Help me with Modern Artifact Deck.

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok heres the deal, Iv never playd modern and I wana convert my artifact deck from legacy to modern. Most of the cards ar ok for modern but my big problum is the lands. All the lands in my deck are artifact lands.

My question is do you think this will afect my deck much not to have the artifact lands in it?  
Yes, it will, but Affinity is a Tier 2 deck in Modern, so look around for a decklist. The colorless artifact land is legal, and most play both blinkmoths, glimmervoid, and steam vents
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
affinity is a tier 1 modern deck actually.  and the only artifact lands it runs are darksteel citadels, you will however want to run as many inkmoth nexus and blinkmoth nexus you can.  if you don't have the nexus lands probably try something different as they give the deck a lot of resilience against removal.
I consider Affinity Tier 1 in Modern...it has a LOT of threats that have to be dealt with (infect and basically any creature equipped with cranial plating, multiple signal pests, etc. You're right..the land base is tricky. I'm running 2 Glimmervoid, 4 Inkmoth and 4 Blinkmoth, 4 Darksteel Citadel, and 2 Island...purely for Path to Exile (as well as 4 Mox Opal..which I count as lands. I would run two Mountain if I ran red in my maindeck (Galvanic Blast, Fling, etc) but I don't...just Blue in the maindeck, red in the board. But...to answer your question, it's not as much as a problem as you'd think. The affinity mechanic itself isn't really too relevant in my build...just Metalcraft. Artifact count obviously is great to have high for Master of Etherium and Cranial Plating. If you're not running it already, run Springleaf Drum...it's an amazing mana fixer and allows for some silly turn 1 and 2 plays.
SGAL: you're making the classic power to tier miscalculation. It's about popularity. Not that I'm weighing in on that particular debat; I just feel the need to maje sure we're having the right conversation.

There are two lines of reasoning in the deck. I'd call them 'affinity' and 'robots', although those terms aren't really set ib definition.

Affinity decks are beyond blisteringly fast. You attempt to dodge the hate by aiming for something an ideal t3 goldfish, although that's strictly idealism. You hand should be pretty much dumped aside from your burn. You just race other aggro decks. Think a deck that likes etched champiob because it won't go blocked.

Robots is more reliant on the inherent syngeries. Steel overseer and master of etherium give the guy more time to see an ancient grudge but they're amazing.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Ok, let me rephrase. Robots (which is what my deck is, based on the fact that it's not based on affinity and is more based on etherium, steel overseer, etc) and at least in my area, it's probably actually like..tier 1.5. Some matchups are just plain hard. Eggs and Storm are hard to beat game 1...and if Jund lucks into a really good cascade, I just plain lose...but that's about it for problems (just in my meta).

more for the OP than anything else: The beauty of affinity/robots is there's a lot of different ways to do it.  You can do the red version with galvanic blast and/or fling, the mono blue maindeck 'robots' version like I'm doing with a lot of versataile threats, U/B Tezzeret builds, etc.

Actually, it's not really that popular in my meta...I'm one of two people that are playing it and I very rarely run against the mirror.   
The problem with artifact based decks in modern is the tons of hate for artifacts that tends to float around in sideboards.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

People keep saying that. Everything is either jund or tuned to beat jund. The scariest SB scheme I can think is 4x ancient grudge with maaaybe some more spot removal. Granted, that's outright terifying,
but they're going to see maybe 11-12 cards tops. You've got better odds than, say, dredge does. Kataki is scarier, I suppose, but he's a dude and less valuable anywhere else.

Lingering souls seems scarier. On the draw it hits before your crucial turn and it buys a turn agains orni's, forces frogmites to hold back, etc. That sort of stall is fundamentally worse, especially since it's maindeck and/or free.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
I've just been having the most horrible luck possible with my opponent's cascades with Bloodbraid (Abrupt Decay and Liliana mostly). Sideboard hate isn't really all that hard to play around as my build has so many threats to deal with (though...shutting down cranial plating hurts, a lot).

Lingering Souls in the white builds of Jund is easily my biggest problem in the deck, though.   
Yeah... Hate is hate, and given the slots available, how much they need to see, etc., you can play through some of it. Speed kills. The number of slots dedicated to it will vary based on percieved dangers and so forth. Storm, eggs and all the rest will see to that. Any combo deck faces that, it's the price you pay for noninteractivity.

Meta shifts which happen to hurt 'us' while being completely valid choices of their own right is the real kicker. A stall after that first half of their life stomp is bad since it pulls the game into their realm of value. The solid chance of them hiting a stall before then...

Well, suddenly we're looking to trade raw power for value in interaction. Suddenly the hate has value. Hurkyl's recall buys a lot more time in a deck that starts unloading after a windup. You're suddenly stuck caring about Hurkyl's or even wrath. Ugh.
76783093 wrote:
Sign In to post comments