Help with building a good tanker human Paladin

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well guys, I've been making characters using the builds found within the player guides, but I find them very... useless.

Say, I have the Player's handbook, and I'm building a Level 3 Paladin Human. His stats acording to the guide should be:

14 STR
12 CON
11 DEX
10 INT
13 WIS
18 CHA

BUT I find out that many of the powers (only 4...) that come within the guy seem USELESS with a stat build like that. Say, I pick Bolstering Strike, the Paladin would be gainin ONE, ONLY ONE TEMPORAL HP beause of his Wisdom Modifier... I don't know what Wizards was thinking when we have to use the almost non-evolving stat modifier... I mean we have the Modifier + Half level which is better -_-;

Well, anyways... My Paladin Aldath has 39 HP and 20 AC with a Heavy Shield +1 and Chainmail +1, plus, uses a Spear to attack.

I was thinking how to make a more efficent build. I have Divine Power Guide but the powers I found there are "meh" and there's no real explanation about Divine Sanction, it's very lose. 

My idea is to put my highest stat into CHA, and take the Melee Trained Feat into CHA (which is arguably one of the most broken feats on D&D). Then, I would make Wisdom my second highest to benefit a little more from those extra Temp HP, and lastly CON to boost my HP since CHA takes care of what STR should be doing. What do you think?
Why are you using chainmail as a paladin? There is no reason to go with anything other than plate mail.

Also, what is a heavy shield +1? Such a thing does not exist in 4e.
Why are you using chainmail as a paladin? There is no reason to go with anything other than plate mail.

About the chainmail, because I wanted to save money for other stuff but you're right... plus my DM is usualy VERY, VERY, VERY GENEROUS.

And about the Shield you're right, the +1 was my Spear, my bad. 

About the chainmail, because I wanted to save money for other stuff but you're right... plus my DM is usualy VERY, VERY, VERY GENEROUS.

And about the Shield you're right, the +1 was my Spear, my bad. 

Chainmail +1 and Plate +1 should cost exactly the same... both being the same lvl item. Use plate.

Also, Paladins get a Cha-based at-will that counts as a melee basic attack (forgetting which it is, maybe Valorous Smite?) - no real need for Melee Training (especially on a human). 
Valorous Smite is an Encounter power, though a rather nice one for low-level CHA-based pals if they're tanking.  Virtuous Strike uses CHA can be used as a melee basic attack.  Ardent Strike uses either STR or CHA and can be used in place of a MBA on a charge.  There's also Enfeebling Strike, which uses CHA but doesn't count as a MBA (but has some fun debuffing if you've marked the target).  If you want to, you can make a perfectly decent tank paladin without ever putting more than an 11 (base) in STR.
What guide tells you to play 14/12/11/10/13/18? Or to take Bolstering Strike? Or to use a Spear? Not the CharOp Guide: Pillars of Faith

Regarding your idea, no, Melee Training: Charisma is a fairly worthless feat, you can (and probably should, unless you're looking at being a Charger) take Virtuous Strike, which is also a MBA, doesn't lose damage, and has a token benefit. And no, you shouldn't be using Bolstering Strike to gain THP, Enfeebling Strike has a much better effect (not getting hit > taking less damage).

Wis is good for your Riders, Con is good for your HP, Str is useful for Multi-classing, and the feat which increases the damage dealt by your Divine Challenge/Sanction by your Strength Mod. Doing something like 13/14/10/8/14/16 and then putting your +2 into Cha for an 18 is probably your best bet if you want to be a good defender.

Please note I said Defender, not "Tanker". Tanking in 4e is a terrible idea that should be abandonded completely, especially as a Paladin. The difference is primarilly in that instead of making yourself as tough as possible to be able to take a beating, you need to realize that unless you can punish enemies for walking away from you and attacking your allies, it doesn't matter how tough you are.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Stop!  Halt all character progress and give Pillars of Faith a nice long readthrough.  The link is in Zathris's post above mine.  It's probably my favorite single class handbook on the board, no disrespect to the fine fellows who authored the other amazing works.

Read it all?  Good.  We now have a solid foundation to make your character, and hopefully you've learned why quite a few choices you've made aren't exactly stellar.  And knowing is half the battle!  (G. I. JOOOOOOOE)

To clarify what Zathris said later on, it's important to know that while there are similarities to a lot of MMOs and the holy trinity of Tank/Heals/DPS, it's not all that accurate in the end.  For one thing, as a Defender you don't tank.  No, if you were to actually take all the attacks, you'd drop like a rock in a single turn, maybe two (absurd builds aside).  You also don't need too; the rest of your party isn't quite as squishy as a typical MMO clothie.  They can take a few hits here and there, and a lot of them actually EXPECT to and build accordingly, with a few occasional self-heals and defense boosters to round out their offensive talents.

Plus, and this is important, threat would be a really stupid mechanic in D&D.  In MMOs, its sort of a necessity.  The AI runs the enemy mobs, so making everything work with a solid threat mechanic makes things managable and not a complete cluster****.  But D&D has DMs, who can weigh options and reason that some mobs are intelligent enough to pick out the serious threats in your group, and act accordingly.

Hence, the real job of the Defender: the Catch-22.  You boost your punishment so that when Team Monster ignores you they suffer things they don't like.  And you boost your survivability so when Team Monster pays attention to you they're significantly less effective.  When Team Monster is left with all bad choices, you're doing your job.

The Chaladin (Charisma based Paladin, which is what you seem to want) is an interesting example of how flat out damage isn't always necessary to punish Team Monster for ignoring you.  Oh sure, your Divine Challenge and Divine Sanction will burn for a nice bit of damage, but just as much you spend a lot of time making all their efforts completely worthless by healing your allies right back up.  Lay on Hands, granting Saving Throws, the stellar Hospilater Paragon Path, it's quite smexy how well you can do it.

...sorry.  Chaladin and Chaladin-hybrids are some of the most fun characters I've had the pleasure to play.  Does it show? 
I have Divine Power Guide but the powers I found there are "meh" and there's no real explanation about Divine Sanction, it's very lose.

As you will see if you read the CharOp guide, Divine Sanction is actually a really important tool for Paladins.  Divine Challenge is simply not up to par as a marking mechanic, so Divine Sanction powers were designed to help. As for how it works, it's pretty much the same as Divine Challenge, but with differing durations depending on the power that grants it.