12/10/2012 Feature: "Completing the Premier Play Picture for 2013"

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of the feature article "Completing the Premier Play Picture for 2013", which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

It's a little upsetting that there isn't an event in the south. Nothing in Nashville or Atlanta? Louisville is the closest thing but its even an 8 hour drive... and beyond that everything would have to be flown to. Good job WOTC on leaving us out on the fun. I guess you could arguee Miami, but thats a good 10+ hour drive for most Southerners... its 14 for me :/
I was just thinking it would be really cool to make the image/map a bit interactive. For example it would be awesome if when you scrolled over an event on the map it would show you a bit of information (such as the location, date, and format of the event). I like that it was there but it would also be nice the just quickly scroll over what is in my area and be able to determine what is close and when without having to look up and guess at each city that I'm not familiar with.

On a related note, I'm planning on attending my first GP after getting back into magic! (or I suppose it could also be considered getting into it as my previous experience was playing casual during lunch in middleschool and I just got my DCI this season...) I've been getting pretty good result in events around here and I think it's that time where going to a GP would be a fun and useful experience as I wouldn't COMPLETELY get my face smashed in day one. Can't wait for later this year!

Edit: I saw Detroit on the list. Home court might convince me to do a second GP. Guess I should start getting into modern :D 
No GP in Portugal at all? In this moment, with so many problems and the game still exploding in participation and excitement? That's very, very disapointing. It's really sad. Seems we´ve been wasting our time keeping things afloat while Devir breaks up and Wizards sits doing nothing for the game.
It's a little upsetting that there isn't an event in the south. Nothing in Nashville or Atlanta? Louisville is the closest thing but its even an 8 hour drive... and beyond that everything would have to be flown to. Good job WOTC on leaving us out on the fun. I guess you could arguee Miami, but thats a good 10+ hour drive for most Southerners... its 14 for me :/

Did you look at the map? Is Charlotte no longer in the south? Hint: It is further south than Nashville! As Helene said about player participation, etc. they are spacing out the GPs over areas where equal-ish players are. Seems like the Southeast US will get 2 GPs a year and this year they just happen to be in Charlotte and Miami. They might even include DC, although it's more "mid-atlantic" than southeast to me. I agree Atlanta is more central to the area, but they can't just pick the same locations every year.
No GP in Portugal at all? In this moment, with so many problems and the game still exploding in participation and excitement? That's very, very disapointing. It's really sad. Seems we´ve been wasting our time keeping things afloat while Devir breaks up and Wizards sits doing nothing for the game.

We've just had GP Lisbon, which was a great success (I for one enjoyed multiple instances of all you can eat meat, as well as finishing 65th). I suspect that more may be going Portugal's way in future years, but it's a little soon to go complaining you didn't get one in 2013. Most/all of next year's GPs were scheduled and chosen long before Lisbon took place
"Sorry we warped your formats. Here's a foil."

Did you look at the map? Is Charlotte no longer in the south? Hint: It is further south than Nashville! As Helene said about player participation, etc. they are spacing out the GPs over areas where equal-ish players are. Seems like the Southeast US will get 2 GPs a year and this year they just happen to be in Charlotte and Miami. They might even include DC, although it's more "mid-atlantic" than southeast to me. I agree Atlanta is more central to the area, but they can't just pick the same locations every year.

Charlotte is not more south then Nashville. I happen to live Alabama, and the dead center of the southeast, and there is nothing remotely close to my area. GP Nashville and ATL both had a thousand people last year, so I'd say the player participation was pretty high. I just think they could of done a better job with the tournament placement. Miami might as well not even be considered part of the south, thats a crazy drive for half the people who live in Florida. Charrlotte is just a hot spot cause it's an airline hub. I guess I'm just feeling a little left out... and I know I'm not the only one. My FNM is 50+ some nights and I know a lot of them are crying foul also. I get tired of having to rely on Starcity's circuit, which will be hitting Memphis, B'ham, ATL (twice), and probably Nashville in the second half of the year.
Meh. Nothing addressing the fact that the lack of a Nationals is by and large considered woefully inadequate.

And a $20,000 bump to each Pro Tour isn't really that much of a bump, though I'm sure players that cash will appreciate it. I think more players overall would appreciate something like a fourth Pro Tour a whole lot more, though...
Charlotte is not more south then Nashville. I happen to live Alabama, and the dead center of the southeast, and there is nothing remotely close to my area. GP Nashville and ATL both had a thousand people last year, so I'd say the player participation was pretty high. I just think they could of done a better job with the tournament placement. Miami might as well not even be considered part of the south, thats a crazy drive for half the people who live in Florida. Charrlotte is just a hot spot cause it's an airline hub. I guess I'm just feeling a little left out... and I know I'm not the only one. My FNM is 50+ some nights and I know a lot of them are crying foul also. I get tired of having to rely on Starcity's circuit, which will be hitting Memphis, B'ham, ATL (twice), and probably Nashville in the second half of the year.

I'm trying hard to not feel I have to be that guy, but cmon, just look on a big map or google their latitudes. Charlotte is 100% further south than Nashville (by about 1 degree of latitude). I agree Florida is like not even really part of the south though. Sorry about your misfortunes, but take heart, next year you will likely have at least one GP much closer to you (which was mostly my point in the first place).

We've just had GP Lisbon, which was a great success (I for one enjoyed multiple instances of all you can eat meat, as well as finishing 65th). I suspect that more may be going Portugal's way in future years, but it's a little soon to go complaining you didn't get one in 2013. Most/all of next year's GPs were scheduled and chosen long before Lisbon took place

What, another seven years? Come on, if the Portuguese account wasn't dealt by a Spanish girl that lives in London I suspect things would be different. It is disapointing, we needed a good will nod from Wizards after all the problems in the last year beeing overcomed with such great sacrifices by the PT stores and gamers, leading to a rise in participation and enthusiasm close to the early 2000's wave of Magic interest. Oh well. Good luck to you though, next time just one to go to the 64, hope you make it.
What, another seven years? Come on, if the Portuguese account wasn't dealt by a Spanish girl that lives in London I suspect things would be different. It is disapointing, we needed a good will nod from Wizards after all the problems in the last year beeing overcomed with such great sacrifices by the PT stores and gamers, leading to a rise in participation and enthusiasm close to the early 2000's wave of Magic interest. Oh well. Good luck to you though, next time just one to go to the 64, hope you make it.

Are the Spanish ones too far away?

If I'm looking at that map correctly, Germany also doesn't get one this year. So don't take getting no GP personal I guess.

Are the Spanish ones too far away?

If I'm looking at that map correctly, Germany also doesn't get one this year. So don't take getting no GP personal I guess.

Well germany needs to get it's gambling laws fixed

I'm trying hard to not feel I have to be that guy, but cmon, just look on a big map or google their latitudes. Charlotte is 100% further south than Nashville (by about 1 degree of latitude). I agree Florida is like not even really part of the south though. Sorry about your misfortunes, but take heart, next year you will likely have at least one GP much closer to you (which was mostly my point in the first place).

Houston is also in the South - perhaps it is closer to him?  Or maybe he just had the bad luck of being in exactly the wrong part of the South this year.

I lived in NC for a long time, and it was quite frustrating that despite our Magic playing population being larger than those of either GA or VA, both of those states got a lot more large events than we did, such as big prereleases, GPs, etc.  That's just how things are, so it's nice to see NC getting a GP in Charlotte for once (too bad I live across the country now and can't attend).

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...