Voracious Hatchling can go to HELL!!!!

70 posts / 0 new
Last post
Seriously, this card is nice and all, but there is no way I am playing it only to have it lose a -1/-1 counter every time I play a spell, whether you have one or not...not after I have been through the midnight guard fiasco, and the well of lost dreams...I just can't do it again...
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Mini-rant is over. Feel free to lock this thread, or stroke a labradoodle. 
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
The card is terrible anyway. It's really only good in a deck that can move counters around imo.
Avenger of Zendikar is not game... Got a question as to whether a card without shroud or hexproof is good? Answer is, dies to removal. "Control Slivers"
While i agree he is not amazing. He had to be dealt with our he gets nasty. In my mind this is great for a deck trying to sick a bloodgift demon, liege or divinity.
I'm surprised you hate it so much. I've actually been finding Voracious Hatchling to be a nice 4-drop, and it's a creature I remember playing regularly back when Eventide came out. I might replace it when I've unlocked more of the Grim Procession deck, but for now I'm keeping it.

I've surprised a couple opponents with it by waiting until blockers have been assigned, then playing Unmake to remove two counters and kill another creature, often resulting in a creature advantage.

The Lifelink is just a bonus, imo.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

If you think about your 5 drops you have liege which is amazing with hatchling, bloodgift demon which likes having a lifelinker to off set the life loss and divinity which turns hatchling into a 4/4 then thanks it for the 4 life. I think in 1v1 there are better cards like doomed traveller but for 2hg where traveller is bad, hatchling is a great work horse.
I'm surprised you hate it so much. I've actually been finding Voracious Hatchling to be a nice 4-drop, and it's a creature I remember playing regularly back when Eventide came out. I might replace it when I've unlocked more of the Grim Procession deck, but for now I'm keeping it.

I've surprised a couple opponents with it by waiting until blockers have been assigned, then playing Unmake to remove two counters and kill another creature, often resulting in a creature advantage.

The Lifelink is just a bonus, imo.

The card itself is decent, nothing more nothing less, but what is stopping me playing it is it's ability activating to remove counters, whether it has them or not. Every time I play a spell I have to groan at it, and it doesn't factor into my end build anyway, so meh. Okay, back to unlocking and stalking your cardspotter thread....almost simultaneously...

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
If you think about your 5 drops you have liege which is amazing with hatchling, bloodgift demon which likes having a lifelinker to off set the life loss and divinity which turns hatchling into a 4/4 then thanks it for the 4 life. I think in 1v1 there are better cards like doomed traveller but for 2hg where traveller is bad, hatchling is a great work horse.

Tdoomed traveller is great in 2HG as a creature I can both stall with, sac to leech them with the ghost council, or just swing early. Hatchling can be good, but it's a pain quite frankly, and not a creature i'm running at all. 
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
The hatchling is a control decoy. You play it turn 4, then turn 5 play a better 5 drop, and if your opponent hasn't already used a removal spell on him, he has to choose which to get rid of, and the hatchling can be hard to deal with if they decide to remove the other creature.  In a deck where 50% or more of the spells are gonna be creatures, you need  the creatures you do run to be able to do some damage, and affect the board which it does. 
Much better than the blood-hunter bat, because 9/10 times the opponent isn't gonna waste removal on a bat, or the 4cmc vampires for that matter. 
I don't think you need to stall in 2hg with all the removal you can survive anyway. Also i am not a fan of ghost council double black and white makes it more like a 6 drop. You cannot play it consistently.
The hatchling is a control decoy. You play it turn 4, then turn 5 play a better 5 drop, and if your opponent hasn't already used a removal spell on him, he has to choose which to get rid of, and the hatchling can be hard to deal with if they decide to remove the other creature.  In a deck where 50% or more of the spells are gonna be creatures, you need  the creatures you do run to be able to do some damage, and affect the board which it does. 
Much better than the blood-hunter bat, because 9/10 times the opponent isn't gonna waste removal on a bat, or the 4cmc vampires for that matter. 

I don't think you need to stall in 2hg with all the removal you can survive anyway. Also i am not a fan of ghost council double black and white makes it more like a 6 drop. You cannot play it consistently.

Neither of you is looking at the (addmitedly petty) reason i'm not playing it anyway, but okay. 

The creatures I do run Aaron already affect the board just how I want them to, this 4 drop will do nothing but tilt my mana curve higher than I would like and is easy enough to deal with anyway. It hits the board as a 2/2, meaning an electrolyze or shock can take it out before the counters are removed if you play anything else. The better removal will still be saved for my other creatures, and this one doesn't synergize with mine nor my partners game-plan anyway. Lifelink is noce, and i'm sure the creature can be a pain in the right circumstances, but that can be said of almost anything else too. 

The ghost council may be stricter to play, but it's a card that will be usefull at every stage of the game, and turn 6 is fine since I would rarely frop it before turn five when I can protect it anyway. Stalling is VERY useful in 2HG, because if you don't survive early on, when a lot of things could kill you, do you know what happens? You lose. The traveller is a bargain creature, can be played at any point for a single white mana, and can be sacced if I don't need him. Twice. And as a workhorse, i'll take restless appirition over the hatchling any day. Don't need another spell to pump it, and it has far more resistance to being killed. And it's cheaper. And in the extreme lategame, it's still a great topdeck, that can pump multiple times depending on your lands. 

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I guess it helps i run it with OD or DP that help stall so the travellers are a bit redundant. I love it when a deck is designed with choices because there are a few extra good cards like this deck. Not because you have to choose which of the bad cards do you have to run like some of the decks. Hopefully 2014 will do away with all the dead space like thunder dragons.
Seriously, this card is nice and all, but there is no way I am playing it only to have it lose a -1/-1 counter every time I play a spell, whether you have one or not...not after I have been through the midnight guard fiasco, and the well of lost dreams...I just can't do it again...

Exactly.
This card was an auto not include for me.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Seriously, at most it's going to stall the game for 3 seconds when you cast something that's both white and black. And how many spells do you need to cast after it already removed its counters in order for you to win the game? Probably not many. It's a good card, and well worth including. Actually, a lot of this deck is starting to look like my irl B/W deck. My paper deck runs Voracius Hatchling, Deathbringer Liege, Zealous Persecution, and Restless Apparition.
Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp2013/ Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/ I am Blue/White
Without having played the deck yet, if there was aother Deathbringer Liege I think it would be more worthwhile (not saying that it isn't worthwhile, mind).

Turn 4: Voracious Hatchling
Turn 5: Deathbringer Liege, attack with 6/6 Lifelink.

Your next spell will tap/kill a creature and make the Hatchling 8/8.
Only with a single Liege it's not really a reliable scenario.
I guess it helps i run it with OD or DP that help stall so the travellers are a bit redundant. I love it when a deck is designed with choices because there are a few extra good cards like this deck. Not because you have to choose which of the bad cards do you have to run like some of the decks. Hopefully 2014 will do away with all the dead space like thunder dragons.

I agree, so many ways to build this deck, even without the ten cards, which would have been nice. Then again, I love ED, there was hardly any doubt I would love this too. 

Exactly.
This card was an auto not include for me.

That's it devil, you know the score man. That thing is annoying. 

Seriously, at most it's going to stall the game for 3 seconds when you cast something that's both white and black. And how many spells do you need to cast after it already removed its counters in order for you to win the game? Probably not many. It's a good card, and well worth including. Actually, a lot of this deck is starting to look like my irl B/W deck. My paper deck runs Voracius Hatchling, Deathbringer Liege, Zealous Persecution, and Restless Apparition.

As I said, I don't like the card for my build as it is, it's decent, but has no place. I have enough lifegain in here, and 6/6 has never impressed me without evasion, nevermind 6/6 that is a 2/2 to start. And seriously, it annoys the hell out of me, and I play ED as my main...

Without having played the deck yet, if there was aother Deathbringer Liege I think it would be more worthwhile (not saying that it isn't worthwhile, mind).

Turn 4: Voracious Hatchling
Turn 5: Deathbringer Liege, attack with 6/6 Lifelink.

Your next spell will tap/kill a creature and make the Hatchling 8/8.
Only with a single Liege it's not really a reliable scenario.

That's nice, it really is, but i'll stick with my method of holding them off while I bleed them dry. Besides, I always have the compulsion to play things AFTER my liege, lol, and old habits die hard. 

This concludes this multi-quote, sponsered by Karstien. 

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
That's nice, it really is, but i'll stick with my method of holding them off while I bleed them dry. Besides, I always have the compulsion to play things AFTER my liege, lol, and old habits die hard. 

Well there you go, a creature that actually works better played before the Liege.
One in the Pro column for the Hatchling.

Well there you go, a creature that actually works better played before the Liege.

Ahh, but after the liege comes the Divinity...Really, I have nothing to take out for the hatchlings at all! 

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White

Ahh, but after the liege comes the Divinity...Really, I have nothing to take out for the hatchlings at all! 

No, after the Liege comes attack with 6/6 Lifelink. Then comes the Divinity, prossibly 10/10 because of the Hatchling then game is pretty much a foregone conclusion (okay, not necessarily, but still).

But yeah, not trying to sell you in particular on the Hatchlings, just saying they aren't as difficult to manage as "I have to cast 4 spells to get any use out of them".

EDIT: and also, I mentioned that it's not quite as likely because there's only one Liege inthe deck.

No, after the Liege comes attack with 6/6 Lifelink. Then comes the Divinity, prossibly 10/10 because of the Hatchling then game is pretty much a foregone conclusion (okay, not necessarily, but still).

But yeah, not trying to sell you in particular on the Hatchlings, just saying they aren't as difficult to manage as "I have to cast 4 spells to get any use out of them".

EDIT: and also, I mentioned that it's not quite as likely because there's only one Liege inthe deck.

Lol, I know you're not, and that isn't my problem with them by the way...it's that once they ARE 6/6...they continue to activate for every spell, and it's annoying the hell out of me...petty, I know. 

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White

Lol, I know you're not, and that isn't my problem with them by the way...it's that once they ARE 6/6...they continue to activate for every spell, and it's annoying the hell out of me...petty, I know. 

Ah... I understand now.
is lousy with unnecessary activation times....
Surely it would be simple enough for them to put in the code a line that checks whether or not the Hatchling has any counters on it and if not, not have it do its little dance. The same could be said with Well of Lost Dreams and not having any land untapped.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

Surely it would be simple enough for them to put in the code a line that checks whether or not the Hatchling has any counters on it and if not, not have it do its little dance. The same could be said with Well of Lost Dreams and not having any land untapped.

Technically though? Them's the rules.
And they have been selective with stuff like that in the past and it's led to problems (re: may =must).
Nowhere near as annoying as Exalted triggers, and he's won me enough games that I'd never cut him because of the annoyance factor.
Nowhere near as annoying as Exalted triggers, and he's won me enough games that I'd never cut him because of the annoyance factor.

You think that's annoying? I was playing in a tournament, me with CL, and my opponent with GG. I get to a point where I have 2 Soul Wardens, Well of Lost Dreams, and 2 Ajani's Pridemates, and he has Krenko out with about 12-15 goblins, then he decides to double his goblins. We sat there for the next 10 minutes watching triggers.
Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp2013/ Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/ I am Blue/White
what? really! i'm lovin it. on round 5 just toss some creature control then use one of the pumpers and you gotta huge life linker comin at them.

You think that's annoying? I was playing in a tournament, me with CL, and my opponent with GG. I get to a point where I have 2 Soul Wardens, Well of Lost Dreams, and 2 Ajani's Pridemates, and he has Krenko out with about 12-15 goblins, then he decides to double his goblins. We sat there for the next 10 minutes watching triggers.

Don't remind me... I accidentally played Crosswinds against Celestial Light and made it to 9 mana...

Lol I can't even imagine
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
I played a game where I had 24 creatures in play and ten sublime archangel. That was hilarious.

Technically though? Them's the rules.
And they have been selective with stuff like that in the past and it's led to problems (re: may =must).

Didn't we just have a whole tread where Wizards_Sean said they make optimization choices on a case-by-case basis?
If they can break the rules for Momir Vig to make his ability not optional, they surely they could break the rules here when it wouldn't matter at all.
In fact, the rationale Sean gave was that it was to speed up the interface!

IMHO, this just reinforces my belief they don't use the cards they code.  Someone at some point should have played a few games with this deck to check the mechanics and should have noticed this.
@mega,
Almost topping you, or maybe I am.
Think I may have posted abou this a few months ago.

I have 3 Wardens, 2 Pridemates and the Well.
Partner doesn't have auto resolve ticked.

Partner generates 24 Wolf tokens.....

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Show

The card triggers whether it has counters on it or not because that's how the card was designed.  Even in MTGO, this happens. 

Does that mean I'm taking it out of my deck?  Probably not because I like having, potentially, a 6/6 lifelink for 4 mana even though it starts out as a 2/2.  All Hatchlings of this type operate in this fashion so I'm used to it.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I have been loving me some Voracious Hatchling.  It really is one of those cards where you have to deal with it soon or it will run away with a win (or start giving you a huge advantage anyhow).  I have also used combat tricks with it as Sean mentioned, works great.  I wouldn't replace this guy for anything!

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

The card triggers whether it has counters on it or not because that's how the card was designed.  Even in MTGO, this happens.

Triggering isn't the problem.  Exalted effects trigger all at once taking up no time.
It's the *resolving* that's taking too long.  Especially when there is *nothing to resolve*.
Or am I missing some sort of situation with these decks where you'd want to be able to stop the game after the triggering spell resolves but before the meaningless removal of a non-existent token has resolved?

Triggering isn't the problem.  Exalted effects trigger all at once taking up no time.

Wait really?
I've never had Exalted trigger all at once. I don't even think I have all of ED unlocked because of that...

I think he mistyped and meant something else because Exalted triggers most certainly do not all trigger at once, even with "auto-resolution" turned on.
I think he misinterpreted the difference between trigger and resolve.
Avenger of Zendikar is not game... Got a question as to whether a card without shroud or hexproof is good? Answer is, dies to removal. "Control Slivers"

Would it be better like this...

It's not a problem putting the effect *on* the stack, the problem is that it takes too long to come *off* the stack.

So go ahead and let it activate if the rules say so, my point is to then speed up the part of it that can't possibly have a logical response from anyone.

Would it be better like this...

It's not a problem putting the effect *on* the stack, the problem is that it takes too long to come *off* the stack.

So go ahead and let it activate if the rules say so, my point is to then speed up the part of it that can't possibly have a logical response from anyone.

Yeah, agreed.  There's absolutely no reason you would ever want to respond to an effect that's literally not doing anything.
Is the lifelink effect working? seems not working