So, how do you keep your cards organized?

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just curious how obsessive people are at sorting their cards? Do you keep them all in binders, sorted by color then cost? Separate them by set? Keep them organized by actual catalog number, with open slots to put new ones when you get them? Do you toss them all in a box? Or stick cards you've got more than four of in a special binder for trading?

I've got my decks in boxes, and my spares in a binder, but every time I get a new booster pack, I need to reshuffle things. (Picked up a lot of boosters recently, now I've got a lot of organizing to do this weekend...)

Edit: Oh yeah, I also keep a catalog on my iPad for easier reference.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Expensive rares ($5+) automatically get a spot in a binder. Everything else gets to go in one of my 1,000 counts. Separate box for rares and foils separated into Standard rares, foils, and nonstandard rares. Each color gets a box sorted by set for all standard legal cards and then nonstandard and then basics. Nonbasics, artifacts, and multicolor get a box. Then I have quite a few other boxes full of cards I have deemed 'extrememely unlikely to ever see play ever' that I shift cards into when the other boxes get full.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
($5+) rares in a special box. Standard (un)commons are in some fat pack boxes. Other cards are in a big suitcase.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

5 thousand card boxes. All none standard common and uncommons alphabetized. 

Anything older then Ice Age gets its own special binder. Rares have there own binder done by color.

Standard common/uncommon as well as foils have there own boxes, sorted by color but unalphabetized. 
I pretty much keep to the blocks, sets and collector's numbers. If possible, each block gets its own binder (rather hard lately due to more big expansions which make my usual binders not big enough). The blocks are sorted by color, then set, so all white cards from a block are together, then all blue ones, and so on. For multicolored cards, I sort them by color combination rather than going by collector's number. I put playsets of the cards in each spot if available. When a new set comes out and I'm not likely to get many more cards of the old set, I start shifting the cards up to get rid of the holes where cards are missing. Artifacts and lands have their own special binder, but mostly, the order within follows the same principle.

This way, I can easily find any card I want from my collection by using gatherer.

Rarity, foil, playability or monetary value of the cards are of no concern for me in this.

Spare cards, usually commons, are kept in booster boxes (one for each color, one for multicolored and artifacts and token cards) with up to another playset. Everything else is put into my trade binder, for trade or simply as give away.

Holy Moly that's a lot!  How many cards does each box hold?
I have 3 levels of organization for my collection of cards not in decks. 

Trade fodder: rares in a binder. Regular cards in front, foils in the back, organized by color but not much else and not "religiously". Uncommons organized by color and then alphabetically by card name in two fat pack card boxes. 

Not-for-trade U/R/MR: up to one playset of most cards in three big binders for now. One huge binder for creatures, organized by color and then alphabetically by card name, except for multicolor section which includes both creatures and other spells.

Commons: currently in two 5,000-7,000 ct. card boxes. Separated mostly by blocks with one section for Core set and anything I happen to have picked up from before Scars block. Within blocks, organized by creature / non-creature, then color, then CMC, then P/T for creature and instants/sorceries/enchantments for non-creature cards and equipment/non-equipment within artifacts.

Commons

Holy Moly that's a lot!  How many cards does each box hold?

I think  he means boxes that hold 5,000 cards.

I keep my cards organised by set and collector number in cake boxes.  I don't bother with binders as it means too much shuffling around when I get new cards and empty spaces trying to anticipate what I'll end up with.  I know what I've got from a database I keep in MS Access.

I tried to upload a picture in another thread, but can't seem to get it to work.

Cheers  
With great difficulty.

1 binder per block to hold one complete set, emphasis on foils and artist-signed cards.

4 5-column boxes with up to a playset of each card.  Split creatures/non-creatures.  Sorted by color (WUBRG, multicolor, hybrid, artifact), by type (enchantment/instant/planeswalker/sorcery), then alphabetically.

Standard cards kept separately.  1 1-column box holds standard rares, 2 1-column boxes hold standard uncommons, and commons are stashed in the boxes the boosters came from.

A whole bunch more boxes hold extra commons, uncommons, and land, sorted by color and alphabetically, because I just can't throw them out.
I have a binder per expansion, and I organize them by Collector Number, and I will fill a sleeve with up to 4 extras. All excess cards past that, I place in Large Count boxes that you typically can buy in Card Stores.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Format, colour, alphabet.

Six boxes (cheap plastic tool boxes like this one) and four binders.

The binders have (a) tradable foils (b) tradable rares/mythics (c and d) unused tradable commons/uncommons.

The biggest toolbox has all the unusable crappy cards - my mindless nulls and shield mates are there, things I'll never use nor trade, separated only by color with no other division.

Another box has usable cards. I'm not currently using them but may use someday; they go by color, then creatures/non-creatures, with no other division.

The smallest box has only basic lands; all basic lands not being used go there, grouped by type then art.

Another box gets tokens, schemes, rules tips, "how to play" rules booklets, unused deck boxes... I can't get 

Then there's the Cube box, including enough basic lands to play with it.

And finally a box with my casual decks (14 currently). Plane cards also go there, and some spindown life dice and planar dice.

[<o>]
I'm not near as obsessive as some of these people. i just have one big binder organized by rarity, then colour,and then within each colour it's organized by card type. I haven't been playing too long (only a couple years)and i dont often buy boosters so i don't have so many cards that i need multiple binders.
For me its a pretty daunting task, I'm in the process of cataloging my unused cards now.  I keep them separated by color, rares an uncommonc in Thousand card boxes, esparet boxes for lands, artifacts and multicolored.  Commons go in 5000 count boxes, sorted by color then type.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
MTGO takes care of it for me.  

(After college I sold off or gave away almost all of my physical cards; the remainders live in a small cardboard/duct tape box I made) 

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

I have piles on most of my furniture.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Just curious how obsessive people are at sorting their cards?

I spent 6 months (and 200 episodes on YouTube) sorting my cards.

Episode 1
Episode 200

I try to put cards from only one set or block inside of a box, sorted by color>mana cost>name.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

for me it's Frame [old vs modern - not including other types than those two basic frames], then by color, then by name.
MTGO takes care of it for me.  

Yep, me too. I love only needing four of any card and putting them in any number of decks.

My only physical cards are from the various drafts I do with friends. They just get shuffled into huge piles by rarity which I use with my nephews to generate random boosters for sealed.
Sign In to post comments