12/5/2012 Feature: "Planeswalker Guide to Gatecrash: Part 1"

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of the feature article "Planeswalker Guide to Gatecrash: Part 1", which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Boros Boros Boros Boros Boros
Dimir Dimir Dimir Dimir Dimir

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Damn, i wasn't expecting some Gatecrash fluff
I like this new take on the Dimir. It was a little silly the last time around to say "nobody knows about them, everyone thinks there's only nine guilds." Instead now they're a sinister "open secret" that everyone knows of, but doesn't know much about. And those who ask questions probably dissapear mysteriously in the night :3 I also like the tidbit about the alley where you can pay a fee to have your problem mysteriously solved for you. It's both sketchy and suspicious, but at the same time rather "huh. well, that was actually... kind of nice of them!"
The one thing that bugs me just a bit is how on much of their artwork you see their symbol so openly displayed. you'd think a guild obsessed with secrecy would guard their symbol a little more closely? Unless they're using it to scare people! XD 
Dat Minotaur art. Day-um.  Please be artwork for the guild Champion in Dragon's Maze.  Need Legendary Minotaur.  Need bad.  I'm gonna Didgeridoo that card so hard.  Didgeridoo it right into play.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
I found the inconsistencies in the description of the Dimir jarring.  In particular:

"Anything predictable can be tracked, so the Dimir have no special days, customs, or rituals."

And yet:

"Dinrova Heights: Mages' Meeting Ground. On the rooftop of a massive building known as the Dinrova, the highest-ranked guildmages of the Dimir hold counsel. Normally, the rooftop is closed. During the nocturnal rites, though, the roof panels open, revealing the Dinrova's bat-like architecture, as typical of the Dimir. Specters and other unspeakable horrors patrol the skies above the Dinrova to ward off any prying eyes or unwanted visitors."

So, not only do the highest-ranked guildmages have a special ritual, they always hold it at the same location, accompanied by the obvious opening of the roof (revealing the guild's signature architecture) and the presence of flying horrors.
I found the inconsistencies in the description of the Dimir jarring.  In particular:

"Anything predictable can be tracked, so the Dimir have no special days, customs, or rituals."

And yet:

"Dinrova Heights: Mages' Meeting Ground. On the rooftop of a massive building known as the Dinrova, the highest-ranked guildmages of the Dimir hold counsel. Normally, the rooftop is closed. During the nocturnal rites, though, the roof panels open, revealing the Dinrova's bat-like architecture, as typical of the Dimir. Specters and other unspeakable horrors patrol the skies above the Dinrova to ward off any prying eyes or unwanted visitors."

So, not only do the highest-ranked guildmages have a special ritual, they always hold it at the same location, accompanied by the obvious opening of the roof (revealing the guild's signature architecture) and the presence of flying horrors.

I think it was intended to imply that the Dimir are "public" now, despite error in saying one then describing the opposite.

Did you notice how the Boros are an Army without a nation to fight? Do they make war upon themselves, Boros vs. Boros, or are they instead just some militarized police force with nothing to do? In case you didn't notice, the Azorius are now the investigators, arresters, judges, detainers, and imprisoners. Judge, Jury, and Contractor-to-the-Rakdos-as-Executioner.

"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
Dat Minotaur art. Day-um.  Please be artwork for the guild Champion in Dragon's Maze.  Need Legendary Minotaur.  Need bad.  I'm gonna Didgeridoo that card so hard.  Didgeridoo it right into play.

It's a pity there aren't any other legendary minotaurs, especially ones that are Red and White. You can bet it will have two "u"s in it. Dayuum.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)