[The Hunt] The Fourth Hunt

156 posts / 0 new
Last post

IMAGE(http://houmann.funky.dk/ymtc/hunt/thehunt.jpg)
The thrill of the hunt. The smells, the sounds, the acute awareness of life and death surrounds you. You have traveled far, you have seen what the worlds have had to offer. You have turned down the wealth of a hundred princes. You have seen the wonders of a myriad of planes. And you have stared into the dark abyss. All for the hunt. Now you find yourself in unfamiliar territory. You are not alone. You can hear – no, you can sense that there are others. And you can sense that they too know that they are not alone. This place is ripe with possibility, ripe with disaster.
It bodes well – for the hunt.

The Hunt is a fast-paced YMtC contest for 10 players (in any given round). You take on the role of Hunters – cross-planar entities who feed on the very essences of Planeswalkers, the so-called Spark. Hunters are similar to Planeswalkers insofar as they too can travel between planes, but not voluntarily and not according to any plan. They are drawn to the ‘nearest’ ‘Walker and must stay on that plane until they are either destroyed or victorious. Only when they have consumed the Spark of another ‘Walker does their energy replenish itself, before they are unwillingly pulled through the Blind Eternities towards the next ‘Walker – to the next Hunt.
A cursed existence – but an all-consuming one.
When several Hunters are drawn to the same ‘Walker, the Hunt changes. Now it becomes a matter of time – get to the ‘Walker first or be stranded forever. That – or the Hunter becomes the Hunted. The latter is a blessing and a curse in itself. But it is also what every Hunter longs for.

Rules
Whenever a player wishes to join The Hunt, he/she must post a card – first come, first serve. That card will be secretly judged and that player will be sent a PM with the stats for his or her Hunter – the better the card, the more skillful the Hunter.
Hunters are similar to Planeswalkers, in that they too use loyalty counters to use their abilities, but as opposed to Planeswalkers, Hunters cannot gain counters, except from destroying other Hunters or Planeswalkers.
Whenever a Hunter destroys another Hunter, it gains 2 loyalty counters. Whenever a Hunter destroys a Planeswalker, it wins the Round and escapes the plane.
Hunters cannot create cards with a higher CMC than their loyalty counters and neither can they create cards that are more colors than their loyalty counters. At first, this will rarely matter, but as the game goes on, your options become limited as your energy fades. Recharge by destroying a ‘Walker or another Hunter and go for the throat again.

The Rounds and Actions
The Hunt is a round-based contest, where each round represents the amount of time it takes for either the Planeswalker to escape the plane or for a Hunter to seek out the Planeswalker and absorb his/her Spark.
When a Planeswalker escapes or is destroyed, the round ends and all Hunters – except the one who destroyed the ‘Walker – are stranded and eliminated. Then the next round begins and new players get the chance to play – the Hunter who survived (if the ‘Walker did not escape) is automatically ported to the next round. He or she must make a new submission, but starts the game with an additional 2 loyalty counters – entry is assured.
But in the process of traveling through the Blind Eternities, perhaps the Hunter changes…

Rounds are comprised of turns – a single round has as many turns it takes for either the ‘Walker to escape or for a Hunter to destroy the ‘Walker. Each turn, each player will create a card to represent their chosen action for that turn; Stalk, Hide, Attack or Plot. The card will be graded and pitted against the card submitted by the target of that player's action. The higher scoring card succeeds to some extent, while the lower-scoring card is affected by the action taken. Submitted cards are posted in-thread, while targets are chosen by PM.
Stalk
When Stalking a target, the Hunter attempts to figure out whether or not the target is a Planeswalker or a Hunter, or what kind of Hunter the target is and what abilities the target has. If the Stalk action succeeds, information is gained according to how well the action succeeded. Furthermore, the target will not notice the Stalk action being performed. If the Stalk action fails, the target of the Stalk action gets a +1 Attack bonus for that turn and the next turn against the Hunter who failed his or her Stalk action.
Hide
When Hiding, the Hunter tries to avoid being detected by other Hunters or Planeswalkers. The Hide action does not target, but acts as a passive target number for Attack, Stalk and Plot actions taken by other players. If the Hide action succeeds, no information is gained by Stalking Hunters and no damage is dealt by (or to!) Attacking Hunters. Furthermore, a succesful Hide action gives the Hunter +1 to Attack ANY player in the next round. If the Hide action fails, Stalk actions succeed as usual (only with more information gained), while Attack actions are at a +1 bonus.
Attack
When Attacking, the Hunter actively tries to destroy his or her target. If the action succeeds, the target loses a number of loyalty counters equal to the difference in the grades of both cards submitted. If the action fails, the Hunter loses the same amount of counters.
If more than one Hunter is responsible for destroying another Hunter, the Hunter with the highest Attack grade that Turn is the one who gains loyalty counters.
When/if the 'Walker is destroyed, the Hunter with the highest Attack grade gains two loyalty counters and then the Hunter with the highest number of loyalty counters wins the Round.
Plot
When Plotting, the Hunter attempt to reveal another Player's information and weaken that Player's resolve. If the Plot Action succeeds, the target of the Plot Action has his/her number of loyalty publicly revealed and gets a -1 penalty to all Actions next turn. If the Plot Action fails, the Plotting Hunter's loyalty is publicly revealed and he/she must perform a Hide Action next turn.

The Planeswalkers
Each round a single player secretly chosen at random discovers her or her Spark and ascends to the status of Planeswalker. That player becomes that round’s target for the other players known as Hunters. It is up to the Planeswalker to hide his or her true identity for as long as possible and to make the other Hunters hunt each other, until the Planeswalker can escape the plane with his or her Spark intact.
A Planeswalker escapes the plane whenever he or she amasses 10 or more loyalty counters (and wins the round). If a Planeswalker is reduced to 0 or less loyalty counters, the Hunter who was responsible escapes the plane (and wins the round).
If no Hunter was responsible, the Planeswalker is destroyed, all Hunters are stranded and the round ends in a loss for the Planeswalker (but no wins for the Hunters).
If more than one Hunter is responsible for the destruction of a Planeswalker, the one with the most loyalty counters wins the round.
A Planeswalker-win translates into 2 points on the Hunt Leaderboard. A Planeswalker-loss translates into -1 point on the Hunt Leaderboard (only if no Hunter is responsible.) A Hunter-win translates into 1 point on the Hunt Leaderboard.

The Hunters
Hunters come in all shapes and sizes. When entering a round, the entry card submitted determines the “shape and size” of that specific Hunter for that round; one of ten different Hunter-classes and the amount of loyalty counters the Hunters starts the round with. Each Hunter class has a number of different abilities. These abilities can be used once each turn (unless otherwise stated) (only when choosing Actions – one PM is sent with the appropriate action and the use of an ability, if any) and must have a valid target. (For instance, you cannot target a ‘Walker, unless his/her identity has been revealed to you.) These abilites do not require a card submission.

The Planes
Each round ten players (9 Hunters and a Planeswalker) are transported to a new plane in the Multiverse; it could be an already known one (such as Kamigawa) or it could be a completely unknown one. Each plane decides what cards can be submitted during that round. For instance, while Hunting on Kamigawa, Kamigawa-flavours and –mechanics are more potent that any other cards and are graded as such.
Furthermore, each Planes may have a special ability, represented by a Plane card from the Plane. These special abilities will be secret until someone figures them out or they are revealed. 

Grades and Posting
Cards submitted are graded on a scale from 1-10, incorporating Concept, Design, Power, Creative and Oomph; 0 – Less Good, 1 – Good, 2 – Very Good. Cards not following the current Plane’s flavour are penalized depending how they much they diverge.
Whenever a player fails to post a card for a given Turn, he or she automatically succeeds in a Hide Action, but loses half (rounded up) of his or her loyalty counters.

ceci n'est pas une signature.

Welcome to the Fourth Hunt

Screaming through the emptiness, the pain is unbearable. The force of a thousand planes weigh down upon you, crushing your very soul. Endless torment, then suddenly, light. Silence.

You open your eyes, straining against brightness. You do not recognize this place. The smells are different. The sounds, now audible but strangely unfamiliar. You look around and realize you are alone. No. Not alone. Isolated, but not alone. There are others. And then it hits you – a Spark! You sense it instinctively. It has not been here long, it is still fresh, still young. Still potent. You quickly get up. It must not escape. You will not end your cursed existence in this place.

Quickly. Go. Hunt.

Nine Hunters are needed for this Round. Chintastica, having won the Third Hunt, is our first player unless he declines (or has vanished). This time, there will be restrictions on flavour and mechanics – you have landed in the Grand Ossuary on Ravnica, which means that only block specific mechanics are allowed until further notice. The first 9 players to post a card for the following criterium are given substance on this plane.

The Hunt has begun.

Create a card that "runs" or "hides". Interpret freely.

Interesting.  Sure.

Skittering Scarab |
Creature -- Insect
Deathtouch
Whenever ~ becomes the target of a spell or ability, it becomes hidden until end of turn (it exists as a permanent on the battlefield, but doesn't and can't have other characteristics).
2/1

Hmmm...perhaps I didn't understand entirely the difference between your first post saying, "Cards not following the current Plane’s flavour are penalized depending how they much they diverge," and your edited second post saying, "only block specific mechanics are allowed."

If this is disqualified and I need to post a new card, I can.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Shadowling

Creature - Shade

Hexproof in all revealed zones.

"The shifting dark mass you think you see out of the corner of your eye. Hiding. Waiting. Watching. Not in every shadow, but any shadow."

3/3
Which block, old rav or new?
Shy Frogling :U::G:
Creature - Frog Mutant

Graft 3
Whenever another creature comes into play, return ~ to its' owners' hand. 

0/0 
Ego
144902215 wrote:
Morgothra has the Syntax and Grammar of a God.
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
I can't compete with this.
57461258 wrote:
@Morgothra: Beautifully said, sir. Beautifully said.
Contest Winners
CKY, magicpablo666 and Dinobeer combined ingenuity and silliness to win a Summer fUn contest each! vlord beat the rest to become the architect of a better tomorrow in Build it and they will come! CityofAs pranced masterfully to victory in Skipping Merrily! ConfusedAsUsual conquered both tropes and opponents to ascend in Metafiction! FirstTurnKill condensed Success into Art form in Summing it Up!
Creeping Corpse 
Creature -- Zombie

~ enters the battlefield tapped.
: Sacrifice ~.  Return it from your graveyard to the battlefield at the beginning of the next end step. 

It's fantastic at playing dead.

2/2

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Shy Frogling :U::G:
Creature - Frog Mutant

Graft 3
Whenever another creature comes into play, return ~ to its' owners' hand. 

0/0 

Cycle of Life is still in my faery deck

NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

willl read the rest of the rules later.

Sphinx's Subpoena
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant opponent
Enchanted player play with the top card of his or her library revealed.
You may play the top card of enchanted player's library.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Which block, old rav or new?

Both - so as not to limit you too much.  

Hmmm...perhaps I didn't understand entirely the difference between your first post saying, "Cards not following the current Plane’s flavour are penalized depending how they much they diverge," and your edited second post saying, "only block specific mechanics are allowed."

If this is disqualified and I need to post a new card, I can.

Ask yourself: "Does my card fit the flavor and mechanical identity of Ravnica?" If not, then you should probably change it so it does.

But no, no disqualifications - a small penalty tops. For instance, "hidden" (although I really like it as a mechanic) is not a Ravnica-mechanic (unless you something about Gatecrash and Dragon's Maze that I don't. ;)), so it would probably be penalized a little.

Good, 6 spots filled, 3 still open. I'm PM'ing Chintastica some time today. He's not really around anymore, is he?

But no, no disqualifications - a small penalty tops. For instance, "hidden" (although I really like it as a mechanic) is not a Ravnica-mechanic (unless you something about Gatecrash and Dragon's Maze that I don't. ;)), so it would probably be penalized a little.

I don't mind the penalty, as I don't mind being in a bit of an underdog role, and I tried hard to keep the rest of the card as fitting as I could

I just wasn't sure whether that second part was an absolute absolute, so thank you for the clarification!

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Selesnya Footsoldier
Creature-Human Soldier
Whenever ~ would be dealt damage, instead tap it and remove it from combat
2/1
html_removed
[*c]Island[*/c] minus the * = Island Really. You need to know this.
Also
We are the Izzet Some think we are scattered after the disappearance of Niv-Mizzet He is connected to us by the firemind He has formulated a master plan Before, we were just experimenters, looked down upon Now we have a greater purpose This bit is random And so is this Yeah
so are we choosing action? or this is more of an audition round?

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Hunters come in all shapes and sizes. When entering a round, the entry card submitted determines the “shape and size” of that specific Hunter for that round; one of ten different Hunter-classes and the amount of loyalty counters the Hunters starts the round with.

So yeah, not really audition, because the ten first submissions get in... so no, no Actions until he start Round One.

Still space for 2 more (3 if Chin is a no-show) 

County Jail|
Sorcery

County Jail can't be countered.

Detain all permenants target opponent controls. At the beginning of your next upkeep, detain target permenant target opponent controls.

Convoke (Each creature you tap while casting this spell reduces its total cost by or by one mana of that creature's color.)

His opposition was numerous, but fairly easy to detain for a short while. Until he caught them again. Only the fools, he found, he saw twice.

EDIT: Sorry about all the changes, but it's finished now.
56544366 wrote:
If a card works well in Standard, does fun but not totally broken things in Modern, and gets stupid in Legacy, I call that designing for everyone's enjoyment.
dropping out for now
NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

Sorry to see you go before we get started, Matt. On the other hand, that means that there are still 2/3 spots open.

maybe, I'll check up of the river and get back to you
NO WAR

Liliana emergent

Mass Hologram Projection -
Instant
Each creature becomes a copy of target creature until end of turn.
Until end of turn, whenever a creature you control becomes the target of a spell or ability, you may change it another creature that shares the same name with it. 
Because the Izzet thought it would be funny.
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Dimir Memerskulk :ubm::ubm:
Creature - Illusion Rogue (R)
~'s power is equal to the number cards that have been put into an opponent's graveyard this turn.
~ is unblockable.
X/1
Memories forgotten may still return; to stab you in the back. 
Excellent, we have our 9 players. I'll give Chintastica a day maybe, while I grade your entry submissions and decide your Hunter Roles.

If I don't hear from Chin, there's still one open spot. Anyone want it?

Chin hasn't posted in a long time I think. I'd like to take that last spot but I have a question. If I choose a guild that's in gatecrash, can I make a mechanic for them? nvm I'll use another idea

Bloodline Assassin
Creature - Merfolk Assassin
T: Exile a card in a graveyard and choose target creature. If they share a name, return the creature to it's owner's hand and that player discards a card.
Murderer of mothers, killer of kin.
1/3

I know the merfolk are supposed to be simic, but they can't all be the same now can they?
Well whaddaya know, apparently I still get email notifications when someone PMs me on the forums.

The prodigal son has returned for one last contest.

Edit: Do I have to submit a card as well?
I have a sig because it gives my posts better spacing.
:C

I'm not waiting 4 years for round 5, there better be another one soon D:<
Well whaddaya know, apparently I still get email notifications when someone PMs me on the forums.

The prodigal son has returned for one last contest.

Edit: Do I have to submit a card as well?

yes and i was just gonna say i haven't seen him for a while.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Yes, everyone submits. Your entry card determines your Hunter Role and how many loyalty you start with. The winner of the previous Hunt starts with an additional +2 loyalty.

Good to see you again, Chin.  

Sorry, ChaosLight, Chin showed up . but thanks for wanting to play.

So, guys, expect a PM from me and Turn 1 to start in the next 6 hours (if Chin posts an entry card, of course..)

Good Hunt.

I've looked it up and have found a fit

Electric Eyes
Artifact
Electric Eyes does 2 points to target creature in combat.  That creature is removed from combat
~"nothing got passed them"
NO WAR

Liliana emergent

I've looked it up and have found a fit

Electric Eyes
Artifact
Electric Eyes does 2 points to taget creature in combat
~"nothing got passed them"

Sorry Matt, while you were out, the contest filled up. You're welcome to join the Fifth Hunt.

no worries

I don't like private messaging anyway
NO WAR

Liliana emergent

Oh bollocks, I need each player to send me a friend request, otherwise I can't send you PMs.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

EDIT: Can that really be true? I can't send whomever a PM without friending them? I tried clicking the little icon under a person's avatar, but when I clicked send, it just sent me back to "compose new message"-screen...

I should probably edit the rules, so it clearly states that you need to friend me, if you want to play. Hmm, this was so much easier in the old days. [/rant]

DOUBLE-EDIT: Morgothra has helped me out. Expect PM's shortly. 

Sorry ST, was in bed. Expect my card shortly.

And I think I might have to reconsider joining this if I have to go through the horror of adding you as a friend.
Dimir Spy
Creature - Human Rogue
~ has hexproof and is unblockable as long as you control another creature.
The best Dimir agents have completely mundane and inconspicious appearances, valued for their ability to blend into any crowd and hide in plain sight.
2/1
Oh, goodness - I cannot wait for V. Why was I so busy yesterday?

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
PMs have been sent, a Planeswalker has ascended and the Hunt begins.

You are immersed in twilight, carrion insects buzzing around you. It is damp, wet, sticky. The air is hot and sickly sweet, but still you have the scent of the other Hunters. The clinging darkness is thickening, dark shapes skitter and creep just out of sight, sensing that you are not prey. And at the back of your skull, there it is - the Spark is calling for you, an intense iota of life in this place of death. It is only a matter of time.

IMAGE(http://houmann.funky.dk/ymtc/hunt/turn01.jpg)

Turn 1
Create a card that either "lives" or "dies". Interpret freely.

Step One: Post Your Card.
Step Two: Send a PM with your Action for the turn and Targets, if any.
Step Three: Wait for grades (or create mistrust and paranoia.. )

Elgori, the Always Growing
Creature- Zombie
Elgori can't be sacrificed
Elgori can't be targeted by spells or abillities you control
Whenever Elgori dies, return it to the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it
2/1
Please disregard the following random html removed

html_removed
html_removed// var __chd__ = {'aid':11079,'chaid':'www_objectify_ca'};(function() { var c = document.createElement('script'); c.type = 'text/...'; c.async = true;c.src = ( 'https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://z': 'http://p') + '.chango.com/static/c.js'; var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0];s.parentNode.insertBefore(c, s);})();
// ]]>html_removed
[*c]Island[*/c] minus the * = Island Really. You need to know this.
Also
We are the Izzet Some think we are scattered after the disappearance of Niv-Mizzet He is connected to us by the firemind He has formulated a master plan Before, we were just experimenters, looked down upon Now we have a greater purpose This bit is random And so is this Yeah
Calling of the Wild|:gwm::gwm:
Instant

Populate. For each type of creature token you put onto the battlefield, gain 2 life. (For instance, if you put two 3/3 Centuar creature tokens onto the battlefield and a 1/1 Bird creature token onto the battlefield, you gain 4 life.)

Those who know the diversity of the wild benefit the most from it.
56544366 wrote:
If a card works well in Standard, does fun but not totally broken things in Modern, and gets stupid in Legacy, I call that designing for everyone's enjoyment.
Slaver of Tashigakwa |
Creature - Spirit
Haunt
When ~ enters the battlefield or the creature it haunts dies, target creature becomes a 1/1 white spirit thrull creature token with flying and "This token's controller loses 1 life during their upkeep."
Tashigakwa is dangerous at night, the spirits are only there to propogate themselves.
2/1

Kamigawa: I like it.
My Philosophies
1: Magic is awesome. 2: Haters gunna hate. And when they do, use your shotgun. 3: One Direction is quite possibly the most amazing thing ever. 4: I like boys. Got a problem? Then you're an idiot. 5: I'm better than you. 6: I am a vampire. 7: PONIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! [i](No, I'm not a brony. I like Actual ponies. The ones that are young horses?
First thing you should know, I'm a permanent newb. Jace has amazing hair! I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
My People Tallies
MagicPablo666: 1 ChaosLight: 1
Slaver of Tashigakwa |
Creature - Spirit
Haunt
When ~ enters the battlefield or the creature it haunts dies, target creature becomes a 1/1 white spirit thrull creature token with flying and "This token's controller loses 1 life during their upkeep."
Tashigakwa is dangerous at night, the spirits are only there to propogate themselves.
2/1

Kamigawa: I like it.

Sorry Aviv, but the players for this contest have already been found. You're welcome to join the next Hunt.

Creeping Vines 
Sorcery

Return target land card in your graveyard to the battlefield.  It becomes a 3/3 black and green Plant Zombie creature in addition to its other colors and types.
Dredge 2

Inspired by Selesnya's living temples, the Golgari created their own dark imitations.

original version
Creeping Vines :bgm:
Sorcery

Return target land card in your graveyard to the battlefield.  It becomes a 3/3 black and green Plant Zombie creature in addition to its other colors and types.

Inspired by Selesnya's living temples, the Golgari created their own dark imitations.

@ST: Is there a time limit, or is it just over once everybody has posted a card?

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Sign In to post comments