PEACH Warlock|Warlord (Level 7, based on RenZhe's Behind Her Blue Flame)

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Completely rebuilding my Warlock due to some rather dramatic party changes.  The party was formerly a Dwarven Mordenkrad Fighter, a Skald, a Crossbow Artificer going for Spell Commander, a Goblin Ranger, a Genasi Fire Blaster Wizard and my own Fey Pact Warlock (heavily control-focused, aiming for Entrancing Mystic).

Anyway, the Artificer is leaving town and the Skald died and sank into the ocean, to be replaced by (probably) a Headsman's Chop Fighter (a Dwarf if I had to guess).  With both our Leaders gone and with some in-game justification to do so, I'm rebuilding my Warlock into a Warlock|Warlord based on this to take over enabling and healing while still maintaining some striking power.  We get the option of an Expertise as a bonus feat or a Theme and Background (taking the Expertise in a feat-staved Hybrid)  Dropped Sword of Hestaver from RenZhe's build for Imperious Majesty and picked up Superior Will to shake effects and perhaps combo with Dispater's Iron Discipline sometime in Paragon and am now using a Ki Focus for weapliment/expertise issues until Paragon when Sidhe Lord just gets hilarious.  This is the current result:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Fartouch, level 7
Tiefling, Warlock/Warlord
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid) Option: Star Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock Option: Hybrid Warlock Reflex
Warlord Leadership Option: Combat Leader (Hybrid)
Eldritch Strike Option: Eldritch Strike Charisma
Hybrid Warlord Option: Hybrid Warlord Will
Hybrid Talent Option: Warlord Armor Proficiency
Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)
Theme: Elemental Initiate

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 12, DEX 10, INT 19, WIS 12, CHA 19

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 12, DEX 10, INT 16, WIS 12, CHA 16

AC: 22 Fort: 16 Ref: 21 Will: 20
HP: 61 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 15

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +12, Bluff +16, Diplomacy +12, History +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Athletics +2, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +4, Heal +4, Insight +4, Intimidate +9, Nature +4, Perception +4, Religion +7, Stealth +5, Streetwise +7, Thievery +3

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Elemental Initiate Attack: Disciplined Counter
Tiefling Racial Power: Infernal Wrath
Warlock's Curse Power: Warlock's Curse
Warlord Feature: Inspiring Word
Warlord Attack 1: Commander's Strike
Warlock Attack 1: Eldritch Strike
Warlord Attack 1: Vengeance is Mine
Warlord Attack 1: Lamb to the Slaughter
Warlord Attack 1: Powerful Warning
Warlord Utility 2: Encouraging Boost
Warlock Attack 5: Roaring Storm of Cania
Warlock Utility 6: Mirror Darkly
Warlock Attack 7: Touch of Command

FEATS
Level 1: Imperious Majesty
Level 2: Ki Focus Expertise
Level 4: Hybrid Talent
Level 6: Mark of Healing

ITEMS
Amulet of Elegy +2, Acrobat Boots, Bracers of Mental Might, Leather Armor of Dark Majesty +2, 
Circlet of Second Chances, Rapier, Magic Ki Focus +2, Light Shield, Crossbow, Dagger, 
Potion of Clarity (level 5) x2, Potion of Healing, Elixir of Fortitude (level 8)
====== End ======

First version

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Fartouch, level 7
Tiefling, Warlock/Warlord
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid) Option: Star Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock Option: Hybrid Warlock Reflex
Warlord Leadership Option: Combat Leader (Hybrid)
Eldritch Strike Option: Eldritch Strike Charisma
Hybrid Warlord Option: Hybrid Warlord Will
Arcane Implement Proficiency Option: Arcane Implement Proficiency (heavy blade group)
Hybrid Talent Option: Commanding Presence (Hybrid)
Commanding Presence (Hybrid) Option: Inspiring Presence (Hybrid)
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Rod)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 10, DEX 12, INT 19, WIS 12, CHA 19

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 10, DEX 12, INT 16, WIS 12, CHA 16

AC: 21 Fort: 15 Ref: 20 Will: 22
HP: 52 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 13

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +12, Bluff +16, Diplomacy +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Athletics +2, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +3, Heal +4, History +7, Insight +4, Intimidate +9, Nature +4, Perception +4, Religion +7, Stealth +6, Streetwise +7, Thievery +4

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Tiefling Racial Power: Infernal Wrath
Warlock's Curse Power: Warlock's Curse
Warlord Feature: Inspiring Word
Warlord Attack 1: Commander's Strike
Warlock Attack 1: Eldritch Strike
Warlord Attack 1: Vengeance is Mine
Warlord Attack 1: Lamb to the Slaughter
Warlord Attack 1: Powerful Warning
Warlock Utility 2: Ethereal Stride
Warlock Attack 5: Roaring Storm of Cania
Warlord Utility 6: Reorient the Axis
Warlock Attack 7: Touch of Command

FEATS
Level 1: Versatile Expertise
Level 1: Arcane Implement Proficiency
Level 2: Imperious Majesty
Level 4: Hybrid Talent
Level 6: Superior Will

ITEMS
Amulet of Elegy +2, Acrobat Boots, Bracers of Mental Might, Leather Armor of Dark Majesty +2, Magic Longsword +2,
Circlet of Second Chances, Potion of Clarity (level 5) x2, Potion of Healing x1, Elixir of Fortitude (level 8) x1, Crossbow, Dagger x2
====== End ======

I've got enabling coming out the ears now, but I'm wondering if the single Hybrid heal is enough or whether I should grab a Warlord heal utility (or simply ask another party member or two to MC for a 1/day heal, most of their MCs are open).  Dragonmarks are allowed, and so I'm definitely considering Mark of Healing over Superior Will for now.  I'm also a bit concerned over accuracy (does +13 vs AC/+10 vs NADs actually cut it?), but I'm used to max base CHA + Accurate Staff + perma-CA + Prime Shot/Blood Hunt level accuracy, so that might just be culture shock talking definitely just culture shock talking.

Wealth is somewhere between pregen wealth and campaign wealth since I just sold the Warlock equips I couldn't use anymore and used the gold from that and a pile of loot to buy new stuff.  The Amulet of Elegy for example was intended to combo with Entrancing Mystic, but stays because it's better than what half of its cost would buy.
I'm also considering simply writing off my terrible Fortitude Defense completely and just using Elixirs of Fortitude in fights where I expect it to be important (say vs. a Brute Elite).
I don't think you need arcane implement proficiency, due to hybrids being able to use the proficiencies of the other as implements. (correct me if i'm wrong)

Also, Lamb to the slaughter is strength based, so you will run into issues with hitting with it. I would swap it out for a lazylord power.

I don't think you need arcane implement proficiency, due to hybrids being able to use the proficiencies of the other as implements. (correct me if i'm wrong)

Also, Lamb to the slaughter is strength based, so you will run into issues with hitting with it. I would swap it out for a lazylord power.

AIP is to be able to use a Longsword as an implement, so I don't need to maintain two items (though I suppose I could just use a Pact Blade if I could afford that).  Warlock doesn't have great implement proficiencies, just Rod and Staff, while Warlord is Martial and doesn't use implements at all.  I am considering just consolidating into a Staff after Paragon, since the Invoker MC gives Staff Implement Prof and Staff Expertise is silly awesome.

The Bracers of Mental Might let me make a Strength-based attack or check using my Charisma bonus 1/enc, which makes Lamb to the Slaughter the most accurate power I have (+13 vs. Will with the Bracers), since it's presently the only Strength based power I have.  Plenty of MBAs to charge with (both fighters, potentially even the Wizard if he wants to be next to my target to position a blast better)
Ah yes, missed the bracers.
I've been playtesting a few variants of Blue Flame, and I've found that Sword of Hestavar is a little too finicky for people to remember to actually apply the bonus consistently, so putting that off/axing it is not a bad call.

Power choices are basically right on. For utilities, I would highly suggest you pick up Encouraging Boost as your U2 for a second heal because you'll need it as primary party leader, and then grab a warlock U6 (I like Mirror Darkly).

Skip the Hybrid Talent for an expertise feat - you don't need a once/enc presence that bad, and take the theme + background option instead because that's way powerful.
I've been playtesting a few variants of Blue Flame, and I've found that Sword of Hestavar is a little too finicky for people to remember to actually apply the bonus consistently, so putting that off/axing it is not a bad call.

Power choices are basically right on. For utilities, I would highly suggest you pick up Encouraging Boost as your U2 for a second heal because you'll need it as primary party leader, and then grab a warlock U6 (I like Mirror Darkly).

Skip the Hybrid Talent for an expertise feat - you don't need a once/enc presence that bad, and take the theme + background option instead because that's way powerful.

Ahh, I had it to boost Powerful Warning's defense bonus from +2 to +5.  What do you think of taking the Shadow Walk Hybrid Talent with SWA for reasonably-consistent CA?  You lose Inspired Belligerance's massive damage bonus, but potentially gain significant accuracy.

Also, just took a look at the higher level feats.  Going to swap the ability scores in Dex and Con since Imperious Majesty fixes my Initiative to grab that precious 7th surge.
I agree with Ren that a theme and background are worth more than a free feat. Hybrid Talent or Sup Will can wait a level or two.
I agree with Ren that a theme and background are worth more than a free feat. Hybrid Talent or Sup Will can wait a level or two.

Alright, I'll take a gander at the Themes/Background packages.  Haven't looked at them in a few months.

I found out that a good way of getting people to remember was using poker chips. Once I started tossing chips to my fellow players and getting them back when my bonus didn't apply they started paying a lot more attention. I think I play with compulsive gamblers. :P
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Right off the bat the Elemental Initiate theme offers you an implement solution in Ki Focus proficiency.  Even if you go with a different implement later on it's still a damn solid path.

Given you're partial to being on the frontlines, I might also toss out a recommendation  for Battlefront Leader instead of Combat Leader.  That heavy shield it gives could be quite a bit of help.
Powers do look good.

Theme + Background is the way to go.  Auspicious Birth/Born Under a Bad Sign will get you some significant extra hp.  Normally I'd suggest MC Executioner for Ki Focus + 1/enc damage boost + 1 skill + access to Cursed Shadow, and then say to grab a Blazing Arc Ki Focus and take the Infernal Prince Theme.  Since you plan on going MC Invoker for Flame of Hope, I'd say take Elemental Initiate for your theme.  As mentioned by Planeswalker, Ki Focuses are probably the best answer to your weapon/implement split.

For the rest, I'd personally go 20 Cha and take HT: Warlord Armor Proficiencies for chainmail + light sheilds, and rock a rapier while shooting for Deft Blade in Paragon.  Then an expertise, Imperial Majesty, and either Deadly Draw or Hellfire Blood if you did end up with a Blazing Arc Ki Focus.

If you're planning on going Flame of Hope PP, taking the balanced int/cha array might turn out better. I wouldn't worry about to hit so much, since most of your powers are enable powers and you'll be spamming Commander's Strike quite a bit with your standard actions.

Born Under a Bad Sign/Elemental Initiate is definitely a potent package for you right now since it effectively amounts to +10 HP and solves your weapliment issues.

I found out that a good way of getting people to remember was using poker chips. Once I started tossing chips to my fellow players and getting them back when my bonus didn't apply they started paying a lot more attention. I think I play with compulsive gamblers. :P 

Were it a live game, it probably would work out better, but I play a lot of PBP, and its harder to get people to track or care. 
Have you tried pushing Masterplan forward? It seems like a nifty little way of track this stuff, I think it can hand out the Sword of Hestavar bonus automatically.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Right off the bat the Elemental Initiate theme offers you an implement solution in Ki Focus proficiency.  Even if you go with a different implement later on it's still a damn solid path.

Given you're partial to being on the frontlines, I might also toss out a recommendation  for Battlefront Leader instead of Combat Leader.  That heavy shield it gives could be quite a bit of help.

Combat Leader is locked in long term for Combat Commander, since Team PC getting +CHA to initiative is huge.  Can you retrain that?  I'll grab Battlefront for better survivability now if you can retrain that feature though, +2 initiative doesn't come close to +2 AC, +2 Reflex.

Long term though, I'll be grabbing Sidhe Lord theme and using either AIP or Pact Blade Rapiers to fix my Weapliment issues.  Sidhe Bargain is a solid enabling power since it grants a full standard, but mainly it lets me abuse Flame of Hope even harder.

Powers do look good.

Theme + Background is the way to go.  Auspicious Birth/Born Under a Bad Sign will get you some significant extra hp.  Normally I'd suggest MC Executioner for Ki Focus + 1/enc damage boost + 1 skill + access to Cursed Shadow, and then say to grab a Blazing Arc Ki Focus and take the Infernal Prince Theme.  Since you plan on going MC Invoker for Flame of Hope, I'd say take Elemental Initiate for your theme.  As mentioned by Planeswalker, Ki Focuses are probably the best answer to your weapon/implement split.

For the rest, I'd personally go 20 Cha and take HT: Warlord Armor Proficiencies for chainmail + light sheilds, and rock a rapier while shooting for Deft Blade in Paragon.  Then an expertise, Imperial Majesty, and either Deadly Draw or Hellfire Blood if you did end up with a Blazing Arc Ki Focus.

Liking some of the Ki Focuses, Rain of Hammers (minor action Eldritch Strike) and Ghost Mask in particular (why yes, I would like to be damn sure to hit with this, thanks).  I just don't think I'll have the feat space for full Fire op needed to make Blazing Arc really good, but Hellfire Blood is still a point of accuracy on every damaging melee attack, which is still pretty nice.

You're right about Rapiers over Longswords though, they're a better weapon for me due to generally better support options (Deft Blade is awesome, Pact Blade Rapier can buy me a feat).  Not as keen on Chainmail since it's not any better than Leather AC at 8th level with the INT boost, there's absolutely no Warlock support there and I've seen the lost speed matter enough times.  I could take Warlord Armor Prof for Shield since Leather+Shield = Hide AC (while still allowing Armor of Dark Majesty for Plate AC vs. Cursed enemies) and retrain for the Presence once I need it for a powerful rider (say Inspired Belligerance).

Probably going to switch feats up to Versatile Expertise, Imperious Majesty, Mark of Healing, Hybrid Talent (Warlord Armor Prof)

If you're planning on going Flame of Hope PP, taking the balanced int/cha array might turn out better. I wouldn't worry about to hit so much, since most of your powers are enable powers and you'll be spamming Commander's Strike quite a bit with your standard actions.

Born Under a Bad Sign/Elemental Initiate is definitely a potent package for you right now since it effectively amounts to +10 HP and solves your weapliment issues.

Yeah, I've realized that half of my accuracy issue is just me comparing this to the op you do on a Controller/Striker, who basically needs to be hitting on 2s, as opposed to just using the Striker's accuracy op (I've never played a Leadstriker, only Binders and Warlocks).  Definitely taking Born Under a Bad Sign/Elemental Initiate for now for the Ki Focus, but intend to move to Sidhe Lord as early in Paragon as practical (probably move to either a Pact Blade Rapier or just go for the throat and get an AIP'ed Radiant Rapier).