3.5 monster books other than monster manuals?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am in need of getting an Xmas gift for someone. He is looking for more monster resources for 3.5e. What other books out there would be a good monster resource?
The "Climate" books (Frostburn, Sandstorm, Stormwrack) all have environmentally appropriate monster, iirc. Both the Eberron Campaign Setting and Magic of Eberron have more. As a matter of fact, I think most of the Eberron books have extra monsters.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
The Revised Tome of Horrors has a bunch of good monsters in it too, several hundred i think.
If your friend is up for epic level opponents, on the order of Cthulhu, I'll write up my inlaws as 3.5 entities. Just put some money in an envelope and send it to me at...
I'm pretty sure he already has frost burn. He may have the other two. Tome of horrors sounds new to me though. That may be my best bet.
Nooooooo in laws! I need to fight these things and he doesn't give us magic items.
Is that tome or tomb? I'm finding Google hits on tomb onlt
I've seen a 2e Barney the Dinosaur write-up online. How about that one?
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
There was also...

Monstrous Compendium: Monsters of Faerun (A Forgotten Realms softcover, 3.0 rules)
Fiend Folio (A hardcover book released on the cusp of 3.5 and using mostly 3.5 rules)

All around helpful simian

I'm having trouble finding the tomb of horrors stuff for 3.5. I think I found one, but it's just a small article available via pdf
www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/200...

Crazy_monkey, is this the one you were thinking of?
www.amazon.com/Fiend-Dungeons-Dragons-Fa...

The D&D logo looks like a 3.5 logo at least. Think it would be easily applicable to 3.5 and wouldn't have too much overlap with the monster manuals? 
Hmm...What about Fiendish Codex I? It doesn't say how many creatures it has in it, but it seems like it would primarily be a monster book.
www.amazon.com/Fiendish-Codex-Dungeons-R...
Fiend Folio was mostly compatible with 3.5 and you should have little trouble using the monsters in play.  There might be a few issues if you intend to scale the monsters up or down, add class levels templates, etc.

Draconomicon, Lords of Madness, Libris Mortis, Fiendish Codex I, and Fiendish Codex II provided indepth rules, story, and details on a particular types of monsters.  Specifically...

Draconomicon - Dragons
Lords of Madness - Aberrations
Libris Mortis - Undead
Fiendish Codex I - Demons
Fiendish Codex II - Devils.

All are excellent resources if your campaign focuses on those types of monsters.

Edit: Also, the Tome of Horrors (with an "e") is a third-party product originally produced by Necromancer Games and now under the ownership of Frog God Games.  The Tomb of Horrors (with a "b") is 1st edition adventure that has seen updates, revisions and sequels in every edition since then.

All around helpful simian

I like the fiendish codex I and II. Full of demons/devils for you to fight. ~20 or so monsters each, plus high level named foes. 

The environment books are also good.

One great side effect of buying monster books for your friend is you get to direct the campaign. Want to go on a viking warrior quest? Buying frostburn definatley couldn't hurt... 

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"                                                  "I'd recommend no one listed to Krusk's opinions about what games to play"

Serpent Kingdoms has Sarrukh , Pterramen , Ophidians , Wereserpents etc. It also has a lot of notes on playing reptillian races like Yuan-ti ,naga,lizardfolk ,basically anything that was'nt covered in Races of the Dragon.

I will immediately report any Phishers or Lonely Hearts Scam Artists.

It depends on the type of monsters he wants, There is the Draconomicon if he is a big fan of Dragons, Fiend codexes, if he likes Fiends and such. I thinking the Monster Manual 3 contained a real good selection of monsters of all kinds
Krusk, you are absolutely right about directing the game by getting him books.  Last year I picked up Dragon Magic for him because there was a feat in there that I wanted to take :D

I wound up getting Fiendish Codex I because our campaign just recently had a dimensional rift open up with demons spewing out of it throughout the continent. Demons are most definitely going to be utilized.

And, of course, there are some interesting looking feats in there that he might be able to toss my way. 
Have you considered going to Spelljammer.org for all the outerspacce monsters and flying ships?

I will immediately report any Phishers or Lonely Hearts Scam Artists.

Sign In to post comments