D&D like games for my computer

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Do any of you know of a game like D&D (Not an MMORPG like D&DO) that I can play for free. Pref ably one that I would download so I can play off-line and would be just like playing D&D but on my computer.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

I'm sure you can find the Neverwinter Nights games pretty cheap, or possibly even free to play.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..

You're not going to get a decent game free. Cheap, sure, but not free.

The original NWN game is ridiculously cheap on Amazon.com, while the Diamond edition that comes with all the expansion packs and extra stuff is $20 or less.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

What is the full name?

bauldars gate just got rereleased. Its ancient, but a very solid DND experience. I'd say that series is the closest to "DND on a computer" I have seen. 

Its 20$ which isn't bad. The rerelease is also apparantely on ipad, but I didn't try that one yet. Probably won't try it if the ipad release is an additional 20$.  

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"

I'd go with NWN:

www.gog.com/gamecard/neverwinter_nights_...

The graphics are pretty badly outdated, but there is a huge amount of excellent community-built content that you can download for free.  If you want something a little more up to date, you can pick up Dragon Age for around US$10.
I need something free because I don't have any money. The max size the download can is 250 Mb. I want it to be like playing D&D on my table but is on my computer.

I need something free because I don't have any money. The max size the download can is 250 Mb. I want it to be like playing D&D on my table but is on my computer.

Free...You mean D&D, the game?  Well, you still need at least the players handbook.  Nobody is going to tell you how to download it for free, since that's illegal.
After you have that, check out maptools.  There is a free thing that is just like playing D&D. The problem with that is that someone would still need to run the game.  D&D isn't really a solo adventure.

The real problem here is that 250mb limit.  There really isn't a free D&D game under 250 mb.
I have D&D. What I want is something that is like playing D&D on my table but on my computer.

Maybe Heroes of Neverwinter on Facebook ? It is free. I have not played it myself, so I don't know if it is good or not.

I have D&D. What I want is something that is like playing D&D on my table but on my computer.

The way you want it, it's not going to happen. Either purchase NWN for cheap (or a similar game, also cheap) or get DDO for free, or play actual D&D via skype/maptools (a virtual 'tabletop' program) and do it that way.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..

Join a play by post game. 

Alternativley some sort of browser game. 

You won't get anything close to DND with a browser game, but it is free. 

Good Old Games has some RPGs for like 5$, download them. (generally more than 250mb)

There isn't much that fits your requirements really. DDO is free IIRC, if it still exists

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"

games:

baldur's gate enhanced edition, baldur's gate 2 and expansion, neverwinter nights and expansions, neverwinter nights 2 and expansions, gothic 4, etc..  For more you could always go to www.ign.com and look up reviews of games for the style you're looking for.

alternatives:

I know you said no MMO's, however there's many options available that are free:  Lord of the Rings Online, Guildwars 2, Path of Exile, Dungeons and Dragons online.

You could also join an online DnD table that uses a combination of skype and maptools to play.  You could also try to create a live table in your community or join one.  There's a lot of sites to find other players in your area.  www.meetup.com is a good one or you could use the looking for group forum on these boards or something else.  You would be surprised how easy it can be to find other people in most areas.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

If I could play Lord of the Rings online. I would be on my desktop and do nothing but. But alas I only have 16 gig Internet. Cry

I think we need some clarification...

Do you want a video game that plays by D&D rules?  You create a character on the computer like you would at the table, and then go through a computer generated campaign.  Baulder's Gate and Nevrewinter Nights are old but will do this.  There are some REALLY old freebies online, but they play by 1e and 2e rules.  See: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_%... for a list of all video games created based on D&D rules.

Do you want to play table top D&D on your computer?  There are a couple of ways to do this:

- forum gaming: instead of meeting face to face you "play" on a forum like this one.
- video conference gaming: each player stays in their homes at their computers and with a web cam and microphone you play the game as if you were at the table but not.

Do you want computer based tools to play D&D?  As has been said, there are ways to acquire source materials for D&D in a "soft" format, all of which break copyright laws.  There are legitimate tools for character creation and DM assistance that work for both tabletop and remote gaming.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

RedSiegfried wrote:
The cool thing is, you don't even NEED a reason to say yes.  Just stop looking for a reason to say no.