Concede, or Rage-Quit? Bring it here.

84 posts / 0 new
Last post
Figured since so many topics have devolved into the debate between what constitutes a concede or a rage-quit, I figured I would start a thread where all the conversation relative to this topic can be layed out instead of cluttering up other topics.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Mana Leaking a Piledriver is so sweet.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

As an inducer of many, many rage-quits, I can tell you they come in many different and succulent flavours. Here's a few of my favourites I've witnessed.

The Petulance Quit: You Mana Leaked their very favourite Goblin Piledriver on turn 2? Instaquit.
The Pause Quit: Determined not to see the loss screen, yet too mentally slow to find the quit option in time? Pause and quit at lesiure!
The Spite Quit: Cast all their kill spells uselessly and attack with everything, then quit before all their creatures are killed in blocking.
The Shame Quit: Played a Nekrataal in 2HG, yet the only non-Black creature is your partner's Dragonmaster Outcast? Make a sharp exit!
The ADHD Quit: Game taken more than 7 turns? I'm being forced to think rather than just turn all my cards sideways repeatedly? Gone.
The Denial Quit: Opponents finally started a slow but inevitably winning comeback after being on the losing end all match? Quit so you can still claim in your head you would have beat those n00bs if you stuck around, but you had something pressing to do instead, as you had 40 life more than them, so clearly won in all practical terms.
The Rage "Sit": Put the controller down and walk away, forcing your opponent to wait through all your turns because how dare they beat you? Mommy ALWAYS lets me win.

This was a really good and funny read you should do some more.
This was a really good and funny read you should do some more.

Indeed, good job, although I question the existance of the ADHD quit :P

Hooray for the rage sit, that's clearly the most efficient! 
.... or they just ran out of time.

hahaha, yeah, that happens too. :D
Here's one I've been on the end of a fair few times

This happens when you play a card or combo that your opponent just plain doesn't like. Bear in mind that this card/combo may not even be a card/combo that their deck cannot deal with.

I get a irate message from the opponent, usually containing one of the terms above, and then bang, they're gone...

Oh right, killab's thread about piledriver quits comes to mind :D

then being up against 3 Fog Banks.

Reminded me of a pet peeve of mine.
I hate it when I am partnered with a CW deck in 2hg when I'm surfing random and my partner just has to play the Fog Bank even though there is nothing else on the battlefield.

Has to have that action instead of laying back and bluffing a Mana Leak possibility.

Show

The "I'mma n00b" Quit:  When playing Dream Puppets and you equip the Sword of Body and Mind on a creature you Mind Control a turn earlier.  Seen it way too often...
The 'I'm taking you down with me' quit: This is a new one I discovered just last night...was playng 4 player FFA and the PK player to my right (on 20 life still, btw) played both a fiend hunter on my momir vig, and a O-ring on my new fable of wolf and owl. Next turn, I play a slime at the ring, and flash out my pongify at the hunter. Insta-pause...quit out, taking both my permanents with him, right out the game. I know I shouldn't have flashed the pongify with the slime resolving, but nobody had counters, and I was feeling the spectacle was worth more than a 1/1 owl. I was left with a wasted turn and very little board precence, due to this dick...
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Don't a lot of people quit to protect their ranking?  A lot of the higher ranked 1v1 people tend to quit as your swinging for a win.  I assume it's about protecting their win percentages on the network..  If I'm wrong let me know, but it certainly seems that way.

These are instances in which I think it's "OK" to quit..  (1v1 only)

1:  Opponent just put a time warp under a panoptic mirror.  Unless they have the tokens to swing for a win, it could take an exceedingly long time to resolve the win.  They have already won, so I think it's alright to back out and save both players alot of time.

2:  Your opening hand is un-workable garbage..   I don't mean "No phantasm/hedron crab, I quit!"  I mean no lands+high cmc cards, or all lands plus 1 spell thats a late game conditional.  I know this is contraversial, but I'd rather my opponent quit early, and move on than be miserable while they lose slowly for 5 min.  I personally only do this in extremely rare circumstances that revolve around me being in a bad mood to begin with.  If I'm in the mood to rage quit, I usually just finish the game and then stop playing magic for a while.

3:  Their stupid mic is picking up annoying sounds/music..  Can't stand it.  

4:  Your too drunk to play magic, but you thought you could, but actually your way too drunk.  I used to play the 1st duels black out drunk all the time, and sometimes I would play great, other times I would just hit the wrong buttons, and target the wrong permanents..  When I'm playing someone who accidentally targets the wrong permanent with a crucial spell, I think.. rage quit?  And they usually do.  That used to be me many years ago, but now I've quit drinking and tend to make less mistakes.  When you make a mistake, and you realise you did it because your f*****d up it's time to go to bed..  No hard feelings.

No hard feelings, it's just a game, and the goal is to have fun.  Most people who get upset about rage quitting are just ego tripping and want the opponent to stick around for their abusive finale.  What-ever.  I like to stick around because those games you win when all hope is lost are the sweetest.

Rage quits make me smile, and they occasionally make me laugh.  They never make me angry though because I won.
The "Tutor Fail" quit is another one. When someone has some sort of library search option but takes too long to pick their card and ends up with either nothing or something they didn't intend. Closely related to the "tutor fail" quit is the "timer fail" quit, where either by intense analysis and focus, or by distraction, an opponent fails to make a meaningful action on their turn (such as attacking or playing cards) before the timer runs out shoving them into their end step. I've witnessed both of these "fail" quits and they have a distinct but pleasant full bodied taste like a quality Cabernet...
I enjoyed Aaron's response and mostly agree.

In my opinion it's more than acceptable to concede a duel if you know you cannot win. However, quitting on the very last turn or quitting after your opponent counters your "big move" just to spite them; that's rage quitting not conceding, and fairly irritating.

I concede when I draw a hopeless starting hand (after mulliganing two/three times) as there's just no point, the duel will end with you losing and will be pretty boring to boot. I concede if my opponent just gets overwhelming card advantage/creature advantage over me and I know there's nothing in my deck that can deal with it (and it'll take them multiple turns to finish me off).

Really have no issue with people quitting against me either, whether it's for these legitimate reasons or out of rage. With the latter, it just gives me even more pleasure from the win, and with the former I can sympathise with them.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
How about this, quitting when the game was yours for the taking but you were too blinded by rage to see it.

Case in point, and this might belong in the "Dumbest plays you've seen" thread, but what the hey.

Playing 2HG with randoms the other night, I'm running OD, teammate's got DP and we're up against SS and CW. Teammate is milling CW (as you would), & has got it down to 2 cards in the library. We have zero board presence, only 6 life and they've just cast RoR on Deathbringer Liege so it's all over if we don't mill those last couple cards. It's looking like we will, until CW drops Time Reversal and the whole thing starts again. But wait! Teammates' Jaces Erasure puts 7 into CWs graveyard, including Rite of Replication, and then he drops Chancellor of the Spires and begins mass production. 

Cue instant rage quit.

The AI, unencumbered by human stupidity, happily sacs the Pernicious Deed that we'd all forgotten about, wipes the board and seals victory thanks to Blood Artist

Honestly, the win was staring them in the face but the sight of the Chancellor dropping over and over must have convinced them that it was hopeless.  
Hilarious thread. Please though can we not act like we are so ****ing cool that we don't rage quit or whatever?

I'm actually incapable of ragequitting.

Back in DotP'12, I was playing Dark Heavens and I was against Ancient Depths. He Mass Polymorphed all his stuff into, a bunch of other stuff, most notably Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre and Kozilek, Butcher of Truth. I had Faith's Fetters and Murder in my hand so, no problem.

Except that I didn't take the time to properly navigate the number of targets on the board, and managed to hit Kozilek with the Faith's Fetters instead of Ulamog (they were side by side, sue me ). I stopped play and sent him a quick message:

"Yeah, I messed that up, you win this game. : )"

To illustrate the point, I cast Murder on Ulamog, then exited the game.
He sent me a message back saying "lol yeah that sucks dude gg".

So this would be an example of "Concede".
The "Tutor Fail" quit is another one. When someone has some sort of library search option but takes too long to pick their card and ends up with either nothing or something they didn't intend. Closely related to the "tutor fail" quit is the "timer fail" quit, where either by intense analysis and focus, or by distraction, an opponent fails to make a meaningful action on their turn (such as attacking or playing cards) before the timer runs out shoving them into their end step. I've witnessed both of these "fail" quits and they have a distinct but pleasant full bodied taste like a quality Cabernet...

What you call tutor fail is a major flaw in game design and imo it's perfectly fine to get upset about it ruining your game. When something like that happens, where I know the best play but the game messes up or I accidentally press the wrong button, I just quit.

Btw Aaron, conceding a game still counts as a loss afaik. I don't know about pulling the plug though. Another thing I'm not sure about is if the opponent still needs to win the game with AI takeover. In that case it might be better to leave the game in hopeless situations so that the AI can cheat the winning card into it's hand :P 
There's no such thing as quitting.  There's only conceding.  Anyways, I don't rage quit as I'm also incapable.  I simply concede when I feel it's necessary.  I care not at all if any of my opponents concede regardless of how they concede.  There's far more important things for me to care about than some game.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Geg, if memory serves me correctly, Sean addressed that in the past and I believe he said you do not have to continue playing the AI for the win.
A bad thing along these lines is if you're playing 2hg with AI takeover and your partner drops out, you lose, even if you stick it out and win the game with your AI partner.

Show

Hilarious thread. Please though can we not act like we are so ****ing cool that we don't rage quit or whatever?

Back in DotP'12, I was playing Dark Heavens and I was against Ancient Depths. He Mass Polymorphed all his stuff into, a bunch of other stuff, most notably Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre and Kozilek, Butcher of Truth. I had Faith's Fetters and Murder in my hand so, no problem.

Except that I didn't take the time to properly navigate the number of targets on the board, and managed to hit Kozilek with the Faith's Fetters instead of Ulamog (they were side by side, sue me ). I stopped play and sent him a quick message:

Totally feel your pain, the other day I casted on Pongify of a Balefire Liege only to next turn eat 3 damage and quickly realize that I had casted it on a Boros Recruit instead (they were next to each other too lol). /epicfacepalm I too sent him a message saying "LOL targeted the wrong card GG"

Cool story bro. Sad part is there are no murders in dark heaven.Wink
Pretty sure the Cat meant Doom Blade

Show

Also, I had no idea that conceding doesn't affect your leaderboard standings? WTF? Why?

I believe this is only the case on PS3.

At any rate, the answer is "Because Stainless."

It was that way in 2012, so either it's a "feature" (they want immature ranking-obsessed people to be happy and keep spending money on the game) or they're legit incompetent.

I'm leaning toward the former since it's been a known thing since release and they didn't bother fixing it in the Expansion patch.

I’ve removed content from this thread because posting inappropriate content is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code of Conduct here: company.wizards.com/conduct

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.

Cool story bro. Sad part is there are no murders in dark heaven.

You're right. It's been a very long time since I played '12 (and even longer since I played Dark heavens). I also thought it might have been Go For the Throat. Uncharacteristic of me to not look it up. Apologies.

But yeah,  I could kill one and prevent the other from attacking and I prevented the wrong one.

EDIT: And yes, after looking it up, it was Doom Blade, not Murder.

I propose that they make it to where if you quit out before say, 20 turns you lose five ranks. The winner always gets same point (In ps3's case 0 apparently, which is another matter entirely though stupid), and if you stay until the end you lose significantly less.

This is kind of out of spite for the fact I can't rank up (not that I care more than a passing interest about leaderboards) because everyone concedes(ragequits!), which is utterly stupid.
Avenger of Zendikar is not game... Got a question as to whether a card without shroud or hexproof is good? Answer is, dies to removal. "Control Slivers"
It's just part of the human conditioning and evolution that we should care if we're doing better than someone else.
Survival instinct and all.
Even though I know it'a broken and flawed, I still peek in on the leaderboard now and again.

Show

I propose that they make it to where if you quit out before say, 20 turns you lose five ranks. The winner always gets same point (In ps3's case 0 apparently, which is another matter entirely though stupid), and if you stay until the end you lose significantly less.

Your wording here is weird, you seem to be saying that on PS3 if someone concedes the winner gets no points.  This is not true.

You may be confused because a win doesn't always give you any points, though, based on your rank and the difference in your rank and your opponent?

Your wording here is weird, you seem to be saying that on PS3 if someone concedes the winner gets no points.  This is not true.

You may be confused because a win doesn't always give you any points, though, based on your rank and the difference in your rank and your opponent?

That would imply every game I have ever played has been against an opponent who was extremely low in rank. I refuse to believe this.

As for not getting points vs. every real opponent, that is just assinine seeing how you get points from AI in every game, hence the boosters....
Avenger of Zendikar is not game... Got a question as to whether a card without shroud or hexproof is good? Answer is, dies to removal. "Control Slivers"
Wait, playing against the AI increases your 1v1 Rank?  Really?!

Jesus Christ, Stainless.  (Also, source on that?  I've never heard it before.)

I dunno, it seems like at least half the people I play against concede, and yet my rank is very high, so where else am I ranking up from?
Have you seen all the 65000 point people? The way they do it is by, how did the guy put it... Oh right, "Play against AI on low difficulty."

If that is not the dumbest way to do leaderboards ever, idk what is.

This is for 2HG btw. I assume it would be the same if you use custom game in 1v1, but faster if you create an alternate account with two ps3's.
I dunno, it seems like at least half the people I play against concede, and yet my rank is very high, so where else am I ranking up from?

I've never seen any proof that a concession leaves the ranking unaffected. That's probably just a rumor to justify complaints about this habit. I don't know about AI games being factored in either, but the leaderboard is obviously trash anyway. The first spots go to cheaters and the next few to people using the better decks over and over. I always stay away from ranked games wherever I possibly can. The games tend to be more exciting that way and don't get ruined by "ambitions" leading to cheese and abuse.
On Steam, it's absolutely positively undeniable that conceding a game will leave your ranking unlowered.  Since Steam gives you a "points" ranking in addition to a rank (not sure about the consoles, so they might to), it's very easy to see.  Record your points.  Go concede 5 games.  Check again.  No points loss.
Oh I don't claim it leaves it unaffected. I think it does lower the ranking slightly of the conceder. My issue is that it treats it as though I never played the game and therefore points not affected. You know what even though I did a somewhat study on this already, I never wrote anything down. For the next week every game I will check leaderboards to see if I was affected, only by concedes though, and write down my results. Stay tuned!
On Steam, it's absolutely positively undeniable that conceding a game will leave your ranking unlowered.  Since Steam gives you a "points" ranking in addition to a rank (not sure about the consoles, so they might to), it's very easy to see.  Record your points.  Go concede 5 games.  Check again.  No points loss.

Lol well there is that.... Hmm I will try this too, for ps3. xbox any takers?
On 360, anything but winning or drawing the game is counted as a loss.

Concede? Loss.
Dashboard? Loss.
Disconnect? Loss.
Game freezes up? Loss.
Never managed to make it into the game? Loss.
Partner leaves in 2HG? You lose too.

This was confirmed by Wizards_Sean too, so is not just my opinion. Oddly though, a draw counts as a win for both parties.

You can't boost versus AI either, as the leaderboards are only for Ranked, which is stricly human versus human. The only method of AI boosting is found in the utterly pointless Single Player leaderboard. In 1v1, etc, you have to have a human to help so although there are boosters, and they are well known, they're not as ubiquitious as on other platforms (maybe half the top 20, rather than say the entire top 100)

Sadly it works a lot differently for ps3 (I assume the lack of differentiation between ranked and unranked has something to do with it). Sadly I do know boosting against the AI works on ps3, knowing people who have done it. 

I wish it worked like that then maybe we would have a lot less concedes than we do. Do you get granted the win if your opponent concedes?
Yep, as soon as someone else is gifted a loss, you basically win.

So if a game starts and one of your opponents never makes it into the game in 2HG, you can quit youself then and there and you are given a win. Likewise if your partner doesn't make it in, there's nothing you can do to salvage a victory. Even if you win with an AI partner, the other team still gets the victory rank-wise.

We never abuse this except in one circumstance. We've been playing around with the Talrand/Izzet combo recently, and once someone quits due to us getting our combo flowing, we do too. Mainly because our win is no longer really in question, but it'll take a good 5 minutes or more to force victory and it's boring for us and obnoxious for the remaining opponent to expect them to sit through all the Time Warp malarkey.

It's boring to take a pile of extra turns vs. the AI, but okay to do it versus live opponents? Once you get your 'combo flowing', it becomes more like solitaire to me. Do you find this fun? I'm not trolling here, but looking for a serious response. 
Yep, as soon as someone else is gifted a loss, you basically win.

So if a game starts and one of your opponents never makes it into the game in 2HG, you can quit youself then and there and you are given a win. Likewise if your partner doesn't make it in, there's nothing you can do to salvage a victory. Even if you win with an AI partner, the other team still gets the victory rank-wise.

We never abuse this except in one circumstance. We've been playing around with the Talrand/Izzet combo recently, and once someone quits due to us getting our combo flowing, we do too. Mainly because our win is no longer really in question, but it'll take a good 5 minutes or more to force victory and it's boring for us and obnoxious for the remaining opponent to expect them to sit through all the Time Warp malarkey.

Wel my question to, Stainless was it, is why is our ranking system so much different than yours on xbox. Clearly stopping AI boosters is worthy of putting it that way. Though the whole getting into a match in 2HG does sound tedious...
It's boring to take a pile of extra turns vs. the AI, but okay to do it versus live opponents? Once you get your 'combo flowing', it becomes more like solitaire to me. Do you find this fun? I'm not trolling here, but looking for a serious response. 

No, you have the wrong end of the stick here.

Basically, it's boring full-stop. The skill (and fun) is in getting it going. Once it's done, the game is essentially over. What i'm saying is that once one player quits, we have the win in terms of rank. There is still however another human player there. It is now completely pointless to play it out. It's wasting our time and his, so we leave.

Nowhere did I say it was fine versus humans. Quite the reverse actually. The only time we do play it out is if both quit, and then we do it for practice as the AI doesn't mind.

And no, I don't really find it fun. I don't main this combo at all. We've been playing it recently because we saw people resorting to it as the "cheap combo" and we still beat it on a regular basis, so we decided to have a tinker and see if we could truly break it, and to a degree, I think we've vastly improved it over what we used to run into. We're currently playing with it purely for variety, but that's it. I'm sure i'll get bored soon and abandon it.

I kind of see your point, but what I get from it is that this combos wins 10 minutes before it wins. That's why people quit. Again not trolling, just debating.
Tru"Skill" is Microsoft's baby, and it's not going away (360) as far as Duels is concerned (that's what Sean informed me, once).

Disappointing really. 
I kind of see your point, but what I get from it is that this combos wins 10 minutes before it wins. That's why people quit. Again not trolling, just debating.

And again, you're getting the wrong end of the stick. I never said that was an issue. That's a legitimate concession, and we then usually quit in response to save ourselves and the remaining player time as on the 360, the game has already been decided for rank purposes and any further play is simply going through the motions.

I don't see where you're getting the idea that I somehow condoned forcing people to sit through the combo or attacked them for quitting before we did fatal damage, when my entire post was stating the exact opposite.

What I'm getting at is how non-interactive the combo is, and therefore how unfun for both sides once it occurs.

This is not about the timing of your leaving the match at all, but rather a comment on the nature of the combo itself. I guess I didn't make that clear enough.