LED

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cast Lion's Eye Diamond

Anounce that I'm casting Back of a Magic Card which costs 3 mana.

Sacrifice LED and use that mana to cast Back of Card from my hand.

Does this sequence work like this? I know you're supposed to be able to activate any mana abilities as a part of casting the spell. So can I use my LEDs for a card from hand? 
No, you cannot do this. Read the Oracle text for the Diamond:

Sacrifice Lion's Eye Diamond, Discard your hand: Add three mana of any one color to your mana pool. Activate this ability only any time you could cast an instant.

Since you can only activate the ability when you could cast an instant, you cannot activate the Diamond's ability while announcing a spell and cannot use the mana to cast a face down creature from your hand.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

The current Oracle wording of LED says you can only activate it any time you could cast an instant. You can't cast instants while in the process of casting another spell. Ergo, you can't activate LED's mana ability after announcing the casting of a spell from your hand. 
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
Thanks much!! Still a fantastic card in the right context.
Sign In to post comments