Invincible Hymn

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Invincible Hymn

"Count the number of cards in your library." is already a required action for determining your library size. The sentence just doesn't need to exist. The card should simply say "Your life total becomes the number of cards in your library."

A new card SPOILER, "Enter the Infinite", says "Draw cards equal to the number of cards in your library,'; it does not say "Count the number of cards in your library. Draw that many cards. ..."
For reference: Touch of the Eternal and Chaos Moon are the other cards that make you "count" a (probably big) number before telling you what to do with it.

It's just for clarity, I suppose. Or maybe to make the effect seem more epic.

If we're changing that, though, I want Ethersworn Canonist to say "Each player can't cast more than one nonartifact spell each turn."
I think it is to prevent people from thinking that their life total becomes tied to the number of cards in their library. For example, they lose 1 life if they draw a card later.
If we're changing that, though, I want Ethersworn Canonist to say "Each player can't cast more than one nonartifact spell each turn."

Is there any potential functional difference, such as the canonist entering or leaving the battlefield at unusual times?

That wording could be misinterpreted to mean "Each player can't cast more than one spell each turn, and that spell must a nonartifact spell."
Not really. I mean, sure, people misinterpret Book Burning but the wording is not wrong, and in my opinion is pretty simple.

You really don't interpret Stoic Angel as "Players can't untap more than one permanent during their untap steps, and that permanent must be a creature." Probably because it doesn't say "creature permanent", but it's the same thing.
Here are the templating comments on Invincible Hymn's Multiverse record. As you can see, we were going for clarity on this one.

BANT
Del 3/7: Removed the phrase "equal to." Now matches Biorhythm. How confusing is this?
MP 3/10: I read this as "always true". Meaning my life total is 33 even if you deal damage to me, because I have 33 cards in my library.
LS 3/12: I don't think it's confusing.  It does sound weird, but as you note it matches existing templates.
Del 3/13: Biorhythm is the one and only card that makes a player's life total become something other than a number printed on the card. An X-template wasn't an option because Biorhythm affects players in different ways.
Alternatives:
A. Count the number of cards in your library. Your life total becomes that number. [Chaos Moon!]
B. Your life total becomes X, where X is the number of cards in your library. [eh]
Del 3/14: Going with the "count" template. Was "Your life total becomes the number of cards in your library."

Del Laugel

Editing manager, Magic TCG

Thanks for the info, Del!

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Sign In to post comments