Druids with pets too OP?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I wanted to know if I'm interpreting how a druid works incorrectly. Are druids able to summon their pets as a minor and able to attack right away as a standard in one turn? Because the way I see it there would be literally no reason in attacking the pet because the next turn he's out and attacking again. This seems really OP and ridiculous. 
So I wanted to know if I'm interpreting how a druid works incorrectly. Are druids able to summon their pets as a minor and able to attack right away as a standard in one turn? Because the way I see it there would be literally no reason in attacking the pet because the next turn he's out and attacking again. This seems really OP and ridiculous. 

You're talking about the Sentinel I take it...

Remember, the minor action costs the druid a healing surge. Its not 'free'. If there is tactical value in killing the animal then it makes sense, and since it appears with 1 HS worth of hit points killing it is approximately as easy as doing the same damage to the druid itself.

Its not OP at all. In fact its not really all THAT special, though having a companion ain't bad. Tactically the sentinel is a pretty weak class, so "unlimited puppies and bearsies" really isn't going to break it any.
That is not dead which may eternal lie

Also, from an optimization standpoint, the pet is really terribly statted.  Most monsters will ignore it not because it doesn't do much to the Sentinel to kill it, but because its effect on the battlefield is negligible.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Killing the pet costs the druid surges to resummon it.  He runs out, he can't resummon, or, for that matter, be healed.  Surges are a resource that cannot be regained in large amounts without an extended reast.

Unless you're talking about the various Summoning dailies, in which case, they're dailies for a reason; and he's usually going to be better off summoning them, doing something else with his standard, and letting them use their instinctive action at the end of his turn anyway...
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Sign In to post comments