Want a new General to build, give me some suggestions

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
The only deck I currently have is my Geth, Lord of the Vault (it was my very first EDH deck, but used to use Endrek Sahr as general instead, I just made it more powerful to fight better, and the tokens fell to the wayside). The rest have been broken down over the past two years to help build my cube, pay for gas, or get other standard cards. But I want to start building another EDH deck or two so I can play some more.

Some other generals I've made decks with:

Azami, Lady of Scrolls (wizards, combo)
Myael
Mimeoplasm
Bosh, Iron Golem (mono-red, lots of artifacts)
Cromat (5 color good stuff)
Dralnu, Lich Lord
Isamaru, Hound of Konda (voltron, lots of equipemnt) 
Experiment Kraj
Reaper King (Mostly blue artifact brokeness, later became a Memnarch deck)

I enjoy my mono-black deck, but I want something different. Any suggestions?

(at)MrEnglish22

*Rubs hands together*

What are your mechanical interests?  What do you consider 'good stuff'?  What type of player are you?  What is your crowd like?
I vote a Linvala, Keeper of Silence "No one can do anything" deck with stuff like Winter Orb, Kismet, Hokori, Dust Drinker, Icy Manipulator, etc.
I find myself attracted to green.

Trostani
Edric
Glissa

Other than those, I've really been digging Michiko
I'm currently tweaking a Riku list into a deck like the old heartbeat combo decks.
Pick something unusual. Some old legend like Xira Arien or Rubinia Soulsinger.

3DH4LIF3

Pick something unusual. Some old legend like Xira Arien or Rubinia Soulsinger.

This.  I used to play Rafiq of the Many, but when I switched him out for other generals, I feel as though I've grown as an MTG player.

Kudos to you if you decide to play a mono-red deck without Norin the Wary, though...

EDIT: Yeah, after being reminded of a few mono-red commanders, I went back and looked...there are quite a few more than I originally thought(rather embarassed to have forgotten about Krenko, too...).  So, strike that last comment.
Mono red has a dearth of cool commanders. We need an awesome mono red legendary dragon. Ryusei and tarox aren't good enough.

I use heartless hidetsugu... because I had one. I would much rather have something skin to utvara hellkite as a commander.

3DH4LIF3

Kudos to you if you decide to play a mono-red deck without Norin the Wary, though...

I have Krenko, Mob Boss, and I gotta say, if you can't have fun building and playing a goblin deck, you just don't know how to have fun. 

Why not play a Zirilan of the Claw deck?  You could do some shenanigans with him, fun too.  You know... I don't have a mono-red deck, and instead of finishing my All (with a few exceptions) Foil Norin the Wary deck, I'll build this guy.
Forgot about him... seems really good with a sac effect and nim deathmantle.

3DH4LIF3

Well if we're going silly mono red you can't go wrong with Ib Halfheart, Goblin Tactician he's kind of the most flavorful goblin for that sort of thing. Other suggestions on a more serious note if color isn't an issue you can go RW and run Gisela, Blade of Goldnight or wait for Gatecrash and rock that new RW angel that leads to additional combat phases every turn she attacks. Other colors that come to mind are RU Jhoira of the Ghitu if you're looking to draw hate. BU Wrexial, the Risen Deep another meanie who more than likely will have somebody unable to block em. GR Radha, Heir to Keld is just awesome! For three colors I'm fond of Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper. thats it for now if you have a better idea of what you want ill take a look later and throw some more ideas at ya.
I'd forgotten that I'd posted this thread until just now, because I started looking for an EDH general again. Thanks you guys for all the suggestions.

I was considering Jhoria for quite a while (even started writing up a decklist) then I realized that everybody hates Jhoria unless you are playing Jhoria. I'd go for Linvala, but someone in my playgroup already tried that out, and it didn't really do anything except drag out the game for an extra 30 minutes.

I'm not sure if I just want to go for max durdle or not. I've got this pile of mana rocks, Time Stretch, and Draw X effects sitting on my desk here, Krenko definitely sounds interesting.

(at)MrEnglish22

Sign In to post comments