Niv-Mizzet, Flashbacks, and burning vengeance

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all, I'm new to MTG, but I wanted some opinions on a deck idea I had. I got the Izzet/Golgaria deck, and seeing Niv-Mizzet and a friend's Flashback deck gave me this idea.
I did some reading on decks and looked at cards and how the whole game works. I haven't played much, but hopefully I'll learn as I go.

Artifacts(1)
1 Catalyst Stone

Creatures (10)
1 Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
1 Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius
1 Sphinx of Magosi
4 Goblin Electromancer
3 Guttersnipe

Enchantments(6)
3 Burning Vengeance
2 Secrets of the Dead
1 Curiosity

Instants(19)
4 Think Twice
2 Geistflame
2 Izzet Charm
1 Thoughtflare
2 Dissipate
2 Mana Leak
1 Into the Roil

Sorcery(5)
2 Faithless Looting
2 Firebolt
1 Invoke the Firemind

Land(24)
9 Island
9 Mountain
1 Lonely Sandbar
1 Reliquary Tower
2 Izzet Boilerworks
2 Izzet Guildgate

Now I disliked the Replicate Izzet system because I would draw into a replicate spell that sure, I could use early, but it wouldn't be very efficient, and I would end up wasting its potential. I might just be playing them wrong, but I think they're a little tough on someone just starting out. Flashbacks make sense to me. I can use them now, or discard them and use them for later. Basically, I want to throw down some Goblins, counterspell/bounce any big threatening things, and then in the later game get Niv Mizzet and some enchantments out and start flashbacking for card advantage and damage together. Sound like a plan? Bad idea? Any card suggestions? Stuff I should take out? Any advice for understanding economics, card worth, card advantage, or tempo? Strategies I should try out? 
Thanks!

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Guttersnipe with flashback works really well because you are going to do damage, then when you recast the spell from the graveyard, hes going to fire off damage again, I really like him in my Izzet deck
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Hm. I do want to add him. What would you recommend removing?
Let's do away with a vapor snag for now. 

If you can afford him, Snapcaster Mage gives any sorcery or instant flashback, so some of your izzet cards can be played multiple times. Hope this helps
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Think you should consider playing it green as well. Retrace is just fun for recasting things. Land can be recoverd from the graveyard though most of the good stuff that does so is expensive. life from the loam for example with retrace would be fun.

With a slightly different take on things you can use nizzy for a really annoying reanimator. careful study attunement frantic search and faithless looting get kinda fun when drawing gets you stuff. You would have to play black though for good reanimation.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
It's been done over and over, but slapping a Curiosity on Niv can be gg, so I'd add one.
I was wondering if there were any enchantments like that. The fact that it's one blue makes me giddy. Thanks.

Mine goes with a full grip of Guttersnipes and Burning Vengeance but runs Catalyst Stone and Epic Experiment. Absolutely hilarious.