Return to Ravnica: returning mechanics contest, part 2 A Splice of Life

38 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey hey Planeswalkers and Planeswalkettes, its time for round 2!

If you're just joining us, here's the skinny. Mark Rosewater did a mailbag column where he listed which mechanics the guilds would have gotten if they had returning mechanics in RTR block. We're designing those mechanics.

Part 1 had us testing the waters giving Selesnya "Affinity for Creatures"

Part 2, we will give the Izzet "Splice onto Instant"

For those not familiar with how splice works, it's an ability that shows up on Instants and Sorceries, and whenever you cast an instant or sorcery of a particular quality (originally the subtype Arcane, this time Instants as a whole) you could reveal an instant or sorcery from your hand with Splice, pay a cost, and add that card's effects to the spell you just cast.

RULES
1. You have two days to design a card that makes use of Splice onto Instant.
2. The card itself does not have to have splice, but it must at least care about it (such as a card that triggers when you splice).
3. The card cannot be black, white, or green. Red, blue and colorless only.
4. It does not have to be multicolored.
5. The card should feel sufficiently Izzet.
6. You may change your design any time  before the submission deadline is up.

Good luck and may the best mad scientist win!!!
Burst of Insight
Instant
Splice onto Instant (As you cast an Instant spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card’s effects to that spell.)
Reveal the top card of your library. If it’s an instant, you may cast it without paying its mana cost. If it’s not, put it on the bottom of your library.

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

Errant of Niv |
Instant Creature -- Faerie Soldier
Flash
Flying
~ deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
If ~ is a permanent type, it resolves to the battlefield, and as it enters the battlefield, it isn't an instant.
Splice onto Instant
2/1

Ridiculously Pedantic Sidenote...you've been warned
(Sidenote: Should the ability be "Splice onto instant" rather than "Splice onto Instant?")

A note about how this card functions
These abilities are gained by the instant to which it gets spliced:
Flash
Flying
If ~ is a permanent type, it resolves to the battlefield, and as it enters the battlefield, it isn't an instant.
Splice onto Instant

(Interesting Aside: Splice itself gets spliced onto a spell, so you could technically make a card that cares about whether spells on the stack have Splice, and any spell that's had something spliced onto it has Splice.  OK, done.)

It has those abilities for as long as the instant is on the stack, and no longer (spliced abilities only exist on the stack).

So, generally speaking, the only actual ability that's relevent is:

That's intended.  It won't turn your other instant into a creature.

(Also an Interesting Aside: Splice in the rules today is allowed to occur only paired with a subtype, not a type.)

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Huh...one of the few guilds I HADN'T formulated an entry for.  I decided to make the Splice cost a little more than the CMC, but have additional effects (includinng Overload) kick in.  Here goes...

Experimental Hydroburn

{Picture is water setting fire to a lab, the product of an experiment gone horribly awry}

Instant

Tap two target creatures that share a controller 

Splice onto instant (As you cast another Instant spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card’s effects to that spell)

If Experimental Hydroburn was spliced onto an instant, that spell deals 3 damage to those creatures’ controller (in addition to its other effects), and you may treat the instant as if its Overload cost was paid.
Inspiration

Instant

Draw a card

Splice onto instant

Among the Izzet, anything can trip their minds toward something else.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Worldstorm
Instant
(Nonexistent mana costs can't be paid.)
Storm
Splice onto Instant
"Who says lightning never strikes the same place twice? And why limit yourself to just twice?"Bori Andon, Izzet blastseeker

Color Indicator: Blue, Red
Won a TPmanW contest with Demonic Arbitrator. (see below) My username is a simple continued fraction. Look it up. My favorite cards I've made:
Show
Æther Rider Creatuere - Spirit (U) Vanishing 0 (This permanent enters the battlefield with zero time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.) Flying : Put a time counter on ~. Any player may activate this ability. It comes on the wind, from realms unknown. 2/2 Kaldurian Behemoth Creature - Beast (R) Mana produced by lands may not be used to pay ~'s mana cost. Trample On Kalduria, the beasts are too good to eat common grass. 10/10 Demonic Arbitrator Sorcery Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of life. If any player paid life, repeat this process. If a player paid more life in total than any other, that player searches his or her library for a card and puts that card into his or her hand. Then that player shuffles his or her library. "Your sacrifice has been judged worthy. What power do you require?"
Brilliance |
Instant
Brilliance can't be countered.
Brilliance does 1 damage to each player.
Splice onto Instant  

Show
nevermind; thanks, FirstTurnKill!
Achievist's Records -
Sorcery
Return target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand.
If ~ is spliced onto an instant, its effect becomes "Draw a card" instead.
Splice onto instant - ()

Work on this later.
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Show
if it referred to itself by name, it wouldn't be able to transfer uncounterability onto the other spell with splicing. An alternative, uglier version:

Brilliance |
Instant
Brilliance and spells Brilliance is spliced onto can't be countered.
Brilliance does 1 damage to each player.
Splice onto Instant :urm:

Show
Yes it would.  Whenever its own cardname appears on a card, it is always a self-reference.  If you transfer "Brilliance can't be countered" to another card, the word "Brilliance" changes to the name of that card.

In fact, when you Splice "Brilliance does 1 damage to each player" onto another spell, that spell replaces the self reference with its own cardname and become the source of the damage.  There's even a rule just to let you know!

201.4b If an ability of an object refers to that object by name, and an object with a different name gains that ability, each instance of the first name in the gained ability that refers to the first object by name should be treated as the second name.
Example: Glacial Ray is an instant with "splice onto Arcane" that says "Glacial Ray deals 2 damage to target creature or player." If it's spliced onto a Kodama's Reach, that Kodama's Reach deals 2 damage to the target creature or player.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
It is surprisingly hard to come up with cool, flashy things to do with Splice onto Instant.  This is the craziest I could think of:

Feedback Loop
Instant

When you cast ~, you may flip a coin.  If you win the flip, copy this card and cast the copy without paying its mana cost.  If you lose the flip, counter all spells with the same name as ~.
~ deals 1 damage to each player.

Splice onto Instant  

no room for flavor text.  if there were it would be:  Sometimes, it does nothing.  Sometimes, it makes spells multiply in a chaos of infinite possibilities.  Every time, it explodes.

[edit] now does something different but more reasonable.  'copy' is used one fewer times, 'target' two.  alas.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Entry:

Arcane Amplification

Instant
Splice onto instant  (As you cast another Instant spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card’s effects to that spell)

If this spell would cause a player to draw cards, that player draws twice that many cards instead.
If this spell would deal damage to a creature or player, double that damage. 

Synergistic cards:

Glimpse at the future

Instant
Target player draws a card
Splice onto instant 

Scorch the past

Instant
Deal 2 damage to target creature.
Splice onto instant 

[spoiler kinda surprise this name hasn't been taken]Arcane Missile
Instant
~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player for each spell on the stack.
Splice onto Instant [/spoiler]

Recursive Denial
Instant
Each player returns a spell he or she controls to its owners' hand. You discard a card.
Splice onto Instant

trying to mimic remand and forbid. shouldn't be too broken right?

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I had a friend who quit when his skeleton got flanked

Illuminate
Instant Arcane
Splice onto instant
look at target players hand
~"People who live in Glass Houses shouldn't throw stones"
NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

Brilliant Awakening -
Instant
Shuffle your hand into your library, then draw that many cards. Then you may copy this spell if you cast it from your hand.
Splice onto instant
"Eureka!" - Izzet Scientist
Vanish Into Aether -
Instant
When a player casts an instant, you may reveal this card from your hand. If you do, add this card’s effects to that spell unless that spell's controller pays .
The next time a permanent would leave play this turn, instead put that permanent on top of its owner's library.

The card has lots of hidden options, but it's mainly for your opponent's removal spells!
Minor Experiment-
Instant
Flip a coin. If it comes up heads, ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player. If it comes up tails, draw a card.
Splice onto Instant
"I think I'm ready to try something... bigger." -Last words of Zabra, Izzet apprentice.
Experimental Chamber
Enchantment
Whenever you splice onto an instant, you may pay . If you do, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
"Wonder if the multiplied spells retain attributes gained by reagents... only one way to find out."

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Brainboil

Instant
Splice onto instant −  (As you cast another Instant spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card’s effects to that spell.) 
Draw a card. This card deals 2 damage to you.
"That idea is shocking." 
Reconsider
Instant
Return ~ to its owner's hand.
Splice onto Instant

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Reality Fissure

Enchantment
Uncommon
Whenever you splice a spell, Reality Fissure deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
The standard Izzet testing model is to push an experiment until there is an unplanned explosion, anything less than that isn't trying hard enough.    

Can't forget to design for my own contest <_<

And with that, the entry period is over!

Now we begin the voting.

The way I do things is I split between the JUDGE'S VOTE (chosen by me) and the PEOPLE'S VOTE (chosen by you).

VOTING RULES
1. You have two days to pick your favorite entry.
2. You may vote ONCE and only once.
3. You may change your vote any number of times before the voting period is over.

Besides that, you are heavily encouraged to critique the entries; let the creators know what you feel they did well or how they can improve.
At the end of two days, I will tally the votes and declare our winners (who will receive a grand prize of BRAGGING RIGHTS)

Good luck!
Many cards have pretty strange flavor, some of them don't even work, and where's the elegance? I'm afraid that I'll have to choose Mown, even though I don't like the pseudo-Shrieking Drake storm enabler and even though the card would make a lot more sense as enchantment.. Anyway, it's a clever idea! ^.^

I vote for Mown.
I like Brilliance the best, as this seems like the best way to do counter-hate. Putting it on lands always seemed like a hack, but this seems like what splice was made to do: make your spell better by adding another effect onto it. The one damage seems random and unnecessary, but whatever. I vote for TherealphaMatt.
Won a TPmanW contest with Demonic Arbitrator. (see below) My username is a simple continued fraction. Look it up. My favorite cards I've made:
Show
Æther Rider Creatuere - Spirit (U) Vanishing 0 (This permanent enters the battlefield with zero time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.) Flying : Put a time counter on ~. Any player may activate this ability. It comes on the wind, from realms unknown. 2/2 Kaldurian Behemoth Creature - Beast (R) Mana produced by lands may not be used to pay ~'s mana cost. Trample On Kalduria, the beasts are too good to eat common grass. 10/10 Demonic Arbitrator Sorcery Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of life. If any player paid life, repeat this process. If a player paid more life in total than any other, that player searches his or her library for a card and puts that card into his or her hand. Then that player shuffles his or her library. "Your sacrifice has been judged worthy. What power do you require?"
I like Brilliance the best, as this seems like the best way to do counter-hate. Putting it on lands always seemed like a hack, but this seems like what splice was made to do: make your spell better by adding another effect onto it. The one damage seems random and unnecessary, but whatever. I vote for TherealphaMatt.

I blush. The 1 damage mostly came from me not wanting to have a spell that just did nothing (as attracted as I am to such a wonky thing, there's no good reason for it), but also so that there'd be a bit of a "drawback" to casting the spell; you can't fling the thing around recklessly or your life will take quite the hit (of course, so will theirs, which is better for some decks).

I vote for Mown. His spell is really neat (though the unspliced spell kind of falls into the "this is obviously only supposed to ever be spliced" category). 
I'm also going to vote for TherealphatMatt. The 1 damage is actually what makes the spell interesting I think. Splice can be a difficult mechanic to get right, so I prefer simpler concepts. Bay, Fenix and HairlessThoctar's designs were all considered for their elegance and playability, but once I realised that can't be countered transferred, it pushed Brilliance to the top.
Voting for 3-7-15-1-292

Some comments:
Burst of Insight is without doubt OP, given Blue's ability to easily stack the top of their library.  I mean, check this out...Mystical Tutor+spliced Burst of Insight for = game over, man.

Experimental Hydroburn doesn't work.  It needs to say, "if abilities or effects are spliced onto Experimental Hydroburn, [...]" -- because when you splice Experimental Hydroburn onto another card, that's the ability it's going to *get* and the CARDNAME references will change to the new card.

Inspiration?  Would be totally meta if you named it "Cantrip" instead.

Worldstorm is...alright, I don't want to play this game anymore.

Brilliance

But I think it's splice is slightly undercosted and would be better if either the damage were one-sided against you or the damage were removed and the splice cost was bumped up by .  Unless you're playing against discard, it's a non-removable enchantment that says all your instants can't be countered.

Achievist's Records have the same problem as Experimental Hydroburn above.  Beyond that, it seems a bit undercosted.

Feedback Loop is impressive.  Knowing that Splice is itself a copy effect allows the copies of the spell that Feedback Loop is spliced onto to retain the spliced ability.  However, Gambler's Fallacy makes it a nearly useless thing to have until you copy it onto something that can't be countered.

I like how it's cheaper to splice Scorch the Past onto Arcane Amplification than the other way around.  There could be some issues with it being hybrid rather than gold, though.

Recursive Denial splices itself onto Tolarian Academy decks.

Illuminate is actually pretty simple and elegant.  I would almost say it could have a splice cost of .

Brilliant Awakening is a solid design.  I like the extra copy clause.

Vanish into Aether is making me think really hard about how to break it.  Definitely a great Johnny card.

Minor Experiment could probably deal 2 damage on a heads.

Experimental Chamber is awesome in a Riku of Two Reflections EDH.

Brainboil...hmmmm.....is that almost a not broken Yawgmoth's Bargain?

Reconsider lets your spells resolve to your hand.  Another card for the Academy.

Reality Fissure is something I think I would prefer to see on a creature personally.  Like Guttersnipe and Goblin Electromancer.

OK, so I guess by "some comments" I accidentally everybody.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
Hey FirstTurnKill, thanks for the vote. Could you elaborate on why you liked it? I don't know what you mean by "Worldstorm is...alright, I don't want to play this game anymore."
Show
Voting for 3-7-15-1-292

Some comments:
Burst of Insight is without doubt OP, given Blue's ability to easily stack the top of their library.  I mean, check this out...Mystical Tutor+spliced Burst of Insight for = game over, man.

Experimental Hydroburn doesn't work.  It needs to say, "if abilities or effects are spliced onto Experimental Hydroburn, [...]" -- because when you splice Experimental Hydroburn onto another card, that's the ability it's going to *get* and the CARDNAME references will change to the new card.

Inspiration?  Would be totally meta if you named it "Cantrip" instead.

Worldstorm is...alright, I don't want to play this game anymore.

Brilliance

But I think it's splice is slightly undercosted and would be better if either the damage were one-sided against you or the damage were removed and the splice cost was bumped up by .  Unless you're playing against discard, it's a non-removable enchantment that says all your instants can't be countered.

Achievist's Records have the same problem as Experimental Hydroburn above.  Beyond that, it seems a bit undercosted.

Feedback Loop is impressive.  Knowing that Splice is itself a copy effect allows the copies of the spell that Feedback Loop is spliced onto to retain the spliced ability.  However, Gambler's Fallacy makes it a nearly useless thing to have until you copy it onto something that can't be countered.

I like how it's cheaper to splice Scorch the Past onto Arcane Amplification than the other way around.  There could be some issues with it being hybrid rather than gold, though.

Recursive Denial splices itself onto Tolarian Academy decks.

Illuminate is actually pretty simple and elegant.  I would almost say it could have a splice cost of .

Brilliant Awakening is a solid design.  I like the extra copy clause.

Vanish into Aether is making me think really hard about how to break it.  Definitely a great Johnny card.

Minor Experiment could probably deal 2 damage on a heads.

Experimental Chamber is awesome in a Riku of Two Reflections EDH.

Brainboil...hmmmm.....is that almost a not broken Yawgmoth's Bargain?

Reconsider lets your spells resolve to your hand.  Another card for the Academy.

Reality Fissure is something I think I would prefer to see on a creature personally.  Like Guttersnipe and Goblin Electromancer.

OK, so I guess by "some comments" I accidentally everybody.

Sorry, FirstTurnKill, but Experimental Hydroburn does too work.  Look at the wording.

"If Experimental Hydroburn was spliced onto an instant, that spell deals 3 damage to those creatures’ controller (in addition to its other effects), and you may treat the instant as if its Overload cost was paid."

Experimental Hydroburn doesn't do anything.  That spell is dealing the damage, plus tapping the creatures (because that's being added to the spell per the splice errata), plus whatever the spell would normally do, WITH OVERLOAD if it has one.

Spells aren't being spliced onto Experimental Hydroburn.  Experimental Hydroburn is being spliced onto spells.  

Also, there can't really be any "right" wording, as there's never been a Splice spell that adds a third effect due to the act of it being spliced.  But I'm innovating here, so I think there should be.

Experimental Hydroburn 

{Picture is water setting fire to a lab, the product of an experiment gone horribly awry}

Instant

Splice onto instant  (As you cast another Instant spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card’s effects to that spell)

If Experimental Hydroburn was spliced onto an instant, that spell deals 3 damage to those creatures’ controller (in addition to its other effects), and you may treat the instant as if its Overload cost was paid.

Purplebackpack, the wording should be something along the lines of "If this spell is not named Experimental Hydroburn, it deals 3 damage to those creatures’ controller (in addition to its other effects), and you may treat the instant as if its Overload cost was paid." so that it would function if and only if you splice Hydroburn onto something else. There is a correct way to state it, but your way just doesn't work. For instance, let's say you splice it onto a Lightning Bolt. Lightning Bolt would now say:
"Lightning Bolt deals three damage to target creature or player. Tap two target creatures that share a controller. If Lightning Bolt was spliced onto an instant, that spell deals 3 damage to those creatures’ controller (in addition to its other effects), and you may treat the instant as if its Overload cost was paid." 
Remember, splice onto instant doesn't just mean "when you cast an instant, cast this as well without losing a card". The text of your splice is actually added to that spells of effect, and as such your wording doesn't.
In addition, you can't just give any random spell overload. In fact, Experimental Hydroburn itself wouldn't work if you spliced it, because it's text would become "Tap two each creatures that share a controler." which doesn't work at all. The bit which gives it an extra ability if it's spliced can be made to work, but your targeting format doesn't work with overload.
Finally, why are you giving mono blue burn? Or mono red Sleep?
Show
Hey FirstTurnKill, thanks for the vote. Could you elaborate on why you liked it? I don't know what you mean by "Worldstorm is...alright, I don't want to play this game anymore."

I didn't even have words to express with.  By "alright" I didn't mean that Worldstorm was an "alright" design; I meant it as surrender, like "OK, I give up."

I think it's elegant, well costed, will make someone who opens it in a pack go "Whoa," and actually quite balanced.

Sorry, FirstTurnKill, but Experimental Hydroburn does too work.  Look at the wording.

"If Experimental Hydroburn was spliced onto an instant, that spell deals 3 damage to those creatures’ controller (in addition to its other effects), and you may treat the instant as if its Overload cost was paid."

Experimental Hydroburn doesn't do anything.  That spell is dealing the damage, plus tapping the creatures (because that's being added to the spell per the splice errata), plus whatever the spell would normally do, WITH OVERLOAD if it has one.

Spells aren't being spliced onto Experimental Hydroburn.  Experimental Hydroburn is being spliced onto spells.  

Also, there can't really be any "right" wording, as there's never been a Splice spell that adds a third effect due to the act of it being spliced.  But I'm innovating here, so I think there should be.

Show
So, Splice is a static ability that, when used, creates a copy effect event that copies the text box of (in this case) Experimental Hydroburn onto the spell to which it gets spliced.  For simplicity, let's say you splice Experimental Hydroburn onto Lightning Bolt; here's what New Lightning Bolt looks like when it resolves, reminder text removed.

Lightning Bolt |
Instant
Lightning Bolt deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
Tap two target creatures that share a controller.
If Lightning Bolt was spliced onto an instant, that spell deals 3 damage to those creatures' controller, and you may treat the instant as if [sic] its Overload cost was paid.

So, you see, Lightning Bolt won't ever see itself as having been spliced onto anything, because it wasn't...it had something spliced onto it.

Experimental Hydroburn remains in your hand.  Because it's in your hand, the triggered ability "If Experimental Hydroburn was spliced onto an instant, that spell..." isn't visible to everyone.  Your hand is a hidden zone, regardless of the revealed status of any of the cards in that zone.  Unusually, the card itself is has already been revealed as part of the static Splice ability; but something that is revealed immediately goes back to being unrevealed, so it isn't still revealed when the trigger tries to trigger, so it won't.

Now, there is another way than the one I suggested.  Experimental Hydroburn could read:

"Splice onto Instant :urm:.  If you do, that spell deals 3 damage to [...]"

However, that won't have the intuitive effect you're looking for.  With that wording what happens is this:

1). You declare that you are casting Lightning Bolt and you place it on the stack.
2). You reveal Experimental Hydroburn as part of the static ability "Splice onto Instant."
3). A triggered ability that says, "Lightning Bolt deals 3 damage to [...]" goes onto the stack on top of Lightning Bolt itself.

And now you're mucking with a static ability *and* a triggered ability on the same card.  It would be better if New Lightning Bolt looked like this instead:

Lightning Bolt |
Instant
Tap two target creatures that share a controller.
If abilities or effects were spliced onto Lightning Bolt, it deals 3 damage to the tapped creatures' controller, and you may treat Lightning Bolt as though its Overload cost was paid.

The more I think about it, the more I realize even *that* won't work.  Since I'm really having to go into detail here, it would be *best* if it said this:

Lightning Bolt |
Instant
Tap two target creatures that share a controller.  If this ability was spliced onto Lightning Bolt, it deals 3 damage to those creatures' controller.
Splice onto Instant :urm:, except Overload abilities of instants that Lightning Bolt is spliced onto have no costs.

Which requires Experimental Hydroburn to look like this:

Experimental Hydroburn | :urm:
Instant
Tap two target creatures that share a controller.  If this ability was spliced onto Experimental Hydroburn, it deals 3 damage to those creatures' controller.
Splice onto Instant :urm:, except Overload abilities of instants that Experimental Hydroburn is spliced onto have no costs.

Wow, OK, splice gets complicated trying to fix.  I'm done with edits now.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
Unfortunately, most contestants post something and then never return for voting!
Turnip_Song or Therealphamatt. Going with Turnip_Song I guess.
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
VOTING PERIOD IS OVER

I will begin compiling the votes and announce the JUDGE'S VOTE by the end of the day. 

Experimental Hydroburn 

Instant

Splice onto instant  (As you cast another Instant spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card’s effects to that spell)

Purplebackpack, the wording should be something along the lines of "If this spell is not named Experimental Hydroburn, it deals 3 damage to those creatures’ controller (in addition to its other effects), and you may treat the instant as if its Overload cost was paid." so that it would function if and only if you splice Hydroburn onto something else. There is a correct way to state it, but your way just doesn't work. For instance, let's say you splice it onto a Lightning Bolt. Lightning Bolt would now say:
"Lightning Bolt deals three damage to target creature or player. Tap two target creatures that share a controller. If Lightning Bolt was spliced onto an instant, that spell deals 3 damage to those creatures’ controller (in addition to its other effects), and you may treat the instant as if its Overload cost was paid." 
Remember, splice onto instant doesn't just mean "when you cast an instant, cast this as well without losing a card". The text of your splice is actually added to that spells of effect, and as such your wording doesn't.
In addition, you can't just give any random spell overload. In fact, Experimental Hydroburn itself wouldn't work if you spliced it, because it's text would become "Tap two each creatures that share a controler." which doesn't work at all. The bit which gives it an extra ability if it's spliced can be made to work, but your targeting format doesn't work with overload.
Finally, why are you giving mono blue burn? Or mono red Sleep?

Why am I giving mono blue burn or mono red sleep?  Because my spell isn't powerful enough to justify it costing .  

And the part about "you may treat it is though the Overload cost was paid" is supposed to only apply to spells with Overload.  A spell that doesn't have an overload cost obviously can't be overloaded
I'm disapointed in you people. You should know that splice onto instant would only be on sorceries... Otherwise you discourage playing any sorceries at all, which isn't what Izzet is about.

I wish I had known about this contest when it started... Oh well... 
Ancestral Recall wouldn't be broken
NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

Haven't noticed the thread, probably been lurking on second page. I thought about it briefly some days ago.

To some comment above, I'm not sure why I didn't make mine a sorcery, but it doesn't matter a whole lot I suppose.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

PEOPLE'S VOTE 

Second Place
Mown, 3-7-15-1-292, Turnip_Song - 1 vote each
+20 BRAGGING RIGHTS EACH  

First place
TherealphatMatt - 2 votes
+30 BRAGGING RIGHTS 

IceMetalPunk-Brilliant! Reveal an instant, splice, reveal an instant, splice, reve- WHAT FUN!
FirstTurnKill-I'm not sure this works as written, but I get what's its trying to do. Evasive beater that rewards you for playing instants. Pretty off the rails in a good way.
Purplebackpack89-Again, not sure this works as written, but I get what its trying to do. This really shouldn't be hybrid. Tapping isn't red, and direct damage isn't blue.
bay_falconer-Simple and to the point, but this could probably afford to be cheaper if Evermind is any precedent.
3-7-15-1-292 - Oh dear... This seems like all kinds of dangerous, but in a fun way.
TherealphatMatt - I had to double check to see if a card that refers to itself can be splice (it can). This card seems like an ideal example of less is more. Simple and elegant.
ConfusedAsUsual - Not sure a red splice should cantrip.
Glasir - Had to read that a couple of times to grasp it. Kind of a rules nightmare, but it probably does enough to warrant a slot as one of those wacky "what are you going to do with me" rares.
Tinkerermcmuffin- *A* I love it. It's like one of those Shadowmoor "If you paid A, do A thing, if you paid B, do B thing" without ever having to say so. Theatog - I'm rather fond of counters that counter without having to say 'counter'. This card is doing a lot of neat things.
Matt_Holck - Funcional, but a bit dull. I'm not sure why I would play this over Gitaxian Probe or Telepathy give the chance. EpicLevelCommoner-I will fully admit that I am too dull a person to work to make these sort of cards to work, but this card is entirely functional. That's a whole lot of digging.
cats_and_me-I was under the impression that this sort of thing was more white's shtick.
Ulcaster-Pretty uncommon for a flip coin to have both options be viable. I'm not sure if its a good idea or not, but I like the lessening of feel bad moments.
Fenix-I was thinking that this would also copy the spliced spells. Phooey. Either that or cast the copies so that you could splice some more. 
Turnip_Song-Seems on par.
Mown-Buyback for everything! 4 is probably the minimum safe cost for this sort of thing. 

JUDGE'S VOTE

Third place, +10 BRAGGING RIGHTS
 IceMetalPunk
I'm not sure that splice cost is right on, but this seems like a beautiful dream to reach. Playing a cheap instant, splicing this into an instant, splicing that onto an instant.

Second place, +20 BRAGGING RIGHTS
TherealphatMatt
Incredibly simple, sublimely elegant.

First place, +30 BRAGGING RIGHTS
Tinkermcmuffin
This card speaks to me. It splices, it dices, it rewards blue for being blue and red for being red.

Congrats to our winners, and thank you to everyone who played!
Let me know what you thought of the contest! 
Aw yeah, 20 bragging points! Woo! 
Since you asked for comments, I have one suggestion: a concrete rating, like 8/10, is a nice addition to the subjective comments.
Show
Sign In to post comments