weapons with the appropriate materials. 

• Jeweller:  Use gathered Material to upgrade any non-armor, non-weapon item (rings, amuletts, waist, boots, wondrous items).  This works like upgrading with Residuum. The material must have the same level as the target product as well as the appropriate  type (mainly trinkets) and keywords (DM-assigned).  

• Carver:  Use gathered Material to upgrade rods, staffs, wands and implements.  This works like upgrading with Residuum. The material must have the same level as the target product as well as the appropriate  type (mainly fragments) and keywords (DM-assigned). You can also produce Masterwork Versions of weapon-like items (implements, rod, staff, wand) with the appropriate materials.  

That's where I need your help

I now want to add Craft skills related to the Material Gathering section (see above). Some brainstorming:

• Tailor: Create cloth armor (using the rules above). But which material? Which Knowledge skill is related to that? If I don't find something I add Cloth to "Leatherworker" but it doesn't really fit.

• Inscription: Create Scrolls with one-use spells on them (like in 3rd edition), create books and tomes (what could they do?) and enhance rituals with one-use runes. 

• Alchemist: Use herbs and essences to create alchemical devices and potions (replaces the feat). 

• Engineer: Use construct bodyparts to create vehicles and  technological devices. 

Craft Skills 

I have also added a new skill called CRAFT which comes with a chosen subcategory (see below). So far, I have created Craft skills related to the Material Extraction section above. 

• Leatherworker: Use gathered Material to upgrade a leather or hide armor. This works like upgrading with Residuum. The material must have the same level as the target product as well as the appropriate type (mainly leather/hide) and keywords (DM-assigned). You can also produce Masterwork Armor with the appropriate materials.

• Armorsmithing:  Use gathered Material to upgrade a scale, chain or plate armor. This works like upgrading with Residuum. The material must have the same level as the target product as well as the appropriate  type (mainly ore) and keywords  (DM-assigned). You can also produce Masterwork Armor with the appropriate materials. 

• Weaponsmithing:  Use gathered Material to upgrade a weapon.  This works like upgrading with Residuum. The material must have the same level as the target product as well as the appropriate  type (mainly ore) and keywords  (DM-assigned). You can also produce Masterwork Weapons with the appropriate materials. 

• Jeweller:  Use gathered Material to upgrade any non-armor, non-weapon item (rings, amuletts, waist, boots, wondrous items).  This works like upgrading with Residuum. The material must have the same level as the target product as well as the appropriate  type (mainly trinkets) and keywords (DM-assigned).  

• Carver:  Use gathered Material to upgrade rods, staffs, wands and implements.  This works like upgrading with Residuum. The material must have the same level as the target product as well as the appropriate  type (mainly fragments) and keywords (DM-assigned). You can also produce Masterwork Versions of weapon-like items (implements, rod, staff, wand) with the appropriate materials.  

That's where I need your help

I now want to add Craft skills related to the Material Gathering section (see above). Some brainstorming:

• Tailor: Create cloth armor (using the rules above). But which material? Which Knowledge skill is related to that? If I don't find something I add Cloth to "Leatherworker" but it doesn't really fit.

• Inscription: Create Scrolls with one-use spells on them (like in 3rd edition), create books and tomes (what could they do?) and enhance rituals with one-use runes. 

• Alchemist: Use herbs and essences to create alchemical devices and potions (replaces the feat). 

• Engineer: Use construct bodyparts to create vehicles and  technological devices. 

Look at the old 2e/AD&D "Non-weapon Proficiencies."  They didn't have gathering skills, but they had a lot of crafting/professional skills.