I bought my deck at Wal-Mart -- lower prices, smaller demons.

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
A friend of mine who's better than me at the game pointed out an idea that hadn't occurred to me, and encouraged me to try it since it'll be fairly cheap to build.  Basically, it's blackish aggro powered by Heartless Summoning and newly cheapened flying fatties.  I seek advice because the deck seems to call to me for a second color -- but I don't know which.  The skeleton looks like this:

4 Heartless Summoning
3 Bloodgift Demon
3 Desecration Demon
2 Nefarox
2 Griselbrand
2 Reaper from the Abyss
2 Necropolis Regent

And some utility cards like Murder and Duress.

As for the second color, my initial thought is to just go suicide black and do some early disruption with discard and creature destruction, and then lay the heavies and start punching them in the life total.

But if I go blue -- countermagic is always great, and then there's bounce.  If I go white, that's even more and better creature control against the field -- Pacifism is pretty rude vs. Thragtusk and makes sure Falkenrath Aristocrat gets only a single swing.  Also opens up Unburial Rites and Lingering Souls for chump-blocking.  If I go green, there's mana acceleration for if I don't pull Heartless, and I can play with cards like Sheltering Word to protect the demons.  Red gives great meta with Pillar of Flame, Slaughter Games, and Havoc Festival.

What do you think I should do for the rest of the deck?
I'll throw this out there before beginning: This deck is too slow to be very competitive. 

Now, that said, I think you should add green and white. This allows you to play the following cards that could* work well

Thragtusk
descendants' path
Farseek
Ranger's Path
Thragtusk
Unburial Rites
Grisly Salvage
Mulch
Deathrite Shaman
Thragtusk
Mana Bloom 
Borderland Ranger 

and lastly, Thragtusk

You need to get your biggies out fast, and green is the way to go. Splashing white for unburial rites is also a good place to go.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

While I don't necessarily agree that this deck is too slow (T2 Summoning, T3 Bloodgift 4/3 flyer?), it is definitely not ready for any second color unless it is splashed lightly--your creature costs are very demanding of black mana so it will be difficult to play consistently with anything else.

Duress is good.

Duty-Bound Dead is pretty terrible but his exalted trigger can be decent if you need low-drops urgently, for whatever reason. Regenerating blocker in a pinch. Most likely don't want to play this or any other 1-2 drop creatures.

Diregraf Ghoul and friends are meh. It (hopefully) turns into a 1/1 before you can attack with it. 

What you do need is more things to curve out from a T2 Summoning, to alleviate the problem of slowness:
Fiend of the Shadows may or may not be preferable to Shimian Specter.
Dread Slaver shuts down early ground aggression but isn't that great otherwise. 
If you choose to splash :U:, Havengul Lich and Grimgrin, Corpse-born open up.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
While I don't necessarily agree that this deck is too slow (T2 Summoning, T3 Bloodgift 4/3 flyer?)

There is a 48.8% chance of drawing the card by T2, assuming you elect to go second. That doesn't seem reliable enough, given that it's the only way to get out a creature before T4. You might be able to improve your chances by an aggressive mulligan strategy, but it still seems unreliable. Would be fun when it works though.

I like the idea of this deck. Heartless summoning seems so cool to me.
Have you thought about the following two cards.
Bitterheart Witch
Curse of Death's Hold

You might even want to try fitting in either 1 Curse of Misfortunes, 1 Curse of Echoes, or Curse of Exhaustion...or all three, one of each.

I like the following setup. Let me know what you think. It's based largely on your concoction. 

I put in the 4 Slitherhead because it is useful in the graveyard if it dies on turn 2 AND it's a 1 mana +1 counter late game. Slitherhead and the Ghoul are just blockers in the beginning really. The Ghoul will survive the Summoning and can still block. 

7 Removal Spells. Murder....is murder and kills anything right? Dead Weight....just goes with the flavor of Death's Hold. Desecration Demon can overcome the counters...if they still have creatures. And he's a 6/6 for 4 even if you don't get the summoning so duh. The bloodgift demon isn't really as fast as the DDemon...but he can dig into your deck. Might want to fiddle around with him. Bloodline keeper gives you chump blockers and isn't TOO slow. You might get her out if you can stall with removal and the 1 drops.

I like that if you get the summoning out and you have a witch you can start cursing them. If you get the 1 misfortunes out it does the work of fetching the other curses but if you need help ASAP with creatures you can fetch Death's Hold. 

Well, let me know what you think. It was fun looking for cards for this deck. I really like your idea. Seems really fun to play. 
I think that heartless summoning decks can be good in the current format, its just one of those underappreciated things. Ive been running a heartless summoning build as of lately and it has been very good, it has some trouble with aggro builds sometimes but other than that seems to run just fine.

creatures

4 Bloodgift Demon
4 Desecration Demon
2 Disciple of Bolas
4 Vampire Nighthawk
4 Bloodline Keeper /
2 Zealous Conscripts
2 Olivia Voldaren dont have these yet, ive replaced them temporarily with 1 searing spear and 1 mizzium mortars

spells

2 Faithless Looting
3 Mizzium Mortars
2 Sign in Blood
1 Mutilate
Searing Spear
ultimate price
2 tragic slip

enchantments

4 Heartless Summoning

Lands

4 Blood Crypt
4 Dragonskull Summit
9 Swamp
4 Overgrown Tomb
1 Stensia Bloodhall

sideboard

3 Victim of Night
2 Slaughter Games
1 Searing Spear
4 Deathrite Shaman
3 Rakdos Keyrune
Ultimate Price

the strength of this deck is that it can function with or without heartless summoning just play it like a normal deck if you dont run into heartless, its slower but its fast enough to survive aggro decks if you side properly and its throws down enough fatties to keep the enemy on edge. plus with 4 bloodgift demons its very common to be in a state in which you constantly have card advantage.

not playing dreadbore because $10 for 1 sorcery speed kill spell is rediculous... if the price drops to something like $1 a piece then it would be worth the investment.
You have to have an alternate means of accomplishing your strategy; you can't rely on one play-set of cards. Unless of course your okay with losing more often than not.

Unburial Rites is one way, but it requires self-mill and that means . Of course, Rites itself begs for to be played.

The alternative is to build a deck that can compete without Heartless Summoning and use just a few fatties for when you do pull it. I don't know if that is really a vaible strategy.
While Unburial Rites does like some self mill aspect, it does not have to necessarily be blue. There are plenty of ways to get fatties into the yard via Grisly Salvage and Mulch.

So minimum colors for a type of reanimator deck would be GWB (Junk). 
100th post on 5/29/12 500th post on 8/20/12