Wedge mechanics: WHAT D'YA THINK

73 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been thinking about how I might do a wedge block (really, haven't we all thought about that at some point or another?) over the past couple of days, and I thought I'd like to do a mechanic for each wedge ... so, without further ado, here's what I've come up with! I only have very lose flavor-stuff in mind right now (the GWB wedge is all about the cycle of life and death, the GUB wedge is about a hive-mind like organism, the WRU wedge is about a zealous, patriotic, techno-American society, etc)

Rebirth {cost} (, sacrifice a creature: Return this card from your graveyard to the battlefield. Rebirth only as a sorcery.)

Rebirth card
Eternal Angel |
Creature - Angel (U)
Flying
When Eternal Angel enters the battlefield from a graveyard, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control.
Rebirth
3/3

Colonize (At the beginning of your upkeep, you may pay . If you do, put a 0/1 Citizen artifact creature token with haste onto the battlefield.)

Colonize card
Devout Machinist |
Creature - Human Artificer (U)
Colonize
, tap an untapped Citizen you control: Add to your mana pool.
The Artificer's College ensures that progress marches ever-onwards, without really caring why.
1/2

This one gave me the most trouble, but I eventually settled on this:

Gravemind {cost} (: This creature loses this ability and gains all abilities of target creature in your graveyard as long as that card is in your graveyard.)

Gravemind card
Memetic Sludge |  
Creature - Ooze (C)
Gravemind
Memtic Sludge has the creature types of all creatures in your graveyard.
It lurches and twists its gelatinous form into mocking imitations of the dead.
3/3

Definitely the simplest keyword, but also one of my favourites. Inspired by a comment mentioning Rakdos on the Kaalia of the Vast gatherer page. 

Warcast (This spell costs less to cast for each creature that attacked this turn.)

Warcast card
Siege Hellkite |
Creature - Dragon (R)
Warcast, flying
: Tap target permanent. Activate this ability only while Siege Hellkite is attacking.
Even the stone-hearted--and, more literally, actual stone--tremble before a dragon's rage.
5/5

The first keyword I designed (mostly because I really love and feel it's criminally underexplored).  I think I went through about ten versions of this ability before I settled on something I was happy with. As a note: the wedge will have a lot of ETB and haste creatures.

Dreamfuel (As you cast this spell, you may return a creature you control to its owner's hand. If you do, copy this spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.)

Dreamfuel card
Aetherblast |
Sorcery (C)
Dreamfuel
Aetherblast does 2 damage to target creature or player.

Since Dreamfuel will always include at least two cards, I figured I'd show you guys another one:

Hopespring Priest |
Creature - Elf Druid (U)
When Hopespring Priest enters the battlefield, gain 3 life and draw a card.
1/1

comments/criticisms/declarations of personal vendettas all welcome and encouraged 
They all look pretty well developed. There is lots of potential to build around them.

The content you build around those is what's important now. You've got the keywords down.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

That "colonize" keyword seems to be red-green, and maybe red-green-white if you remove haste. That "Gravemind" keyword sounds incredibly dangerous, there's a reason (that I don't know!) why they never printed cards that can borrow non-activated abilities of creatures in graveyards.
That "colonize" keyword seems to be red-green, and maybe red-green-white if you remove haste. That "Gravemind" keyword sounds incredibly dangerous, there's a reason (that I don't know!) why they never printed cards that can borrow non-activated abilities of creatures in graveyards.

I'm aware that putting tokens onto the field (especially small tokens) is usually green's shtick, but the idea here is that they're assembling artifacts (which green hates, blue loves, and white is a fan of particularly since these ones are creatures).

Gravemind is the one that seems most likely to have the potential to be busted, I'll admit. I'm keeping an eye on it at the very least. 
Yeah, and that's definitely mono-white, especially because the color blue only cares about few high-quality creatures instead of many low-quality creatures..
Yeah, and that's definitely mono-white, especially because the color blue only cares about few high-quality creatures instead of many low-quality creatures..

The idea is that blue's excited over the artifact part of it (which was actually the flavor I tried to capture with Devout Artificier. Perhaps I failed :P)

The idea for the RWU Wedge (which, next to BUG, was the hardest to come up with) is that it's all about zealotry, about belief in a progressive, free system and proselytzing on behalf of said system (yes, very much like America; I couldn't resist). Blue's piece of the Colonize keyword will come in most in what it can do with the abundance of Artifacts you get out (which blue does like to do, or at least likes to some time: Sharding Sphinx, Grand Architect which relies on multiple artifacts, Master of Etherium)
Yeah, but such cards are super-rare and care about non-creature artifacts or artifact creatures rather than "regular" creatures..
Yeah, but such cards are very rare and care about artifacts and/or artifact creatures rather than "regular" creatures..

(The Citizens are robots)

Colonize puts a 0/1 Citizen artifact creature token with haste onto the battlefield.
Okay, I read "citizen" as creature type and then didn't pay enough attention to the type-line anymore..
Okay, I read "citizen" as creature type and then didn't pay enough attention to the type-line anymore..

Yep! My first idea was that Colonize (then called "Infrastructure") would put dud artifacts onto the battlefield; not liking that it was basically a "Count these and do this" mechanic, I changed it to memnites, which felt too powerful and not particularly red. It was a friend of mine who had the brainwave of making them hasty 0/1s, which I thought was more or less perfect!
But abilities that require tapping your artifact creature tokens don't care about haste, what's the point?
But abilities that require tapping your artifact creature tokens don't care about haste, what's the point?

For a white creature like this:

Prophet of Citizenry |
Creature - Human (R)
Colonize
Artifact creatures you control get +1/+1 
2/2 

Or a red instant like this:

Outcry |
Instant
Target attacking creature you control gets +3/+0 until end of turn. 

or a RWU card like this:

Master of Ceremonies |
Creature - Human Artificer (R)
Colonize
, Sacrifice an artifact creature you control: Each creature you control gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
"Behold the power of our Great Nation! Behold the power of belief!"
3/2

or a blue sorcery like this:

CARDNAME |
Sorcery
Citizens you control get ": Draw a card." until end of turn. 

These are all kind of off the top of my head, but that's the sort of thing I want to do with Colonize.

(Not to mention, it synergizes nicely with its most similar wedge, Warcast) 
Okay, but why does that encourage you to put non-blue / non-white abilities like haste on the creature tokens? Does the white-blue-red wedge really need surprise attackers that rather belong into a red-green-black shard?
Okay, but why does that encourage you to put non-blue / non-white abilities like haste on the creature tokens? Does the white-blue-red wedge really need surprise attackers that rather belong into a red-green-black shard?

I think it's a little more in that these "surprise attackers" can't surprise anyone without a little fine-tuning; also, while "haste" is non-white and non-blue, it has made its way onto some artifacts.
That "colonize" keyword would be perfect for a white-blue-red wedge if there wasn't haste, but maybe that's just me! Your other keywords have a lot more respect for the modern color pie, I wouldn't complain about them..
That "colonize" keyword would be perfect for a white-blue-red wedge if there wasn't haste, but maybe that's just me! Your other keywords have a lot more respect for the modern color pie, I wouldn't complain about them..

Hrm. You know, I can definitely see where you're coming from.

I'll ask you and everyone else: what would you think of Colonize if it made 1/1 Citizen artifact creature tokens (for )? 
Colonize seems kind of weak and not color focused. Gravemind just seems stupid powerful.

Rebirth is very good for the 3 best creature recursion colors, Dreamfuel is interesting, and Warcast seems appropriate as well.

Gravemind just seems horribly bad because, unlike the others in this list, the power of the mechanic is highly variable based upon othe cards in the deck. The power of Rebirth, Dreamfuel and Warcast is entirely dependent upon the card they are printed on.

I'd replace Colonize with something along the lines of:

Interchange (During your upkeep you may pay , if you do you choose an opponent, then exchange control of a permanent you control with converted mana cost of X with a permanent of converted mana cost of X that opponent controls of the opponent's choice.)

I think this captures reasonably well. Red and blue both deal with control changes and exchanges, and it is coupled with white's ideal of fairness and equality.

As for , something related to card drawing or tutoring, perhaps?

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

You could use these creature tokens that Puppet Conjurer produces, there's no reason to increase the power because that forces you to heavily increase the mana costs of the cards that can produce them..
I feel like gravemind will also have memory issues unless it does something like imprinting (ie exiling) the target card

The potential power of dreamcast makes me apprehensive, especially if you're going to put in cheap guys with tons of EtB value like that UG card you posted

I like colonize a lot, especially because the RWU wedge's (lack of) mechanical identity can be super frustrating. Devout artificer is like a sensible version of kevin's stupid shrimp. 
Does anyone know the problems that prevent creatures like Dark Impostor + Necrotic Ooze from copying other abilities than activated abilities?
my rules knowledge sucks, but I suspected they were trying to avoid a creature with conflicting characteristic-defining abilities
Scenarios of which contradictory abilities would create confusion.

For example, Chaos Lord // Blistering Firecat.

or Maraxus of Keld // Battle Squadron.

I solved this problem by simply developing advanced rulings, but they must have not wanted to bother.

Again, my rules knowledge sucks, but I suspect the problem isn't the rules being able to handle it, it's that players would have no idea how to handle the situations such a card would create without deeper rules knowledge than the average casual player can boast.
Oh yeah, that's what causes heavy problems! As long as that "gravemind" mechanic only copies one single creature card, you should be fine..
Oh yeah, that's what causes heavy problems! As long as that "gravemind" mechanic only copies one single creature card, you should be fine..

I always thought it was heavy flows that caused heavy problems.

By the way, putting that "gravemind" ability on the stack multiple times allows every creature that has that mechanic to execute some of the game-warping combos that Necrotic Ooze could execute, tight?
Warcast is fine. Encourages overextension, but that's not too important.
Rebirth is okay. While the mechanic itself is sound, it can lead to highly consistent and repetive games if there's a good enough card out there. Especially dangerous on limited bombs.
Colonize isn't all that hot for me. I think you might end up with a bunch of cards that are only useful with a bunch of other cards, and they are all somewhat useless on their own. There's only so much you can do with it on common, since it by itself creates a lot of chump blockers, stalling limited games.
I'm not sure what to think of dreamcast. I don't like the name, but other than that I don't know. Feels a lot like conspire.
Gravemind has aforementioned issues.

Really sad you didn't go with "When ~ is reborn,"

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

For a specific issue with Gravemind, instead of these nebulous possibilities: Wormfang Manta. Combined with any Gravemind card, that's free turns. Lots of them. To fix it, you could make it into the Necrotic Ooze mechanic.
Which ever way you go with it, it needs to feel more green, and green's main graveyard interaction is stuff like Eternal Witness, so the whole mechanic may need to change.
One idea for a mechanic that I've had which would fit in Black, Blue and Green is this: "At the beginning of your upkeep, if ~ is in your graveyard, you may exile another card from your graveyard. If you do, return ~ to your hand and skip your draw step." It's a mix between Genesis, Ichorid, and Dredge, basically.
Won a TPmanW contest with Demonic Arbitrator. (see below) My username is a simple continued fraction. Look it up. My favorite cards I've made:
Show
Æther Rider Creatuere - Spirit (U) Vanishing 0 (This permanent enters the battlefield with zero time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.) Flying : Put a time counter on ~. Any player may activate this ability. It comes on the wind, from realms unknown. 2/2 Kaldurian Behemoth Creature - Beast (R) Mana produced by lands may not be used to pay ~'s mana cost. Trample On Kalduria, the beasts are too good to eat common grass. 10/10 Demonic Arbitrator Sorcery Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of life. If any player paid life, repeat this process. If a player paid more life in total than any other, that player searches his or her library for a card and puts that card into his or her hand. Then that player shuffles his or her library. "Your sacrifice has been judged worthy. What power do you require?"
I've always found haste over rated

and firstrike underated

applied fore a job at wizards 7-14-2014

hasbro didn't respond

I live in san diego if any vistitting wizards wants to  contact me 858=483=3822

i'd stop by comicon but my car is broke and so am I

@3-7-15-1-292: I'm afraid that's green-black or even green-black-white, not blue!
I agree that dreamfuel is very similar to conspire, and also think that you might want to go with dream fuel X, creating a variable for the number of creatures, or maybe a minimum combined CMC.
@3-7-15-1-292: I'm afraid that's green-black or even green-black-white, not blue!

since it's a power that goes off on turn 3 I don't want to be paying mana for it

hasbro didn't respond

The mechanics with the two biggest problems seem to be Colonize and Gravemind.

Part of the problem with colonize is: seriously, look at what has in common and get back to me (the answer is: not a lot). I went with making an army of artifact creatures because honestly it was the only thing that felt like it could remotely fit that wedge. I do think that an individual Colonize card could be more useful than you think: the ability to consistently produce artifact tokens for a small cost isn't negligible by itself. Not giving them power, though, prevents said single Colonize card from copmletely dominating a given match. I'm relatively happy with Colonize.

Gravemind, meanwhile, might be too swingy. How would you guys feel about:

Gravemind (When this creature enters the battlefield, exile a creature from your graveyard. This creature has all activated abilities of the exiled card.) 

Or

Gravemind {cost} (: This creature loses this ability and gains all activated abilities of target creature in a graveyard as long as that card is in a graveyard. Activate this ability only as a sorcery.)

I'm not 100% sure a cost is needed on it, but I figure both versions are worth looking at. 
Some abilities that are red-blue-white are creatures with flying, changing targets of offensive spells + abilities, gaining control of cards that did something this turn..
Some abilities that are red-blue-white are creatures with flying, changing targets of offensive spells + abilities, gaining control of cards that did something this turn..

None of which is particularly ripe grounds for a mechanic, I'm afraid (I most thought of gaining control of cards, but that effect is really too "big" to put on a mechanic). Also, I wanted to avoid changing targets of spells/abilities because that's very close to copying, whcih I've put more in .

Seriously. You look up the existing cards in Magic and I think there's like, four, and one is Lightning Angel, another is that dragon that destroys lands, and the only other noteworthy one is Zedruu the Greathearted
Convert - Whenever a permanent deals damage to this creature, you may pay . If you do, gain control of that permanent until your next end step.
Convert - Whenever a permanent deals damage to this creature, you may pay . If you do, gain control of that permanent until your next end step.

That feels a touch too narrow for me. How often will it actually be relevant? Red and white in particular would want to snag something for the combat step, which would basically never happen here.
I think an important question is: Do you need a mechanic for it? I like theScion's take on it, which used the Ally tribe, although I wasn't too happy about the saboteur mechanic he went for.
Auras should have something that RUW could care about.

I really don't think copying abilities is something that you want in abundance.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I think that blue-white-green should be the shard that cares about enchantment.. Anything that hampers or redirects or complicates something that would harm you and your creatures sounds red-blue-white..
IMAGE(http://brendans-island.com/blogsource/20110726ff/eagle-air-lone-440.jpg)
Hunting Eagles in Kazakhstan: It's Not What You Think

Hunting Eagle
flying, first strike
target creature gains first stike until end of turn
Hunting Eagle does 1 point of damage to target creature
~"An Eagles can spot a fish in water from hundreds of feet above"
(1/2)

hasbro didn't respond

Seriously. You look up the existing cards in Magic and I think there's like, four, and one is Lightning Angel, another is that dragon that destroys lands, and the only other noteworthy one is Zedruu the Greathearted

Numot, the Devastator, thank you very much. I use him in EDH. That deck draws fire like no one's business. Partly because I run strong defense and mass land nukes. Numot's job is to slam the weakest enemy and nuke the lands of the biggest threat.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.