Esper Control Only Commons And Uncommons

18 posts / 0 new
Last post

So here is my first attempt to build a 3-color and a control deck..I will post the decklist as it is right now hope you help me make it better the deck is only for casual play with friends...keep in mind that i dont have money to spend on rares so i will try to build it with commons and some uncommons only...Here is the deck

The mana base is simple i will add 4x Azorius Guildgate and maybe Jwar Isle Refuge and Orzhov Basilica

[deck]

Creatures

4x Vampire Nighthawk

1x Archaeomancer

2x Fiend Hunter

1x Talrand's Invocation

1x Lingering Souls

Instants/Sorceries

1x Negate

3x Cancel

3x Think Twice

3x Murder

4x Dead Weight

2x Tragic Slip

4x Feeling of Dread

1x Oblivion Ring

[/deck]

Cards i consider to add Delver of Secrets [C]Augur of Bolas[/c]

Also i use Fiend Hunter because i dont have any spare O.Rings

Any suggestions are welcome

I personally like Into the Roil over Feeling of Dread, but I haven't played with it. 
I personally like Into the Roil over Feeling of Dread, but I haven't played with it. 

I have cards from innistrad and rtr block and i dont want to buy cards from older sets but ty for the reply
Control is gonna be really hard to do well with such a limited scope of cards you are willing to work with. Not only are you not delving into the power of other sets, but you want to do it in pauper. That's all well and good, but the deck won't really be that consistent or controlling.

But I'd say you need some dig like think twice
Control is gonna be really hard to do well with such a limited scope of cards you are willing to work with. Not only are you not delving into the power of other sets, but you want to do it in pauper. That's all well and good, but the deck won't really be that consistent or controlling.

But I'd say you need some dig like think twice

I know i lose a lot of cards by playing almost at pauper format but my friedns also play with no rares also we try to play standard cause we cant find cards from older sets so easy...
Well if you are gonna be in the pauper format anyway, id suggest all the relevant guild gates for mana fixing. They come in play tapped, but so what? Not like your playing real competitive decks.

Then just pick the best stuff from the colors you are in.

Black has some discard like appetite for brains and mind rot, as well as removal like death wind and ultimate price

White has pacifism and oblivion ring, banishing stroke as well as lingering souls.

Blue has all sorts of draw (the only thing I'd really use blue for here). think twice, divination. Perhaps essence scatter and a few negate perhaps.

Multi color has judge's familiar and azorius charm

Those are the cards id build around. The next thing after that is figuring out what creatures you want to use to win. I'd run like 3-4 big dudes in all different colors as win cons to give you flavor and resiliency

...wait, scratch that last part. Only creature I could find in common/uncommon that wasn't total garbage was archangel so just run 4 of them IMO.

That should be a good idea of where you want to be in standard pauper Esper control

Cheers!

Some Changes 

-2Fiend Hunter

+2 [C]Oblivion Ring[/c]

-1 Talrand's Invocation

+1Isperia, Supreme Judge i bought her for 1$ from a friend

So does that mean that's your final list?
I think i will change the deck a bit
I will post the core of the deck

I am thinking to add 2 spare Bloodgift Demon i have. This is around 50 cards
 i can add some more black removal like Dead Weight or 
death wind
If you are not going to go find even cheap old cards there was very little reason to ask for help.

In 2 color decks you use mana leak instead of cancel.

The old card that would help you most is curfew the newer less good choice is peel from reality

(curfew can handle a first turn reanimated inkwell leviathan
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
^^he already said he is only getting RTR and INN cards. I would assume m13 as well.

That said.... Your list could be better even with that card pool.

Compare to my list.

4 xarchangel

3xappetite for brains
3xdeath wind
1xtragic slip
4xessence scatter
4xpacifism
4xthink twice
1xultimate price
4xdivination
4xmind rot
4xoblivion ring

4xazorius guildgate
6x island
7x plains
7x swamp

Super cheap, effective. Got 8 draw spells to keep your hand full. Some discard to hose their hand, lots of spot removal and neutering effects. O-ring can nab anything else. Essence scatter because you are really only worried about creatures in a pauper format. Archangel finishes the game pretty quickly and vigilance makes for a good blocker too. Kinda the only win con, but we aren't worried about extraction effects in pauper. Not the best solution but hey I made this in 5 min.

This is just my opinion, but like skein said, don't come on here and ask for advice then just turn around and make superficial changes. You can make it play a LOT tighter than you were, and quite frankly, your original list is full of jank

How about this?

And i know that my original list was crap but this is why i post here to get some help now i think it is looking more like a deck rather than a pile of B/W/U cards

Mana leak and d blade are solid choices, I just thought you wanted your deck standard legal. Looks pretty tight as is. Glad to see the draw in there. Should play pretty well against your buddies. May want to find room for some evolving wilds now that I think about it. Even with all the draw, you may find games where you are cut off from a mana source, most likely black. Could help you fix.

Looks solid tho. Cheers

About mana base i will have to wait for Gatecrash to get the Orzhov and Dimir gates 

I hade mana leak and d blade on box and i thouhgt why not to use them after all is casual play

Once i get the cards on my hands and play with the deck i will post here any changes i may make

Edit : Also i want to thank you about your suggestions 

No sweat mate. Sorry if I came down on ya a little hard. Some days ya get the nice J, some days you get cranky J. My apologies.

I'm glad you like the suggestions. It should be pretty fun even with no rare cards. Hope you beat up your friends!
No sweat mate. Sorry if I came down on ya a little hard. Some days ya get the nice J, some days you get cranky J. My apologies.

I'm glad you like the suggestions. It should be pretty fun even with no rare cards. Hope you beat up your friends!

I think that building a deck with not so many good cards like mine is funnier than giving tons of money to buy one OP deck but thats just my opinion
You can actually build some very op casual decks for really cheap. 
What i want to say is that you dont need 200$ deck to have fun