Adventures Help?

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello, I will soon be DMing for a group new to DnD, and because of this, I do not want to create my own campaign, or I know I'll likely confuse the new players. I was wondering what adventures I could buy (like Keep on the Shadowfell), that people would recommend. I was thinking of running Keep on the Shadowfell, but I am currently unable to find it anywhere - even online. The group will consist of four players. Also, if you reccomend one, could you also reccomend which ones to use after that perticular one. Thanks for reading.
I recommend getting a DDI (Dungeons & Dragons Insider) account for one month and downloading *all* past adventures in Dungeon before your one-month subscription runs out. For that $12 one-month subscription, you will have 153 adventures designed for 4e spanning nearly all levels (with a heavy emphasis on heroic tier, moderate for paragon, and modest for epic).
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
I'm also very interested in doing that. Do you know how many adventures are in Forgotten Realms or Nentir Vale (generic)? I know that you can use any adventure in any settings, but some are harder to convert.
I recommend getting a DDI (Dungeons & Dragons Insider) account for one month and downloading *all* past adventures in Dungeon before your one-month subscription runs out. For that $12 one-month subscription, you will have 153 adventures designed for 4e spanning nearly all levels (with a heavy emphasis on heroic tier, moderate for paragon, and modest for epic).

This is by far the best way to get your game moving with premades. There are so many adventures, you shouldn't have any problem getting to tenth level. Most are pretty easy to drop anywhere and in any setting.
I'm also very interested in doing that. Do you know how many adventures are in Forgotten Realms or Nentir Vale (generic)? I know that you can use any adventure in any settings, but some are harder to convert.

Because I play in a world of my own making, I end up converting or conforming everything, so I have not paid any attention to the setting the material was made for. Perhaps ohers can help.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Click on the RPG Sample Adventures section on the New to D&D section of our website for a free copy of Keep on the Shadowfell as well as an Eberron focused adventure called Khyber's Harvest.

Hope that helps. 

Edit: Forum links don't appear to be working so here's the url
www.wizards.com/dnd/Feature.aspx?x=new/l...

All around helpful simian

If I were starting anew with a 1st level group and had a DDI subscription, I would run them through the Chaos Scar. All sorts of different adventures, and you can tie them into a loose campaign.
If I were starting anew with a 1st level group and had a DDI subscription, I would run them through the Chaos Scar. All sorts of different adventures, and you can tie them into a loose campaign.

Good advice.  Plus you'll be able to use your DDI sub to create easy-to-use character sheets for your new players.  

You might want to use pre-gens or at least offer the option as it's a new group.  There's a good resource here for those here: http://dungeonsmaster.com/pre-generated-character-library/

Good advice.  Plus you'll be able to use your DDI sub to create easy-to-use character sheets for your new players.  

You might want to use pre-gens or at least offer the option as it's a new group.  There's a good resource here for those here: http://dungeonsmaster.com/pre-generated-character-library/

That is a good resource, except for the characters are horrifically designed.  I remember looking at Season 8 and being appalled at how bad those were.  The Monk with no stat over 16?  The dwarf with a 1hander and no shield?  The Knight who took a daily summon of terribleness?  The warlord that somehow manages to be a terrible warlord when that class is so full of overpowered stuff that it is the go-to for 80% of optimizers when they need a leader?

I wouldn't take the road through the dungeonmaster.com unless I had no other choice. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

That is a good resource, except for the characters are horrifically designed.  I remember looking at Season 8 and being appalled at how bad those were.  The Monk with no stat over 16?  The dwarf with a 1hander and no shield?  The Knight who took a daily summon of terribleness?  The warlord that somehow manages to be a terrible warlord when that class is so full of overpowered stuff that it is the go-to for 80% of optimizers when they need a leader?

I wouldn't take the road through the dungeonmaster.com unless I had no other choice. 

Season 3&4 are a fairly decent set of 'typical' PCs and many of the others are solid builds.  It's a vastly superior offering to the pre-gens in the Quick Start rules, which is what most new players are going to end up using if they don't get shown other options.  Feel free to link to something better...
A group that's just getting started is the perfect opportunity to dispense with any kind of optimization concerns. Or with the power of reflavoring. Or both.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

A group that's just getting started is the perfect opportunity to dispense with any kind of optimization concerns. Or with the power of reflavoring. Or both.

True, if everyone plays as a complete gimp, then no worries.  You can just build the campaign with the fact that you PCs are terrible in mind.  But if 4 people play gimps and one player brings a well-tuned character to the table it isn't unreasonable for the other players to feel cheated.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

I really should get back to working on those characters... 
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
True, if everyone plays as a complete gimp, then no worries.  You can just build the campaign with the fact that you PCs are terrible in mind.  But if 4 people play gimps and one player brings a well-tuned character to the table it isn't unreasonable for the other players to feel cheated.

Look at the language you're using. Characters are either "gimped" and "terrible" or "well-tuned." That's an utterly false dichotomy, particularly in a game that has a DM who is able to adjust things on the fly, to keep anyone from feeling "cheated," and particularly in a pen-and-paper roleplaying game, in which not everything is the end result of a calculation. Particularly in 4e, a character can simply be "adequate" and perfectly enjoyable, even inside a more optimized group, without much, if any attention to what is "optimal."

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

Look at the language you're using. Characters are either "gimped" and "terrible" or "well-tuned." That's an utterly false dichotomy, particularly in a game that has a DM who is able to adjust things on the fly, to keep anyone from feeling "cheated," and particularly in a pen-and-paper roleplaying game, in which not everything is the end result of a calculation. Particularly in 4e, a character can simply be "adequate" and perfectly enjoyable, even inside a more optimized group, without much, if any attention to what is "optimal."

Fair enough, it isn't clear from my post that I am meaning mechanics only.

From a mechanical standpoint those characters are not optimized and very weak when compared to characters that have made more mechanical choices in creating their character.  You can play a mechanically weak character and have a lot of fun with the game, that is true.

However to dismiss that having power imbalance at the table is an issue is to be disingenuous. While it shouldn't effect the non-mechanical role play very much (and one of the keys to 4e is that there is the divide between mechanical and flavorful) it can be rather unfun for a player at table to see someone else's character at being better than them at combat.  What's more, there isn't a reason for that to be the case.

Setting the RP aside (because honestly, that is independent to how mechanically powerful your character is and not what is being discussed), if you are playing at a table with another player and you notice that the other player hits more often, hits harder, has cooler seeming powers, is harder to kill and generally feels more heroic, it takes something from your gaming experience.  I've seen a couple of people in my entire gaming career who have said this is absolutely not the case and refuse to even think that numbers is a part of the game and I have only met one person who genuinely didn't care what his character did or did not succeed at.  Most people, in my experience, want their characters they are playing to be heroes. If you play with characters with poor stats, lackluster skills and hodgepodge abilities it will be difficult to feel like a hero unless the game is lowered to your level mechanically.  If you have no character who is mechanically strong to compare to, you will not feel mechanically weak.

I know I said the same thing 4 times, but I feel like I've said all of this to you in the past and we are just talking past eachother.
Show

Back on the subject of adventures, I recommend starting with HS1: The Slaying Stone. By far the best 1st level adventure for 4E. After that, I would recommend Reavers of Harkenwold, which comes packed with the Dungeon Master's Kit (The PCs should be the correct level after the Slaying Stone). After Reavers, HS2: Orcs of Stonefang Pass looks neat, and is correct level, though I've not personally run it (I do own it). Alternatelly, the "mega adventure" Madness at Gardmore Abbey would fit directly after Reavers of Harkenwold. 

These are my personal recommendations, which also include avoiding the DDI subscription - it seems like a good idea on the surface, but many of the "adventures" in Dungeon magazine are very short and/or not very well written, in my opinion. And the longer/better written ones usual are not too "use right out of the box" friendly, which is what I look for in a module.  

An error in my previous post - Cairn of the Winter King, which comes packed with the Monster Vault, would fit level-wise after Reavers of Harkenwold, before Orcs of Stonefang Pass. Cairn is another good 4E module. 
Also, as I didn't see it mentioned earlier (frankly I should have said something) livingforgottenrealms.com has a lot of free adventures for download and play that give you very large level ranges (an entire tier per adventure) to work with.
Show
Get a copy of Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, an old 1st Ed mod. With a little conversion, makes a great low-level story.