From Duels to MTGO

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just wanted to take some time to share the experience of a few of my buddies and me getting into Magic for the first time because frankly we're all a bit confused. We've done some google searches and can't really find much in the way of answers of what WotC overall business plan really is.

So there is 5 of us in all and we are all new to the game. We were introduced to Magic through Duels 2013 and all fell in love with this game. It didn't take long before we we're all asking the first question...Why can't we determine how many lands we have in the deck? Why can't we build our own custom deck? etc. So we quickly find through some searching that the plan is for us to be simply introduced to Magic through Duels and then transition to MTGO. Sounds reasonable....until we all downloaded the client and all equally had the same reaction which was of course, "What the F*%#!!" lol I mean, we tried to just deal with it but I don't understand how WotC takes a product like Duels to introduce us to the game and then expects us to go down to a "lesser version" visually speaking as well as ease of use. Yes, you can build your own decks and compete in all these different formats but at the end of the day all 5 of us said, F that! It looks and plays like Sh$#!

Ironically, we've all agreed that we would GLADLY dump our money into this game IF it looked and played just like Duels. I know there's a new beta but it still doesn't come CLOSE to what we've been pampered with in Duels. Not to mention no Mac support?! Kind of strange but whatever.

Just wondering why WotC would feed us a bite of filet mignon to get us to eat their entire 20oz ribeye that's overcooked....

Any hope of us noobs getting a more user friendly, visual appealing MTGO product any time soon??
Welcome to the game.  Not many will argue that the current client isn't quite dated; once you get used to the interface it works quite well, though I too have good friends who simply won't play until a modern interface is available so this topic is near and dear to me.  To that end, the beta of the new client has been undergoing significant improvement with each new build.  I don't think i'm allowed to talk about details from the closed beta which sees each new build a bit earlier, but will say that the latest build is much improved in many areas and is the first one I would consider switching to full time.  Presumably this version will be pushed to the wide beta available to all soon, and improvements are certainly to continue - with recent statements from wotc on these boards regarding work being done on chat systems next on the schedule for example.  They frequently solicit feedback on the new client and i'm happy to say often act on that feedback, even if the pace of development is a bit on the slow side.

Duels looks nice for sure and is a fantastic introduction, but gameplay is soooo limited compared to what you know you need after spending a while with MTGO and better understanding the rules and requirements for the full game and the insane number of possible interactions with something like 10k cards available.  Experienced players would freak out if MTGO played like duels; the gameplay in duels is intentionally VERY limited compared to what is possible with the full application.  You'll get your improved visuals and smooth interface soon enough in MTGO, but don't expect to see gameplay just like duels - ever.  

Good luck and perhaps check back on the wide beta client in a month or two if the current options are unusable for you.  Like i said, i've got several friends who can't get past the old client either, and understand where you are coming from.  You are also of course quite welcome to offer specific feedback on how to improve the beta client on the sticky threads above.  Having been in the beta from fairly early on, it's apparent that they do listen to and consider player feedback.
I just wanted to take some time to share the experience of a few of my buddies and me getting into Magic for the first time because frankly we're all a bit confused. We've done some google searches and can't really find much in the way of answers of what WotC overall business plan really is.

So there is 5 of us in all and we are all new to the game. We were introduced to Magic through Duels 2013 and all fell in love with this game. It didn't take long before we we're all asking the first question...Why can't we determine how many lands we have in the deck? Why can't we build our own custom deck? etc. So we quickly find through some searching that the plan is for us to be simply introduced to Magic through Duels and then transition to MTGO. Sounds reasonable....until we all downloaded the client and all equally had the same reaction which was of course, "What the F*%#!!" lol I mean, we tried to just deal with it but I don't understand how WotC takes a product like Duels to introduce us to the game and then expects us to go down to a "lesser version" visually speaking as well as ease of use. Yes, you can build your own decks and compete in all these different formats but at the end of the day all 5 of us said, F that! It looks and plays like Sh$#!

Ironically, we've all agreed that we would GLADLY dump our money into this game IF it looked and played just like Duels. I know there's a new beta but it still doesn't come CLOSE to what we've been pampered with in Duels. Not to mention no Mac support?! Kind of strange but whatever.

Just wondering why WotC would feed us a bite of filet mignon to get us to eat their entire 20oz ribeye that's overcooked....

Any hope of us noobs getting a more user friendly, visual appealing MTGO product any time soon??

I'm not sure I can add much more to Xarby's response, but yes, welcome to the game and the forums. The transition from Duels to MTGO is a rough step for some people, and it's an aspect of the two games that Wizards wants to work on - the first step in which is getting the new client up to speed where it can meet player expectations. That's a huge part of why, as Xarby said, getting feedback during the Wide Beta is extremely important. I imagine as a newer player coming from Duels, your feedback would be quite different from that of a seasoned MTGO player.

Both perspectives are important, but as a new Magic Online player there are a lot of possibilities for giving feedback that a designer might not have anticipated, and that haven't yet been given by other players. Pop-up tips or tutorials like you get in Duels wouldn't be on a seasoned veteran's wishlist for UI improvements, for instance, but would likely help the situation you and your friends ran into. That's just an example, but like I said you may have ideas unique to your situation.

I'm not trying to blast you with an advertisement for the Wide Beta, but I encourage you to become familiar with it so, at the least, you won't have to adapt when it eventually becomes the primary client for Magic Online.

One other thing about the flow and style of Duels (and I know Xarby touched on this as well) - it works well in the Duels environment where a limited number of complex actions can be performed between cards, but that number isn't anywhere near the level of card interaction you see in Magic Online, where you have nearly every printed card in existence represented for player use. Things can get weird in a way that Duels would have a hard time representing.

The pacing is also different in MTGO, and that's on purpose in order to cope with more advanced play (such as adjusting various stops throughout the turn steps). It's less streamlined, and made to simulate paper Magic (of course you'll also notice that playing paper Magic is different still). The board perspective is laid out in a very straightforward "top-down" way, which is a good example of how visual appeal has to be traded for the sake of visual card comprehension. A card shifted to a 3D perspective is slightly less easy to read. In Duels that's not such a huge problem since you can pause the game and zoom-in, and in the scope of things there are fewer cards in Duels to memorize as they hit the board, so most players eventually recognize them based off which themed deck their opponent is using. Magic Online, however, has a lot of high-level, competitive aspects to it that can't afford to have setbacks in card and battlefield readability.

That's not the entire story, I'll admit, but as my reponse is reaching DontheMage proportions, I'm hitting the submit button. Feel free to direct message me in the forums, or just add me in MTGO as Wizards_Sean if you have questions or want help getting used to things.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Thanks for the replies! I think I understand now why it has to be the way it is. I'll definitely leave some feedback in the stickies though.
Thanks for the replies! I think I understand now why it has to be the way it is. I'll definitely leave some feedback in the stickies though.

Welcome to mtgo.

Xarby and Sean pretty much covered it all so I wont rehash.
What I want to do is thank you Mir_Graggor for posting this issue and for giving feedback.
Its great to get a new person who will post their issue and is willing to give feedback, as this does nothing but help the game over all.
   As Sean already said, if you need help in game, just my screen name, joekewwl, and pm me on the boards or in game.

There are a good many fo us who posts on the boards that have been around fromt he start of beta and are will ing to help anyone who needs it. Dont be afraid to ask for help or any question you have.
-Joe  

Let Wotc know that Standard Pauper needs in game support! WoTc does listen! HERE

BETA BOARDS Moderator

Want to know about the next Magic Online Player Run Events? Then click the link and check it out!

Making MTGO a better place by BETA testing!

How to apply for beta

Community Cup Player 2011

That's not the entire story, I'll admit, but as my reponse is reaching DontheMage proportions, I'm hitting the submit button.

Funny. Cool
I found playing Duels a little harder in some respects. (for example in MTGO outside of "misclicks" I never miss the opportunity to giant growth my grizzly bear in duels without tweaking the settings, I always miss the "after blockers before damage" step.

I do wish there was MTGO for iOS or Kindle Fire. That would really sway me on getting a tablet and killing my computer completely.

As for where to start, I suggest you and your friends join the world of Pauper, decks are cheap (with the highest end coming in at around 70 dollars a deck) it is by far the cheapest competitive format to get into and I've found it very easy to jump into casual games or tournaments in. Since the cards are commons, most of the cards are easier to understand (that isn't to say there are no powerful decks..but the format is the best supported eternal format on MTGO right now).  
Geek Lifestyle Blog: Watch Play Read Twitter
I'm a Duels player that also transitioned to MTGO in May; but the interface issue was so bad that I didn't even open the program again until yesterday.  And while I agree with almost all of the original post, I will say that since I've actually started playing yesterday in draft events, I think MTGO is outstanding.  I had never played in a draft event until yesterday but now I am entirely addicted to it.  But the interface has got to be easier to use.  I lost a couple of games in the draft event entirely due to not knowing how the interface worked (including hitting 'concede match' instead of 'concede game' - lol - but the player that I did that against was VERY helpful in answering some of my questions).  

The learning curve is steep for the interface, and I find it surprising that the entry barrier is this high to new players.  But it is definitely worth it to me now.

I have a couple of random questions that I couldn't find the answer to elsewhere if someone wouldn't mind responding:

1. I noticed today that I have a Shards of Alaria Block Booster Pack (Premium Foil) in my deck collection.  I definitely did not buy this, and while I won a few RTR booster packs in the draft events I played in yesterday and today, I did not see any prize related to Shards of Alaria.   Also, I'm pretty sure it wasn't in my collection yesterday, although I guess I could have overlooked it.  So:
--how did I get this?
--should I open it?  I was told I shouldn't open RTR boosters since they are draft entry requirements, and that makes sense, but how would I use this pack?  I only own RTR cards, a few M12 cards from when I bought this in May, and a few Innistrad cards
--how can I get more?  they aren't on sale in the store as far as I can tell

2. Is there any way to delete the DPA cards from your card collection since they are unusable in regular play?  I haven't built my own decks yet but when I try, the existence of these cards is annoying.  

3. When I switch the card view to only show cards in the Standard format, M12 cards show up.  I was under the impression that Standard only allowed M13 cards.  Is this correct, and if it is, how do I excluded M12 cards from the showing up if I want to make a constructed standard deck?

I'm a Duels player that also transitioned to MTGO in May; but the interface issue was so bad that I didn't even open the program again until yesterday.  And while I agree with almost all of the original post, I will say that since I've actually started playing yesterday in draft events, I think MTGO is outstanding.  I had never played in a draft event until yesterday but now I am entirely addicted to it.  But the interface has got to be easier to use.  I lost a couple of games in the draft event entirely due to not knowing how the interface worked (including hitting 'concede match' instead of 'concede game' - lol - but the player that I did that against was VERY helpful in answering some of my questions).  

The learning curve is steep for the interface, and I find it surprising that the entry barrier is this high to new players.  But it is definitely worth it to me now.

I have a couple of random questions that I couldn't find the answer to elsewhere if someone wouldn't mind responding:

1. I noticed today that I have a Shards of Alaria Block Booster Pack (Premium Foil) in my deck collection.  I definitely did not buy this, and while I won a few RTR booster packs in the draft events I played in yesterday and today, I did not see any prize related to Shards of Alaria.   Also, I'm pretty sure it wasn't in my collection yesterday, although I guess I could have overlooked it.  So:
--how did I get this?
--should I open it?  I was told I shouldn't open RTR boosters since they are draft entry requirements, and that makes sense, but how would I use this pack?  I only own RTR cards, a few M12 cards from when I bought this in May, and a few Innistrad cards
--how can I get more?  they aren't on sale in the store as far as I can tell

2. Is there any way to delete the DPA cards from your card collection since they are unusable in regular play?  I haven't built my own decks yet but when I try, the existence of these cards is annoying.  

3. When I switch the card view to only show cards in the Standard format, M12 cards show up.  I was under the impression that Standard only allowed M13 cards.  Is this correct, and if it is, how do I excluded M12 cards from the showing up if I want to make a constructed standard deck?

In Re the Pack of Alara: This is most likely a residual from the 10th anniversary gifts given to us all. You probably didn't notice it since it was given out after you last signed in (in May).

Winter.Wolf (ugh at this new forum with the ridiculous double login)

When I switch the card view to only show cards in the Standard format, M12 cards show up. I was under the impression that Standard only allowed M13 cards. Is this correct, and if it is, how do I excluded M12 cards from the showing up if I want to make a constructed standard deck?

I think you are just seeing the cards from M12 that were reprinted in a Standard legal set such as Acidic Slime and Cancel.
When I switch the card view to only show cards in the Standard format, M12 cards show up. I was under the impression that Standard only allowed M13 cards. Is this correct, and if it is, how do I excluded M12 cards from the showing up if I want to make a constructed standard deck?

I think you are just seeing the cards from M12 that were reprinted in a Standard legal set such as Acidic Slime and Cancel.

To elaborate.

Legality goes by card name rather than strictly by set.  So, all M13 cards are standard legal.  Within that subset of Magic cards, there is a card named Acidic Slime.  Because the slime is a M13 card, it will be standard legal.  This doesn't mean only acidic slimes from M13 are standard legal, though.  It means that any card with the name "acidic slime" is standard legal, no matter what set it was technically printed in.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
If you contact CS they can delete the DPA cards frim your account.

Compared to Duels, the interface will always look dated. The current beta is miles ahead of the abomination that is V3, but visually, it's not nearly as spicy. It can't really be though. Duels is stripped down. A smaller playing field that plays out Magic more like an action-based visual cardspectacle. You'd grow nuts doing that for hours. There are a lot of things they have to change to make it feel like a 2012 product and I don't think this beta is ever going to get there at the right they're changing things, but your expectations are probably too high if you want it to look like Duels. MTGO does far more than Duels ever will and it simply cannot look the same or even similar to it.

In the end, I don't think MTGO beta is nearly as clunky as V3 was and it's quite usable. Just give it a shot and within a day or so you'll be completely used to the interface. It's not as bad as you and your friends make it out to be.

But yeah, start with the beta, because the live client is horrible and should never have been made (the version before that looked and played way better than it)
I agree that MTGO should be more like Duels of the Planeswalkers in terms of the in-game interface.

I realize that Duels needs to be MODIFIED appropriately to allow extra steps and extra complexities, but why cannot the hard work be done to achieve this?  I believe that the vast majority of players would appreciate a userface similar to Duels.

The argument that we keep hearing "Duels is too simple for MTGO" is not valid, because appropriate modifications can be made to Duels to make it capable of achieving all the MTGO does.  I am so sad that we are still presented with a highly outdated UI (even in Beta) which makes the in-duel gaming experience so much poorer than in Duels.

I strongly plead that in the version after BETA, Wizards give serious thought to putting in the effort necessary to bring the in-duel game experience to the level of Duels.

MTGO currently is OK, but it could be AMAZING if the Duels interface were adopted, and it is sad that it MTGO is simply OK. 
It is really just a matter of getting used to the client. I transitioned from Duels a year ago. After a couple of months, it was fine. They do make it quite difficult on new players since there are no clear tutorials or guides. They certainly could spice it up a little bit though. The Beta seems a little cold to me even though it is approaching being playable.
I believe that the vast majority of players would appreciate a userface [sic] similar to Duels.

No, no, no, a thousand times no!  Even the sound effects (and to a smaller degree the foil animations) quickly grew annoying and are now disabled in my client.  I don't want cartoon-like animations for every card interaction and effect.

Stick with Duels if you want a video game like experience.  MtGO Online  playes similar to the paper version, but frees you from the tedious aspects of paper like shuffling, clearing table space, record keeping for counters, life totals, etc.

This space intentionally left blank.

I agree with major_havoc here. If you like something that doesn't mean than "a vast majority" likes something.
While I see where the OP is coming from, having recently come to MtGO myself after a hiatus from the paper game, I don't want MtGO to be like Duels.  I want MtGO to mimic paper as closely as possible while getting rid of a lot of the tedious things that major_havoc mentioned.  I've come to MtGO because I want to play and have a chance to compete in a way that is convenient for me. 

I DO think the Beta client has a lot of room for improvement, especially in the new player aspects and the social aspects however.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

I too have been playing MTGO after being seduced by Duels. 

The fact is, even the Beta client, which I'm using, has a horrible interface and even looks like it's from about 1995 in terms of design. You could keep the basic gameplay, maintaining all the control that is key to MTGO, and update/streamline things, but apparently they believe that klunky interface and extremely dated graphical elements are key to their business model. I guess it's part of the charm. 

What IS unforgivable, in my opinion, is that there is no centralized Beginner's Guide to MTGO. An illustrated guide to people who want to play and give Wizards their money. You are left on your own to figure everything out. I had to search and gain hints from third-party fans to figure out how to play. Wizards offers basically no help of their own. I still haven't ventured into drafting online because I don't want to screw it up and inconvenience everybody else. The Holiday Cube looks cool, but extensive Googling has left me with precious little idea of how to actually access and play it. This boggles the mind. 

You would figure that Wizards would offer an easy-to-find, easy-to-understand guide to using their product, if not out of common courtesy then from the profit motive. 

The fact that something like this doesn't exist means that the businesss development people should be fired, no offense, and replaced with people less incompetent.

The fact is, even the Beta client, which I'm using, has a horrible interface and even looks like it's from about 1995 in terms of design. You could keep the basic gameplay, maintaining all the control that is key to MTGO, and update/streamline things, but apparently they believe that klunky interface and extremely dated graphical elements are key to their business model. I guess it's part of the charm. 

What IS unforgivable, in my opinion, is that there is no centralized Beginner's Guide to MTGO. An illustrated guide to people who want to play and give Wizards their money. You are left on your own to figure everything out. I had to search and gain hints from third-party fans to figure out how to play. Wizards offers basically no help of their own. I still haven't ventured into drafting online because I don't want to screw it up and inconvenience everybody else. The Holiday Cube looks cool, but extensive Googling has left me with precious little idea of how to actually access and play it. This boggles the mind. 

You would figure that Wizards would offer an easy-to-find, easy-to-understand guide to using their product, if not out of common courtesy then from the profit motive. 

The fact that something like this doesn't exist means that the businesss development people should be fired, no offense, and replaced with people less incompetent.

I agree about the beginners guide. As for your first, paragraph, that's very easy to say. On the basis of the examples you provide, it's also very easy for me to say that I don't agree. What do you miss, animated introduction sequences?

What exactly is wrong with the design? What would you do differently? What functionality do you miss? Please think about it, and then post your suggestions in the stickied threads above.

Go draft, young man, go draft!

I agree about the beginners guide. As for your first, paragraph, that's very easy to say. On the basis of the examples you provide, it's also very easy for me to say that I don't agree. What do you miss, animated introduction sequences?

What exactly is wrong with the design? What would you do differently? What functionality do you miss? Please think about it, and then post your suggestions in the stickied threads above.

This.

The beginner experience is really important and the MTGO team knows it needs work. There are little things gradually being introduced to the new client that improve on that experience and make the interface more intuitive, but ultimately more will be needed to assist new players and those crossing over from Duels. It's just a matter of time.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

I'm glad you are at least aware of the problem. 

What needs immediate work isn't the client, but a Beginner's Guide, copiously illustrated with screen shots, on the web. And this web page should be incredibly easy to find.

Really, something basic would be better than the nothing that is currently out there, and something basic shouldn't take all that many days for an intern or someone to put up.

I'm sorry for my earlier intemperate post, but really this is the kind of thing that any company whatsoever would think of at the very beginning and put at least token resources into. Like I said, even the pure profit motive should make this a no-brainer. Make it easier for people to use your product and give you money!

Here are some points I've already submitted via the form:

Just lots of things that could be streamlined with no loss of functionality. For example, in the current meta there are tons of dual lands. I agree that it is key to determine manually which lands should be tapped for mana, but when tapping dual lands for colorless mana, it still makes you pick a color. When tapping 5-10 different kinds of lands per spell, this gets tedious quick. And there is no need. Just have an option to click on each land once for colorless mana, and it doesn't matter which color it is. If you are casting one of the 0.1% of spells in which it does matter, you can still use the option to select color manually. 

Just yesterday I ended up drawing a card with a 3 CMC miracle cost on my first turn. The program asked me if I wanted to cast it for miracle cost, despite the fact that it "knew" I had zero access to mana. Why?

When putting cards on the bottom of your library, the program asks you to order your cards. It still asks you to order your cards if you are only putting one card at the bottom of your library. Or if you are putting two identical cards on the bottom. Why? It's senseless. 

Things like this.

What needs immediate work isn't the client, but a Beginner's Guide, copiously illustrated with screen shots, on the web. And this web page should be incredibly easy to find.

Really, something basic would be better than the nothing that is currently out there, and something basic shouldn't take all that many days for an intern or someone to put up.

I'm sorry for my earlier intemperate post, but really this is the kind of thing that any company whatsoever would think of at the very beginning and put at least token resources into. Like I said, even the pure profit motive should make this a no-brainer. Make it easier for people to use your product and give you money!

There are guides in the new player section of the forum. Plus a beginers FAQ.
That said they are not easy to find from the mtgo download page, and they are player created. But seeing as every other game I play I use user created guides on the games main/official forum its not a unique set up.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

There are guides in the new player section of the forum. Plus a beginers FAQ.
That said they are not easy to find from the mtgo download page, and they are player created. But seeing as every other game I play I use user created guides on the games main/official forum its not a unique set up.

Yeah, I found those too, as well as other guides on MTGsalvation etc. But user-created forum guides are far from ideal for something so complex. For a multi-million dollar company, it's a joke. 

Things like this.

Also...When you Farseek a shockland, it asks you every time whether or not you wish to sacrifice two life, even though doing so will not result in the land coming onto the field untapped. 

Every single time the designers have an option to require meaningless, tedious, 1000%-unnecessary button presses, they said, "Yes, let's do that! Not making the user press a meaningless button every single time would detract from our crappy-UI branding!"
Also...When you Farseek a shockland, it asks you every time whether or not you wish to sacrifice two life, even though doing so will not result in the land coming onto the field untapped.

You could be playing a deck where you would want to lose the two life and would answer "Yes" to that prompt. While the land would still be tapped, you'd be down the two life you wanted to lose.

You could be playing a deck where you would want to lose the two life and would answer "Yes" to that prompt. While the land would still be tapped, you'd be down the two life you wanted to lose.

Ive done that to trigger fateful hour to win with Thraben Doomsayer

Winter.Wolf (ugh at this new forum with the ridiculous double login)

...When you Farseek a shockland, it asks you every time whether or not you wish to sacrifice two life, even though doing so will not result in the land coming onto the field untapped. 

Every single time the designers have an option to require meaningless, tedious, 1000%-unnecessary button presses...

The complexity and wide variety of strategies available is what attracts many people to Magic.  It is also what keeps many people away from Magic.  No game is suitable for every player.

It is critical the game engine NOT make decisions for you.  Part of the strategy with Magic can involve manipulating your life total.  Often you have a choice, and making the wrong choice makes it more likely you will lose the game.  To have the game engine decide when some decisions don't matter would be a huge programming problem.  The engine would have to know every possible strategy, look at the cards in your deck, etc.

If the clicking is too tedious for you, perhaps there are options available to change your experience rather than changing everyone's experience?  A different mouse/monitor/keyboard/computer?  Learn the Function key shortcuts as listed in the FAQ?

This space intentionally left blank.

Ive done that to trigger fateful hour to win with Thraben Doomsayer

OK, it appears I was wrong about this one.
Sign In to post comments