Angel of Jubilation second static ability

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
The second static ability states:
"Players can't pay life or sacrifice creatures to cast spells or activate abilities"

Quite a bit of players see this as a 2 part ability.

1: players can't pay life

OR

2: sacrifice creatures to cast spells or activate abilties

The way I see is a 3 part ability.

1: players can't pay life

OR

2: sacrifice creatures to cast spells

OR

3: activate abilities

The only reason I see it this way is because the lack of "to" in front of "activate abilities".

Now if the card was stated as "Players can't pay life or sacrifice creatures to cast spells or TO activate abilities" then I would see Angel of Jubilation's abilitiy as a 2 part.
Angel of Jubilation:
«If a spell or activated ability has a cost that requires a player to pay life (as Griselbrand's activated ability does) or sacrifice a creature (as Fling does), that spell or ability can't be cast or activated. Angel of Jubilation's last ability doesn't look for specific words on other cards. Rather, it stops players from taking specific actions. For example, you couldn't activate an ability with an activation of cost of "Sacrifice an artifact:" by sacrificing an artifact creature (although you could sacrifice a noncreature artifact). »

it means that a player cannot activate an ability where paying life or sacrificing creatures is part of the cost of that ability.  For example, a player could not use Altar of Dementia's ability or Blood Celebrant's.  Players can pay life for other purposes and activate abilities where life or creatures are not part of the cost.
Please Autocard: [c]Angel of Jubilation[/c] = Angel of Jubilation

Well to confirm:  They can't pay life to cast spells, they can't sacrifice creatures to cast spells, they can't pay life to activate abilities, and they can't sacrifice creatures to activate abilities.  It doesn't prevent abilities from being activated except in those situations I just listed.

This question might be better in the Rules Theory and Templating forum instead if what you are asking is to change the oracle text of the card.

DCI Level 2 Judge

Rockford, Illinois

Ok I'll try that Segoth. The card probably does need to be reworded. I see how it was meant to play, but as of right now it looks like I can't even use Llanowar elves ability lol
To be read:

Players can't (pay life or sacrifice creatures) to (cast spells or activate abilities)
The card probably does need to be reworded.

Certainly not.

Oh, they could have made it this way:
«Players can't pay life to cast spells.
-Players can't pay life to activate abilities.
-Players can't sacrifice creatures to cast spells.
-Players can't sacrifice creatures to activate abilities.»

But this takes space. The current wording works OK for most people.

I believe to get the effect you expect it would need to be:

Players can't pay life, sacrifice creatures to cast spells or activate abilities.

Cheers