Fallen Empires draft!

370 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alright I said I'd try so here we go.  Fallen Empires draft!

Since it was only an 8 card pack I will be combining 2 packs so it'll be a little bigger with 16 cards.

Pack 1:

Elvish Farmer
Hollow Trees
Goblin Grenade
Homarid
Hymn to Tourach
Elvish Scout
Goblin War Drums
Merseine
Icatian Phalanx
Thrull Retainer
Spore Cloud
Combat Medic
Homarid Warrior
Thorn Thallid
Thallid
Icatian Javelineers
I'll take the Grenade.
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
This set was waaaay before my time. Should be interesting. The only card I'm really familiar with is Hymn to Tourach. I generally prefer keeping my options open by avoiding cards with heavy color commitments, but hymn seems too good to pass.
Thorn Thallid. Thallid decks will end up with more creatures, and this one works for direct damage as well. There are a lot of 1-toughness creatures in Fallen Empires (Order of Leitbur and its counterpart, for two of the best ones), and it can repeatedly kill them.
I agree with Thorn Thallid. The Thallid ability seems really strong for its time.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
It's between Thorn Thallid and Goblin War Drums.  Evasion for everything seems good, and the fact that we're only passing one other red card vs 2 other Thallids (plus more green) makes me lean towards the Drums.
Do you guys see the hymn? 
Having played back in the Fallen Empires days, just about the only playable card to come out of that set was Hymn to Tourach. Which ironically ranks up there with the best discard spells of all time.

In case you aren't familiar with the card, it isn't just two discards for 2 mana, it is 2 random discards for 2 mana.
Having played back in the Fallen Empires days, just about the only playable card to come out of that set was Hymn to Tourach. Which ironically ranks up there with the best discard spells of all time.

I'd say Goblin Grenade was pretty playable.

I do remember a few Goblin decks back then, but no one serious ever played them. Most decks revolved around CA. So either you ran with blue if you had the top cards (Power 9 + Mana Drains) or you ran with discard. A few people ran combo decks, but the number of counterspells and discard effects made that a gamble, outside of the Land Tax, Land's Edge deck I used to run.

I do remember a few Goblin decks back then, but no one serious ever played them. Most decks revolved around CA. So either you ran with blue if you had the top cards (Power 9 + Mana Drains) or you ran with discard. A few people ran combo decks, but the number of counterspells and discard effects made that a gamble, outside of the Land Tax, Land's Edge deck I used to run.

There were plenty of solid aggro decks that finished people with Goblin Grenade.

We should be passing green in this deck. The Hymn is double black for a discard spell...not exactly super relevant in a really slow draft environment like Fallen Empires.

Let's send green signals one way and get back our red cards in pack two.
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge

Yes, this is true as well. Just not close in power level to hymn.

We're picking Hymn. the vote doesn't matter here.  

Your reminding me more and more of bobus with each passing day.

If you don't want the grenade, fine take one of the Thallids.

Hymn is NOT the pick here.

Yeah cause I'm the one who created a "waaa i got flooded change the rules" thread. 

Yeah cause I'm the one who created a "waaa i got flooded change the rules" thread. 

No, you just troll everyone else's threads in an attempt to mock or belittle them.

Here you are being arrogant. We are exchanging ideas in a draft, for a set in which some of us actually used the cards!

Hymn isn't a unanimous pick because it's not that amazing a draft card.

Picking two black for a discard spell Pack one pick one isn't very good.

But unlike you, I actually entertain the arguement, although I voice disagreement I'm not telling you that the vote doesn't matter.

Ignore the trolls should be my rule but I'm willing to respond once and be the bigger person.

Let's pick up the Fungus pinger thing. Looking at Hymn and Phalanx as the other strong cards in the pack.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!

No, you just troll everyone else's threads in an attempt to mock or belittle them.

Here you are being arrogant. We are exchanging ideas in a draft, for a set in which some of us actually used the cards!

But unlike you, I actually entertain the arguement, although I voice disagreement I'm not telling you that the vote doesn't matter.

Ignore the trolls should be my rule but I'm willing to respond once and be the bigger person.

Just to get the logic straight here in every thread I disagree with bobus which makes me a troll but in this thread I agree with him on something then that makes me a troll that I'm disagreeing with non-bobus people. I'm just making sure that I'm on track here. 

And according to you if I'm a troll you're feeding a troll which is the opposite of what you want to be doing. So congrats. 

I belittle bad thoughts because not all thoughts are equal. Don't be offended that you had a bad idea because everybody has them. 

Just to get the logic straight here in every thread I disagree with bobus which makes me a troll but in this thread I agree with him on something then that makes me a troll that I'm disagreeing with non-bobus people. I'm just making sure that I'm on track here. 

And according to you if I'm a troll you're feeding a troll which is the opposite of what you want to be doing. So congrats. 

I belittle bad thoughts because not all thoughts are equal. Don't be offended that you had a bad idea because everybody has them. 

i acknowledged I shouldn't respond to you but for the sake of being civil I'd like to address what's being directed at me. It's not a bad idea to take Goblin grenade in Fallen Empires draft. Hymn is not that strong in a really slow format. Red had some strength in this format.

I feel your idea isn't even in the top 5 cards we should draft here.

I'll take the pinger.  Sorry, shadow, but this isn't constructed, and repeatable removal for small guys is just obscene.
I hate dogs.
According to gatherer there aren't many goblins in the set so I'm writing off grenade right away. So it's between thorn thallid and hymn. i think thorn thallid is kinda meh, 3 turns is a really long time to wait for 1 damage. I want the hymn.
13/31 common creatures in fallen empires are x/1s, and the format lacks removal and doesn't look like one in which games get closed out quickly.
I hate dogs.
I'm not sure if the Tapped Out values are to be taken seriously, but here is the order in which these cards are picked in a Fallen Empires Draft:

Thorn Thallid 1.68
Hymn to Tourach 1.96
Elvish Farmer 1.99
Thallid 2.60
Icatian Phalanx 2.92
Elvish Scout 3.83
Icatian Javelineers 4.01
Spore Cloud 4.23
Combat Medic 5.21
Goblin Grenade 5.80
Hollow Trees 6.00
Thrull Retainer 6.39
Homarid 7.43
Goblin War Drums 7.96
Homarid Warrior 9.12
Merseine 10.58

Wow... I had forgotten what a remarkably weak set this one was. Considering that Goblin Warrens is the top draft card.Goblin Warrens -> Krenko, Mob Boss is a good way to measure power creep over the years.
I give up, the set is just so awful.
hmm... Armor Thrull is the only card, and seems... Well, not completely terrible. Otherwise, I'm fine with Brassclaw Orcs.
If we had taken the Grenade we'd have an easy pick here...
Tappedout fallen empires average pick order:  the ultimate determinant of card quality.
I hate dogs.
brassclaw orcs is at least a card that sucks less than the rest of these...
Some of you folks might not know what to do whena set doesn't have many bombs but I'm not really bothered by low power cards. Hence why I wanted a spell that deals 5 damage and then I would've followed up with a goblin in pick two. I'll keep drafting the deck I was trying to make.

Pack One:
Goblin Grenade
Goblin Flotilla
Stop whining about could have beens. Brassclaw orcs.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Some of you folks might not know what to do whena set doesn't have many bombs but I'm not really bothered by low power cards. Hence why I wanted a spell that deals 5 damage and then I would've followed up with a goblin in pick two. I'll keep drafting the deck I was trying to make.

Pack One:
Goblin Grenade
Goblin Flotilla

Logical fallacy. You're assuming if we picked the goblin grenade we would still have the same cards here. It doesn't work that way. 
Actually, it does until P1P8.

Also, we should take the Armor Thrull here. It's a creature and an on-board trick. It's alright in Master's Edition, at least.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Don't be ROTty...
I hate dogs.
Last pick should've been the Thallid, but Hymn's close. 

This pick is the Thrull, since 3 toughness is relevant, and the chump block/pump ability is awesome.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Pack One:
Goblin Grenade
Goblin Flotilla

Logical fallacy. You're assuming if we picked the goblin grenade we would still have the same cards here. It doesn't work that way. 

I guess you're not familiar with how draft works. Here's how it works buddy. Everyone opens a pack, takes a card and passes it. Taking Goblin grenade has ZERO effect on what the people around me are going to pass me on Pack One Pick one...I suggest you learn how draft works before you open your mouth.

Pack One:
Goblin Grenade
Goblin Flotilla

I guess you're not familiar with how draft works. Here's how it works buddy. Everyone opens a pack, takes a card and passes it. Taking Goblin grenade has ZERO effect on what the people around me are going to pass me on Pack One Pick one...I suggest you learn how draft works before you open your mouth.

No, I'm actually speaking more metaphysically. You cannot asume that both of the actions of taking a card would have produced the same cards we are picking right now. 

Stop being so butthurt. Seriously.  
Quantum mechanics does not work that way.
Check out my cube!
Show
57193048 wrote:
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:

nah like philosophically. I don't believe in science. 

First rule of losing an arguement. When you realize you made a mistake, start talking about metaphysics.
It's not a bad idea to take Goblin grenade in Fallen Empires draft.

There are 2 Goblins in the set. You're right, it's not a bad idea, it's a mother humping horrible idea.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

First rule of losing an arguement. When you realize you made a mistake, start talking about metaphysics.

He never intended to "argue" in your sense of the word.  He simply intended to raise an abstract and irrelevant objection for the amusement of himself and others.  Your responses have contributed greatly to that amusement, and for that, I thank you. 

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
Sign In to post comments