How to make a Necromancer?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello, I'm new to dungeons and dragons (playing officially anyway) and I am going to start playing D&D encounters at my local hobby shop.  I set my heart on playing a Necromancer and i'm looking for advice on how to actually make one since necromancer isnt an official class but a branch from the wizard or something.  Heres basically what I want from my necromancer:

-ability to raise and control the dead
-debuffs to cast on enemies
-necromantic damaging spells (dont really know all spells that deal necrotic)
-just basically a simple classic necromancer who specializes in undead raising/control and other necromancer spells lol

I ordered the rulebook and i'm waiting for it to come in so I just want some basic advice before I start reading it.  What other books should I get that will have information on creating a necromancer class?

any advice is appreciated =) 
I don't think this goes here, but I'll try to answer it anyway.
Necromancy is indeed a branch of the Wizard (Mage). I don't know THAT much about it, but they do seem to be able to utilize a lot of debuffs and whatnot.
Lots of personality test results
Show
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/6.jpg)

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

Hello, I'm new to dungeons and dragons (playing officially anyway) and I am going to start playing D&D encounters at my local hobby shop.  I set my heart on playing a Necromancer and i'm looking for advice on how to actually make one since necromancer isnt an official class but a branch from the wizard or something.  Heres basically what I want from my necromancer:

-ability to raise and control the dead
-debuffs to cast on enemies
-necromantic damaging spells (dont really know all spells that deal necrotic)
-just basically a simple classic necromancer who specializes in undead raising/control and other necromancer spells lol

I ordered the rulebook and i'm waiting for it to come in so I just want some basic advice before I start reading it.  What other books should I get that will have information on creating a necromancer class?

any advice is appreciated =) 

The Necromancer Mage has a few spells which summon an undead pet. You will not be able to raise dead at will.

Your major abilities will be to cause Necrotic damage and inflict some hard control.

While you may not be able to summon legions of the dead, there are quite a few summon spells for Wizards. Talk to your DM and see if he will let you reflavor the powers so that the creatures you Summon are Undead Americans (they hate being called "zombies") instead of the default fluff.

But, alas, for reasons of game balance, the old school necromancer and his armies of the dead is not possible for a player to make in 4E.

Well I dont really want legions just maybe raise a couple zombies or if i see an enemy zombie be able to control that.  The undead pet summon sounds very appealing and I love the necrotic damage.  I don't really care about controlling legions of the dead but I just want people to be able to look at my spells and immediatly go "thats a necromancer" 
Step 1: Go to CharOp

Step 2: Read Wizard Handbook

Step 3: Make / Post your build (expect criticism, eventually get help)

Step 3.5: ???

Step 4: Profit
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
The necromancy mage school is printed in the heroes of shadow book.
Some of the cleric powers in heroes of shadow have a very strong "necromancer" flavour including an attack that brings the target back as an undead minion once it dies.

You said that this was for encounters some of the encounters seasons have had build restrictions so depending on the next seasons rules some DMs may not allow all possible options that are inherently or eassily reflavoured to NECROMANCY.

The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.