Use Highest Save for all saves

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
It's been years since I played DnD and I'm trying to recall an ability/feat/etc that I remember having on one of my old charaters. Basically the ability let you use whatever save was the highest for the rolls on the other saves.

Does anyone know of such an ability/feat, or perhaps combination of ability/feats (like I might of taken it twice, once of each of other saves)?
I don't know of any that do that, but there are four Diamond Mind maneuvers in Tome of Battle that let you replace a save with a Concentration check; there's one for each save, and one for any save.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
It's been years since I played DnD and I'm trying to recall an ability/feat/etc that I remember having on one of my old charaters. Basically the ability let you use whatever save was the highest for the rolls on the other saves.

Does anyone know of such an ability/feat, or perhaps combination of ability/feats (like I might of taken it twice, once of each of other saves)?

maybe DEXTEROUS FORTITUDE [EPIC]  and DEXTEROUS WILL [EPIC]
i don't think was the maneuvers of the Tome of Battle because not is so old some other feats from magazines let you use Cha in your saves, or Int or Con but the only one to let you use one full save instead of other that i was remember are the epics.
Pepe pecas pica papas con un pico con un pico pepe pecas pica papas si pepe pecas pica papas con un pico donde esta el pico con que pepe pecas pica papas.
Although such a thing may exist my thought is that it would be far too good.  I say this because if you have a feat that can have all of your saves looking only at your best save you've just cheated a bunch of classes from an advantage of providing mutliple good saves.  If you consider who would be using it you'll also find that it would easily eclipse the basic save boost feats which just give another +2; switching a "poor save" to use a "good save" has that matched or beaten from first level and just grows from there.

I'd need to look up the maneuvers draco1119 mentions as they can be pretty strong but I also suspect they are somewhat limited in use and will also note they'll take more resources to use then just a single feat or ability.

Although such a thing may exist my thought is that it would be far too good.  I say this because if you have a feat that can have all of your saves looking only at your best save you've just cheated a bunch of classes from an advantage of providing mutliple good saves.  If you consider who would be using it you'll also find that it would easily eclipse the basic save boost feats which just give another +2; switching a "poor save" to use a "good save" has that matched or beaten from first level and just grows from there.

I'd need to look up the maneuvers draco1119 mentions as they can be pretty strong but I also suspect they are somewhat limited in use and will also note they'll take more resources to use then just a single feat or ability.

the maneuvers are limited as example you can only set 6 diferent ready at the same time (depend of the level) and you can select any maneuvers to use but this waste it (each maneuvers have her action time), then if a battle start you can waste one but you can't use it one again until you regain it and for it you need waste a standard action (or full i dont remember) to regain all your maneuvers (or select others manuver you know).

is like the wizards spell but with the chance of regain it as standard action.
Pepe pecas pica papas con un pico con un pico pepe pecas pica papas si pepe pecas pica papas con un pico donde esta el pico con que pepe pecas pica papas.
The DEXTEROUS FORTITUDE [EPIC] does seem on the right track though it wasn't once per day. It was an epic campaign so it could be an epic feat and thus not seen much. There were no homebrew rules but we were allowed to use 3rd party material books from D20.

Thinking back there is the chance it was simply use the ability modifier from one stat instead of another for determining saves. Because I was playing a monk at the time and they have the same saves across the board but I had high wisdom and was using all that same save rolls. If there is a feat or two that allows you to use WIS for determining FORT/REF saves then that might be what I am thinking of.
the maneuvers are limited as example you can only set 6 diferent ready at the same time (depend of the level) and you can select any maneuvers to use but this waste it (each maneuvers have her action time), then if a battle start you can waste one but you can't use it one again until you regain it and for it you need waste a standard action (or full i dont remember) to regain all your maneuvers (or select others manuver you know).

It all depends on the class:

Crusader (doesn't matter, since they can't learn them without outside help) - rotating.  You start with two in an encounter, then get one more at the end of each turn...unless you can't.  If you can't, all of your expended ones become readied and you get two to use.

Swordsage - full-round action, no AoO.

Warblade - swift action, followed by either an attack or a standard action to do nothing.       

I did say I'd need to look up the maneuvers.  I have a good understanding on how the manuevers in the TOB work but that is that last DnD book I aquired and while I've now had it about six months I've never really studied it.
The DEXTEROUS FORTITUDE [EPIC] does seem on the right track though it wasn't once per day. It was an epic campaign so it could be an epic feat and thus not seen much. There were no homebrew rules but we were allowed to use 3rd party material books from D20. 

Thinking back there is the chance it was simply use the ability modifier from one stat instead of another for determining saves. Because I was playing a monk at the time and they have the same saves across the board but I had high wisdom and was using all that same save rolls. If there is a feat or two that allows you to use WIS for determining FORT/REF saves then that might be what I am thinking of.

I googled the feat after Oma mentioned it and it does appear to do something like what you were looking for.  They are of course epic feats which may "break" a number of rules and looking at those "Dexterous XXXX" feats I'd also say they have some pretty high prereqs including a class feature that I don't believe is too common.  If we're all honest the 3.5 rules really start breaking down in epic levels which is why I wouldn't think to look there.

Now feats that change a saving throws governing ability I believe exist and while they can be strong I'm not going to object to them too much.  I'm not sure where they are but if you can find the thread about ability substitutions and how to do it you'll have your answer. 
"I also suspect they are somewhat limited in use" well you know it :p

i try to find a feat to use wis instead of Dex or Con but i can't feat it maybe in some Magazine or something.
If this were SWSE I'd say the feats you seek are in the Galaxy at War book.  Now if my memory is serving me correctly I believe you could find one that let you use CHA for WILL (Strengh of Personality?) and INT for REF (Intuitive Reflexes?) and I think it was WIS for FORT (Mind over matter?)

The wedded to history feat (Dragon 354, p54) does this if you pick the survivor background. The drawback is, each time you use it, you take a cumulative -1 to will saves for the rest of the day.

The closest I can remember is stuff like steadfast determination, which lets you use con for will saves. 

Check X Stat to Y thread for similar abilities. If what you want existed, it would be there.

www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=436...

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"                                                  "I'd recommend no one listed to Krusk's opinions about what games to play"

this is a great feats for barbarians and let you dont fail in a natural 1 in your fortitude saves.

The closest I can remember is stuff like steadfast determination, which lets you use con for will saves. 

Check X Stat to Y thread for similar abilities. If what you want existed, it would be there.

www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=436...

That's the type of thread I was suggesting the OP find.  I see CHA for WILL, INT to REF, and CON to WILL.  I guess there isn't a replacement for FORT and you're still looking at two abilities.

Sign In to post comments