Resist 20 on a level 9 minion, can that be right?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just made an encounter for an online game and found the Lingering Monster Spirit, through the online monster compendium (but can also be found in threats to the Nentir valley Monster vault). It suited the feel I was going for, so I included a lot of them. Now I see there might be a problem. They have Resist 20 all except radiant! That's a lot! Can it really be right? None of the PC's in this group have radiant-attacks. But thankfully they are level 12 and have both a barbarian and a rogue (with d8s for sneak attack), so they should be be to get them down. It just seems completely overpowered for a level 9 minion.

Of course  can just arbitrarily change the value to something I find fitting, even removing it. But the PC's know they have 20 now and I don't want a rollback. I am just curious, fom further encounters, if this is something that is actually balanced.

Comments?
Yes its right. There's also the Lingering Warrior Spirit that has Resist 15 all except radiant. Although these allies are minions, Lingering Spirits are hardier than most such creatures.

At around level 9 its not very hard to deal 21 damage but it make them particularly resistant to AoE and weaker attacks in general such as At-will from non-Strikers.

MVTttNV 17 Lingering Spirits: Traveling and fighting alongside the Barrowhaunts are the spirits of the creatures they have slain-intelligent monsters, slaughtered tomb robbers, and ancient hill folk. Although these allies are minions, they are hardier than most such creatures, and they serve to remind the Barrowhaunts of the horrible deaths they have inflicted upon others. These lingering spirits do not want to see the Barrowhaunts' curse end. Consequently, they fight hard to keep the Barrowhaunts from being destroyed.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

I just made an encounter for an online game and found the Lingering Monster Spirit, through the online monster compendium (but can also be found in threats to the Nentir valley Monster vault). It suited the feel I was going for, so I included a lot of them. Now I see there might be a problem. They have Resist 20 all except radiant! That's a lot! Can it really be right? None of the PC's in this group have radiant-attacks. But thankfully they are level 12 and have both a barbarian and a rogue (with d8s for sneak attack), so they should be be to get them down. It just seems completely overpowered for a level 9 minion.

Of course  can just arbitrarily change the value to something I find fitting, even removing it. But the PC's know they have 20 now and I don't want a rollback. I am just curious, fom further encounters, if this is something that is actually balanced.

Comments?

If you are worried about the PCs not being able to kill it, you can always give them access to a consumeable or ten that does radiant damage.  Holy Handgrenade GO!
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Or just not use them.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Or just not use them.

But...

But...

Holy Hand-Grenade! 
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
part of my childhood that.  Totally going to try to find a way to make the party I DM go on a ghostbusters kind of short adventure with holy hand grenades and a crazy gnomes vacuum ghost sucker !
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

part of my childhood that.  Totally going to try to find a way to make the party I DM go on a ghostbusters kind of short adventure with holy hand grenades and a crazy gnomes vacuum ghost sucker !

I am currently doing a mission in my ongoing campaign that is very ghostbusters themed.  Nobody in the party has caught onto it (as its still in the early part of this particular quest) or if they have nobody has said anything.  But they do have a box to capture evil spirits in, a character who has a lazorgun with a backpack charger and a helpful big green spirit that likes to eat everything...
Show

I am currently doing a mission in my ongoing campaign that is very ghostbusters themed.  Nobody in the party has caught onto it (as its still in the early part of this particular quest) or if they have nobody has said anything.  But they do have a box to capture evil spirits in, a character who has a lazorgun with a backpack charger and a helpful big green spirit that likes to eat everything...

oh really ?  And no one caught onto it ?  Somehow that makes me sadface.  Well maybe once the reboot happens hehe

Hey if you notice that your party seems to really like certain aspects of challenges / whatever feel free to PM me with some details.  I wouldn't getting some ideas
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

oh really ?  And no one caught onto it ?  Somehow that makes me sadface.  Well maybe once the reboot happens hehe

Hey if you notice that your party seems to really like certain aspects of challenges / whatever feel free to PM me with some details.  I wouldn't getting some ideas

Like I said, they are just now angling towards that mission and the pieces have come together slowly over the course of many months.  There is also going to be a magical grid set up to contain spirits of the dead from coming back in a major city that is going to be shut-down by a know-it-all minor political figure in the campaign...

All that being said I run a really awkward campaign for most people to try and follow.  I don't have any goals set for my players at the start of the campaign and they get to pick them out as they go along.  The world is mine and I will change stuff for them if they have a good idea or something that fits really well, but most often it is just them stretching their legs in my world.  I try to run it as true to a sandbox as possible.

What I've found out about my players in particular is they like the sense of scale.  They have 3 threats right now that they know they can't handle head on and are constantly trying to find new ways of dealing with the threats.  As they gain power and allies more and more of the world opens up to them and they seem to really enjoy not being able to brute-force a lot of things.

Edit: One thing that seems universally loved however is the arcs I've built to take them to their paragon paths.  Basically 2 sessions in a row will focus almost exclusively on the person "unlocking" their paragon path and they get a lot of cool toys to use when they do so.

The other big thing that my players love are my Player Reward Cards.  In-so-much that they have said that my game has an extra element of play in it.  You have Face for talking to people, Scout for figuring out what is ahead and The Shocker for generating cards at table. 
Show