Entering first tourney ever... Deck suggestions?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have played off and on for 13 years though never competitive. 
My city is running a Modern format and I like this as it gives room for using a wide variety of cards. Now I have a deeply analytical mind and am a very good strategist in the sense I know what to do and when but am not up to date on the "meta gaming". The thing is I don't know what decks re big in the tourney and what deck I should try and prepare. I don't have many dual lands and the ones I have are R/G so I want to try and keep it mono colored. I was thinking a burn or Weenie.Please let me know if those are entirely outdated and useless in this tourney or if they are relevasnt and hold a chance. Also any advice would be nice.  
It's difficult to predict a local meta. Will people be copying the top modern decks or will they bring homebrews. I imagine there will be a range of people some playing top decks and others playing budget decks or homebrews.

In addition to that you can see how a deck like second sunrise popped up on the pro tour. Basically it fit into the metagame perfectly but a different week and people might have been playing rest in peace over grafdigger's cage in the sideboard and maybe second sunrise doesn't do so well.

So while it may be difficult to predict the meta for a large regional tournament it's even more difficult to predict the meta for a local scene.

I personally think that a super aggressive mono colored deck might stand a chance in your local meta but that is probably just wishful thinking on my part.
Don't be too smart to have fun
thanks i was thinking that actually. somethingtribal like human knights with o rings and path to exiles or  vamps seem really strong with creature removal and exsanguinate type cards. Or the classic burn with like 8 creatures. i love fire servant ( my favorite card ever) and furnace of rath. easy to build with tons of options.
Super aggressive, not powerful and agressive. Think mono-red aggro. If it's possitioned well it's got a shot, although you're still leaving yourself open. If Sligh/rdw is a thing you've got a decent cardbase for it (with the hasty things at 1, 2 and 3 it'll basically be burn with legs), and affinity/robots could work. Assume there'll be a certain # of 'top decks' (although depending on the area it may be weak pilots copy and pasting decks), some random homebrews and so forth. The other option, is to go combo. Pyromancer's ascention would be my go-to there. It's fast and noninteractive enough that trash.dec won't be able to handle it, and depending on how they make reanimator you should have an edge.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Well my collection is telling me burn with legs. I love fire servant and i know no one uses him because he is expensive in a burn but i love him and he can be the card urn to end it. So I am going with the one mana burn and comet storms, as well as the ball lightnings and hellfires and the like. if i could get my hannds on vexing devil and goblin guide i would be in like flint (oun intended). But anyway i love running cards with protection, stillmoon cavaliers, mirran crusaders, paladin en-vec, swords. cause when oyu have one creature as sturdy as a knight that you cant get rid of they seem to be a problem the entire game. Thanx for the advice and i doubt here in green bay WI there will be too many heavy players. And fpr the affinity what are some key cards because I have tons of good artifacts i love using ie. overseers and  etched champ, not too mention i have evry myr under the sun. just need darksteel reactors and mycosynth golem. 
You still want to play a good deck. Protection is nice, but...

Oh, god, that burn deck is bothering me. Let's talk about it.

No 5 mana spells. None. Not. A. One.

Burn needs to run land light. So does sligh, or rdw (which are three sides to the same notion).

First and foremost, your gameplan is virtual card advantage. Burn (largely) blanks removal. Sligh and rdw declare the first so many turns to be the only ones that matter. As a result they blank any cards that play to the long game. You burn out any blockers they have early on, get througj for your damage and then attack through the blockers once they're big while mopping with burn. You don't play 5 drops because you don't plan on making it to 5 mana, and if you do your hand would be empty. Plus... All those lands could be cards you used to win. That's two incinerates you's rather have.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Makes complete sense. Thanx and I have noticed that the five mana cards never see the light of day in my deck. ill limit it to 3 cmc. and being light on mana doec comet storm have a place then or even fireballs cause they can have a high cost to be halfway useful. and besides pyroclasm or electrickery what about chep mass removal for red cause thats alwaysthe problem especially aggro.
X spells only work if it's a situation where you don't have a static cost card that's better on 3 or maybe 4 lands. If you can deal 3 damage for one or two mana and 4 damage for 3 mana, running enough lands to turn on the value of x spells just means less in the board.

Let's talk about burn first, since it's my least favorite of the three and I've got limited time before this bus ride ends:

With burn, you want to play out your hand so that things end as quickly as possible. If they're playing they might do something cute and if they've got dudes in the red zone you need to kill their face off before the fact that their damage sources untap and yours largely don't kills you.

As such, you have an equation. If you can make any nonland card deal 3, anf idealy see a total of 3 lands, you need 7 cards, that us to say 3 draw steps, to deal 21 damage. The rest is just harsh, cruel, linear math.

Like I said, it's my least favorite of the facemelting decktypes but it certainly does stuff.
76783093 wrote:
As for adding Vexing Devil he is not worth running in RDW I would put Grim Lavamancer over the devil he will be more useful I own a play set of both of the mentioned cards and ran with devil at first but found that if I didn't open with him that he was useless. If you drop him late game they let him resolve because they have an answer for him doing nothing for you. Now droping a lavamancer late game is more useful to help finish the game for you or to help get rid of problematic creatures.
Sign In to post comments