Grand Architect = Tron?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
I don't play competitively, but I do try to "check-in" every now and then to see what decks competitive players are using.  I've noticed that Grand Architect has never really seen a whole lot of play in Modern.  It's been bugging me for a while as to why this card has never found a home in Modern (or even Standard when it was legal AFAIK).  On the surface, it certainly looks good enough for Modern, if not altogether on par with Bob.  The more I think about it, the more I've come to the conclusion that any deck built around Grand Architect would probably be a lot like a bad Tron deck.  The capability of producing gobs of mana very early would be there, but at the price of being both extremely vulnerable to removal and the likelihood that your fatties would need to be artifacts.

So here are a couple questions for the deck builders out there.  1)  Is this a fair assessment, Grand Architect = bad Tron?  2)  Assuming someday there could be a home for him, what's the missing piece?  What sort of card would you be looking for that would make you take another look at specifically Grand Architect?
The missing piece is Tron. Rock them both.

He doesn't come online till turn 3 at the earliest. Granted, if you make your drops or the like that's a turn 3 wormcoil or Batterskull, but those aren't *that* terrifying, and since creatures are a lot morw
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
*more (arg, moby posting) easy to remove than lands you're in dire straits. Tron is more durable AND has more redundancy in it's enablers. He dies to lightning bolt (a card that will be in decks that care about a lifelinker on the ground), and you're looking at a lot of potential for either not seeing your architects, not seeing your fatties or not seeing you cheap dudes who power architect (although you CAN run a lot of cheap guys who double as force spikes). It may sound sad, but turn 3 wormcoil into a turn 4 blightsteel likely your best case scenario and that's only going to take you so far.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Grand Architect saw some play in UW Puresteel decks.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

Grand Architect also say play in Standard aside Heartless Summoning for a while too.  I believe Brad Nelson created some sweet brews with the card.  It never broke through in any big tournament, but it was an occasional player.

@Cyklown:  You can't play Architect and Tron together.  Architect makes you want to play a very blue deck, while Tron forces you to run 12 colorless lands.  They simply don't go together.  Tron has a tough enough time just getting a single red or green (or white/blue in the bad version) for their current spells that making UU is going to be next to impossible.  Not only that, but the deck would be a lot worse against Blood Moon because you don't get to cast any of your spells from under it until you get enough lands into play.

The artifact restriction is also pretty harsh.  The best threats out of Tron are typically not artifacts.  Karn, Liberated on turn 3 or an Eldrazi soon after is next to impossible to deal with.  So you'd be replacing some extremely powerful threats for lesser threats with more restrictions.

Once you start talking about what you can use to replace Tron's giant threats with, you lose a lot of efficiency.  Typically, the big artifact threats are more expense than Tron's threat suite, so you have to ramp up faster.

On top of all that, you need cards that are both blue (or make tons of blue mana) and artifacts.  The deck would need a snowball effect.  If you stuck one big threat, the opponent has to deal with it immediately or you use it to drop something bigger.  Big mana decks like Tron and Wolf Run work because the threat isn't just that there's some giagantic threat on the table, it's that they can continually drop massive threats every turn.

I would want to try some kind of U/R brew with a kind of reanimator kick with faithless looting, trash for treasure, wurmcoil engine, and inkwell leviathan.

could rock etherium sculptors and the architects as ramp.

potential line of play: 

turn one: mountain, faithless looting (discard inkwell leviathan and some other card.
turn two:  darksteel citadel, exile simian spirit guide, trash for treasure sac citadel put leviathan into play.
The opponent WOGs after taking 14, you lose? Game 2 they side in Hurkyl's from their board that they run to hate a different deck.
76783093 wrote:
So how do you play tron with a 3cmc creature, and a bunch of small blue guys?

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
The opponent WOGs after taking 14, you lose? Game 2 they side in Hurkyl's from their board that they run to hate a different deck.

OMG my opponent might have removal.  Better quit magic because i will never win a match ever...  /sarcasm
A) Sweepers rather than removal, B) We're talking about a 'combo' that requires you to vomit your hand and potentially sac lands which doesn't win for 4 turns and is completely dead if that plan fails. At least the AiR aims to race WoG.
76783093 wrote:
Sorry for the sarcasm.

Don't be afraid of being creative when building decks because your opponent might have an answer to your win condition.  Cyclown's line of thinking is similar to this "well i better not play Tron because my opponent might have blood moons in his deck".

We could sit here forever with somone listing deck ideas and somone else listing cards that stop that deck from winning.  That would be pointless wouldn't it?

Going back to question in the original post:
1.  Grand architect is not "bad tron", similar but different.  To be honest it's probably not good but could be fun to try.
2.  I would be looking for some kind of engine to take advantage of the mana produced from grand architect.  Something like pili-pala perhaps.

Eh, blood moon says you've still got 7 mana to play with. That gives you chalice on 3, a coil or a vigi lifelinker plus 2 mana worth of hate.

Pilitect is better, although pili needs to untap (or be greaved) so playing pili off of tect is harder. 4 mana t3 is also a thing. Dork that make u, tect, greaves, pili, perhaps.

I'd fill it with drakes. 12 might be excessive, but it's there.

Grief with it at fnm. It'll be awesome. It's a shame we'd die to hate meant for other decks.
76783093 wrote:
I would want to try some kind of U/R brew with a kind of reanimator kick with faithless looting, trash for treasure, wurmcoil engine, and inkwell leviathan.

could rock etherium sculptors and the architects as ramp.

potential line of play: 

turn one: mountain, faithless looting (discard inkwell leviathan and some other card.
turn two:  darksteel citadel, exile simian spirit guide, trash for treasure sac citadel put leviathan into play.

So, this is your god hand, and it still doesn't kill them until turn 5.
And if they hit wrath, damnation, or Liliana, it's GG.

I'm sorry, I just don't think this is feasible. 

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
Go Grixis, run blue-artifact ramp into Sphinx of the Steel Wind and Inkwell Leviathan with Unburial Rites if they have you discard one of your win-cons. Ethersworn Canonists maindeck could slow down aggro and combo decks a bit.

If you go this route you'd need to run a heavy-control deck to protect your pieces. 
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

At that point running less cute tricks and more control shell... Well, gives you a better but entirely different deck. That wants more Brown ****
76783093 wrote:
I found prototype portals to be the best thing for Grand Architect to do. With Wurmcoils and Myr Battlespheres.
IMAGE(http://www.spritestitch.com/forum/images/ranks/rank7mario.gif)