Relative D&D Newcomer, need some help with background. Help?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm a relative new comer to D&D and I'm involved with a group of friends that I've known for the better half of my life (3 of them anyway) that are very experienced D&D players. I've been involved in the game for over a year now, and the campaign has been going on for just over 3 years now.

After watching a few sessions of their campaign, and finally getting into the fantasy genre in terms of books, video games, and movies, I decided now would be a great time to get into D&D. We are playing Eberron with a heavy emphasis on Xoriat. Our DM just recently ran the “Seekers of the Ashen Crown” module for us, and the ending battle with Lady Demise was very climatic. One of our group even fell in love with professor Gyd, but seems to have a problem telling her.

Now to the main point of this post:

As I'm a newbie, I didn't know anything about Eberron, and only had the slightest idea of how to play D&D (since then I've obviously become familiar with all the rules). As such, I decided to choose what was in my opinion a “fool proof” idea for a character background. I ended up choosing a Human (easiest to role play for a first timer) Rogue that has amnesia, which seems to fit beautifully into our campaign since we're dealing with the plane of Xoriat. Recently my DM came up to my house and we talked about the game for a while and he asked that I try to come up with some sort of back story and why my character developed amnesia.

One of the idea's I pitched around with my DM and my Uncle was that of a Beholder eating my characters memories. Another involved someone essentially stealing my entire being, masquerading around as me, and I masquerading around as he. These are both good ideas, and I very much like them both. The problem is I'm still not familiar enough with Eberron to know how to really tie things together to make a cohesive back story that works with the setting. If we were playing in Tamriel (Elder Scrolls anyone?) I wouldn't have a problem (I've sunk over 400 hours into that game!).

So I'm looking for help. Any idea's that anyone might have for me would be great. Help me flesh out this character a little bit. Maybe he was a Karrnathi spy working as a weapons dealer in Thrane who just happened to be too close to Cyre on the Day of Mourning and experienced some strange repercussions of his close proximity to the cataclysm? Or maybe something much more sinister happened?

Any idea's are good ideas, because I have very few, and the ones I have don't really fit into what our campaign is dealing with.

So, in recap:

Eberron campaign, Human Rogue with amnesia in a game dealing heavily with the Realm of Madness, Xoriat.

Give me anything!

Here's some crazy ideas (Rarely do I come up with normal ideas):

1) Maybe you don't have amnesia. Maybe you never existed before a certain point in time! Perhaps you are an experiment created by a Daelkyr in Khyber sent to the surface to gather information or perform some task, but you don't realize it. Your first memory is when you were "activated" on the surface. Perhaps you're meant to be used as a Trojan Horse of some kind, but you find your own path and manage to break whatever hold they may have on you once you learn the truth of your existence. (Bonus points to a DM that analogizes your situation with that of the Warforged so you feel empathetic to them)

2) You have a Daelkyr symbiont attached to you, a new parasite that worked its way into your nervous system and began psionically syphoning off your memories. It has fed off your old memories and is now working on your current memories. Maybe you start forgetting things that just happened and your party becomes worried about you. Then, perhaps, you discover exactly what's going on and you have preious little time to find a way to get rid of the symbiont before you're no longer able to remember anything at all!

3) You grew up in the Eldeen Reaches, a little too close to a Gatekeeper Seal. The things bound by it started to break the seal, warping the minds of those nearby. Unfortunately, you were driven mad by the near-release of Xoriat's creations. The druids were able to repair the seal in time, but you and a handful of others were left insane for a time. Your minds were able to be healed, as well, but sadly, your memories were lost in the process. But maybe... just maybe... something is coming back to you. You remember something about the event that drove you insane. Your mind touched that of a creature of madness and in your own insanity, you understood it for a time. And you remember that either some part of it really did escape unnoticed, or there is something worse coming and you need to convince the Gatekeepers that Xoriat is finally planning a new invasion!

My next campaign is going to be Xoriat-centric, itself. Hope these give you some ideas! 
Call me Ender.

2) You have a Daelkyr symbiont attached to you, a new parasite that worked its way into your nervous system and began psionically syphoning off your memories. It has fed off your old memories and is now working on your current memories. Maybe you start forgetting things that just happened and your party becomes worried about you. Then, perhaps, you discover exactly what's going on and you have preious little time to find a way to get rid of the symbiont before you're no longer able to remember anything at all!

That is absolutely perfect.  I love the idea of something living inside him eating away at his memories. Eventually I can slowly have him forget important events that the rest of the party won't understand how I could so easily forget.  There was a pretty traumatizing situation where my character contracted Mummy rot and nearly died.  Since then, its fed into his pessimistic nature and has become a very important part of what his personality is like.  The situation truely traumatized him, so if he were to just forget certain important parts of his life in the past few years it could be translated into some really good role play.  

Thank you for the ideas! 
Sign In to post comments