thread ideas for this forum?

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
1) I would like to see more contests where YMTC people work in a team and more contests where YMTC people talk about different things than GM_Champion's personality or card-design.. That one contest where you merged with someone else was incredibly entertaining!

2) What do you think of best-of threads with the best cards of the past week or the past month or the past year? Unfortunately, cards that are posted in chain-game threads don't receive enough feedback to decide if people like them..

Do you have other ideas?
I've had this thread open in its own tab for the past few hours so I could remind myself to keep thinking about it here and there and respond.

1) I think a team contest would be pretty cool.  If it's more than a one-round shot contest, it would need to be carefully designed so that dropped out team members won't decimate the chance that the team gets to win.  I'll give this some more thought.

2) I think month would be the most appropriate time frame.  This is a forum, so I think year could be alienating for people; and I think week is too soon; some cards are still getting comments after just a week.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
this forum needs more threads of ideas for threads.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Sets I Made: Fleets of Ossia (complete) | Wavebreak (in progress)

this forum needs more threads of ideas for threads.

Shouldn't you start a new thread about that, rather than post here?
theatog inspired me to make something I'll probably never realize, but some sort of interconnected thematic experience depending on the cards created sounds hecka cool.

But exams are going on, and shtuff.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

What's the best way to exclude players that don't read the contest rules and post once and never return?
Don't have a contest that relies on select people to keep posting.
Or give it a big title that makes it seem important.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

What's the best way to exclude players that don't read the contest rules and post once and never return?

Two/Multi-part audition rounds?
We need Iron Chef to some back. That was awesome.
I have contest ideas by no one ever plays so I stopped caring.
I've been wanting to do some contests or projects for the Expanded Multiverse here but I'm not quite sure what form they would take, exactly. It's tough since the aims of the Expanded Multiverse are really pretty different from the aims of most of the contests here, I think. And I really wouldn't know how to judge cards mechanically.

Still, it would be cool to build a stronger relationship with this board, since we're all sort of creatively responding to the game. I'm just not quite sure how.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
I've been wanting to do some contests or projects for the Expanded Multiverse here but I'm not quite sure what form they would take, exactly. It's tough since the aims of the Expanded Multiverse are really pretty different from the aims of most of the contests here, I think. And I really wouldn't know how to judge cards mechanically.

Still, it would be cool to build a stronger relationship with this board, since we're all sort of creatively responding to the game. I'm just not quite sure how.

You could make it a flavor contest and only rate them from that point of view. I've done it.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Here is a list of contests I've either tried and failed at or just never got started. If you are into making contests, feel free to poach one:

Scenario contest
This is like a Magic puzzle, except contestants design the missing piece. As a simple example:

Your opponent Kara is at 7 life with 3 cards in hand and 45 cards in her library. On the battlefield she has 6 tapped Swamps and 3 Relentless Rats, one tapped. She also has 3 Relentless Rats in her graveyard.

You are at 9 life with no cards in hand and # cards in your library. On the battlefield you have 2 Forests, 2 Mountains, a Llanowar Elves, a Bloodbraid Elf, a Drove of Elves, and Krosan Drover. It's the beginning of your draw step. Design a card that you could draw right now to win the game.

This type of contest encourages creativity both in design and in play. It takes a bit of work to setup thorough and well thought out scenarios, but it's fun when you do it right.

I have more, I swear, but I'll post them later. 

I love to design and build worlds and how mechanics and story play off each other to let the player feel what the set is about rather than make cards, if you ever need more help with contests or your project thing.
Do you have other ideas? Do you think that we really need a best-of thread?
Why don't you find all the good games like asembly line and absuyrd add-on and stuff and keep a little list somewhere so youc an just bump older great games.

Iron Chef

Artifact Creature--Chef

: Make a meal that doesn't impress the judges, no matter what you did. 1/2

Okay, I'm thinking more of Gordon Ramsey.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

my contestant waiver in YPTC seems to have done a good job so far of keeping participation fairly high. just make everyone who auditions post that they're gonna keep participating, and don't let in the people who don't do it. then you're just left with the people who paid attention and know what the deal is.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Sets I Made: Fleets of Ossia (complete) | Wavebreak (in progress)

Iron Chef

Artifact Creature--Chef

: Make a meal that doesn't impress the judges, no matter what you did. 1/2

Okay, I'm thinking more of Gordon Ramsey.

Gordon ramsey is lame.
Do you have other ideas? Do you think that we really need a best-of thread?

Noddegamra for a long while hosted a "best of the week" thread where he snatched cards from various forums and celebrated them. That evolved into a nomination and voting system. I think we could do something equivalent and make it interesting. The format I'd envision would be as follows:

On person runs the thread. The very first one, each person is allowed to nominate one card designed by any person other than themselves, posted anywhere in YMTC within the last week (and that time guideline wouldn't be too strict). The next thread would have a muiltiple choice poll, vote as much as you want for whomever you want, and that thread would also serve as the nomination thread for the next week.

You know what, I might just do this myself. 
Down in F&S the most active thread is the Introduce Yourself: General Discussion and Semi-Gritty Reboot thread. I kinda love it, because there is almost no discussion of Magic. I don't think it would work here. Our population is larger and the consistency more varied.

Anyway, I just really like that thread and I wish there was an achievable equivalent here. The General Discussion can often be very interesting. And I know more about most of the users down there because of it than I know about most of you, even though I spend most of my time up here. Sometimes I just wonder things about you guys. Like, what kind of pants does Razor wear? What does TP think of the servant profession? And does Theatog like to use "party" as a verb?

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.

You could make it a flavor contest and only rate them from that point of view. I've done it.

I like that plan. I think I would want to do it with a partner, though--so, I could do flavor, someone else could do mechanics, we end up combining the score.

@Chaos Light:

I'll keep you posted if I come up with anything to do for the project up here. I mean, you already know that I really like your Pirate Planechase set. That kind of product might be well suited to the kind of planehopping storyline shennanigans of the Expanded Multiverse.

I can second Pablo's suggestion of a general off-topic thread, with the caveat that F&S is a whole lot smaller and we all tend to get along fairly well--at least, we manage to keep things civil in public, for the most part. :P Starting a thread like that could be a bit riskier here...
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Scenario contest
This is like a Magic puzzle, except contestants design the missing piece. As a simple example:

Your opponent Kara is at 7 life with 3 cards in hand and 45 cards in her library. On the battlefield she has 6 tapped Swamps and 3 Relentless Rats, one tapped. She also has 3 Relentless Rats in her graveyard.

You are at 9 life with no cards in hand and # cards in your library. On the battlefield you have 2 Forests, 2 Mountains, a Llanowar Elves, a Bloodbraid Elf, a Drove of Elves, and Krosan Drover. It's the beginning of your draw step. Design a card that you could draw right now to win the game.

This type of contest encourages creativity both in design and in play. It takes a bit of work to setup thorough and well thought out scenarios, but it's fun when you do it right.

I actually made that contest once, but in typical fashion I never finished grading the last round. Here's the last thread, if you're interested.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

@Rush_Clasic: I was thinking of creating a best-of thread myself if people would like to have one, but I don't care who does that and I'm a lot more interested in discussing the concept now.. I would have to agree with FirstTurnKill that one week might be too early, because people just discussed most cards recently.. And whoever creates a best-of thread should probably search for the cards (from the last month?) with the best feedback on his or her own and then post them, because most people would only suggest new cards from that month they can remember instead of some older cards from that month..
Let's discuss the concept before one of us two people just makes the thread the way he or she thinks is the best..
Sign In to post comments