Healing Method Suggestion

During my last playtest session we got to the point where the players needed a long rest. Which came after five encounters.
We looked at what the current and optional healing rules where and as a group, we were unhappy with what is presented. The standard EVERYTHING back is too much. While the others were to gritty for our group. So, one of my players came up with this suggestion:
"For healing during an extended rest (without additional healing aids) roll a Hit Die without losing it, and you get that many hit points plus you Con modifier back."
With this you get back your Hit Dice and regain some hit point. I know there are those out there that don't want a variable with this kind of thing, but my players prefer their random dice to be random, so you could apply the minimum listed with rolling HP. 
Thought? 

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Take the herbalism feat chain and healing should be taken care of.

One thing my players and I did was allowed healing potions have 3 "doses". Thus each healing potion can be used 3 times.

We are working on a healing spell version of this but so far it just means  each battle the PC's are at full hp.
During my last playtest session we got to the point where the players needed a long rest. Which came after five encounters.
We looked at what the current and optional healing rules where and as a group, we were unhappy with what is presented. The standard EVERYTHING back is too much. While the others were to gritty for our group. So, one of my players came up with this suggestion:
"For healing during an extended rest (without additional healing aids) roll a Hit Die without losing it, and you get that many hit points plus you Con modifier back."
With this you get back your Hit Dice and regain some hit point. I know there are those out there that don't want a variable with this kind of thing, but my players prefer their random dice to be random, so you could apply the minimum listed with rolling HP. 
Thought? 

It sounds great for grittier games, but it doesn't feel like an extended rest to me. Extended rests are going back to town and sleeping in the tavern. I feel you should recover more fully than just a single hit die being added back to your hp in that case. Now a quick camp in hostile territory for 8 hours, it sounds like a really good houserule, but for all extended rests... I'd say only in a grittier game where you want serious injuries to take multiple days to heal.
I'll be using this one - Optional Rule for Slower Recovery - All-­‐Around Slower Recovery: At the end of a long rest, you regain no hit points, you regain a number of Hit Dice equal to 1 + your Constitution modifier, and you can spend any number of them without using a healer’s kit use.

i agree that sleeping in hostile territory would not be the same as resting in a comfortable inn, though if you are tired enough you can get some rest just about anywhere.

You could go -

short rest - healers hit allows 1 Hit Dice per use.
medium rest - 4 hours in hostile terrain, 1 Hit Dice + Con Mod. Unable to rest more due to concern/environment.
long rest - 8 hours in comfortable area, all Hit Dice returned and additional Hit Dice worth of healing automatically.

Key things for D&D - Where is the character from and why do they do what they do? / Recurring NPCs - allies and enemies / Plot, World and Personal Events.